Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Combat weather forecaster? Who knew?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had no idea. I saw this link on a weather page and saw these folks train at Pope Army Airfield which is about an hour away from where I live so I read this article that details the training. I had no idea the guys even existed within the military but it makes sense. 

This is some of their training....

The graduates who donned their grey berets on Thursday have already been in the special warfare pipeline for nearly a year. According to the Air Force recruiting website, the lengthy training regime for SR begins the same way as Air Force CCT and PJ training: airmen undergo eight weeks of special warfare prep, where they undergo strength and conditioning training, rucking, running and swimming; four weeks of special warfare assessment and selection; four weeks of pre-dive school; five weeks of dive school; three weeks of airborne school; four weeks of military free-fall training; and three weeks of survival, evasion, resistance and escape training. Then, after all that, they are finally ready for special reconnaissance-specific training.

Could you imagine being one of these guys who gets out of the military and shows up with their resume to be a weather forcaster in the civilian market? Lol. These guys get the same training as SEALs, Delta and Rangers. The Air Force PJs are hella [BLEEP] too.
(11-13-2022, 07:56 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]I had no idea. I saw this link on a weather page and saw these folks train at Pope Army Airfield which is about an hour away from where I live so I read this article that details the training. I had no idea the guys even existed within the military but it makes sense. 

This is some of their training....

The graduates who donned their grey berets on Thursday have already been in the special warfare pipeline for nearly a year. According to the Air Force recruiting website, the lengthy training regime for SR begins the same way as Air Force CCT and PJ training: airmen undergo eight weeks of special warfare prep, where they undergo strength and conditioning training, rucking, running and swimming; four weeks of special warfare assessment and selection; four weeks of pre-dive school; five weeks of dive school; three weeks of airborne school; four weeks of military free-fall training; and three weeks of survival, evasion, resistance and escape training. Then, after all that, they are finally ready for special reconnaissance-specific training.

Could you imagine being one of these guys who gets out of the military and shows up with their resume to be a weather forcaster in the civilian market? Lol. These guys get the same training as SEALs, Delta and Rangers. The Air Force PJs are hella [BLEEP] too.

I saw an interview with one several years ago. He described being deep behind enemy lines (I don’t remember where) to make observations and once was trapped under the porch of a house while enemy soldiers stood directly over him having a conversation.
That's crazy. I think it would be a stressful job but really interesting at the same time.
That’s awesome. I didn’t read the whole article, but wonder why the need that much training when the opposition is also forecasting the weather along with so many other people. Still, wouldn’t want to mess with them. From the stories above, Carlos Hathcock had some similar and other stories that are amazing. God bless America!