Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Young Voters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Forgive the drive-by from a non-regular.

Just wanted to read folks thoughts on how conservatives and right-wingers plan to win votes from America's youth? 

Young voters clearly thwarted any potential red wave in the midterms by showing up in record numbers to vote strongly against election denying candidates, also strongly against anti-choice candidates, and significantly against Republican candidates in general.

White voters under 30 had a lower majority voting for Dems than latino/latina and Af-Amer. voters, but 51-52% of the under 30 white voters went for pro-choice, Democrat candidates.  (much higher percentage in the two minority groups) 

Is there really a way to sway that group toward conservatism in the modern era?

Already seeing calls to raise the voting age. That's unlikely. 

Despite rural households raising more children and espousing conservatism, a percentage of them will still buck their parents' beliefs as they come of age. 

What is the answer for the right to this opposition from young ppl? 

(I'll take your answers off the air LOL)
(11-13-2022, 09:17 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Forgive the drive-by from a non-regular.

Just wanted to read folks thoughts on how conservatives and right-wingers plan to win votes from America's youth? 

Young voters clearly thwarted any potential red wave in the midterms by showing up in record numbers to vote strongly against election denying candidates, also strongly against anti-choice candidates, and significantly against Republican candidates in general.

White voters under 30 had a lower majority voting for Dems than latino/latina and Af-Amer. voters, but 51-52% of the under 30 white voters went for pro-choice, Democrat candidates.  (much higher percentage in the two minority groups) 

Is there really a way to sway that group toward conservatism in the modern era?

Already seeing calls to raise the voting age. That's unlikely. 

Despite rural households raising more children and espousing conservatism, a percentage of them will still buck their parents' beliefs as they come of age. 

What is the answer for the right to this opposition from young ppl? 

(I'll take your answers off the air LOL)

It can work the other way too. Children can just as easily rebel against liberal, non-traditional values and head in the other direction. I've seen it firsthand.
Conservatives have gained a foothold with younger voters, but they will never win the young vote. The only thing that saved Republicans was that young people didn't turn out to vote. If they show up, it will be very difficult to overcome their stupidity.
Young voters will always pick those who promise them the most goodies. They're too young and naïve to know that the politicians are lying.
I'll hand it to the Democrats for playing a master hand in this election by funding far right candidates. By doing so they avoided scrutiny of their own policies by highlighting the extremes of the opposition. It was political Judo at its finest. Let's also not discount the power of social media and the tendencies of young people to conform with current trends. They are far more influenced by SM than actual discussion and debate, which in many places is not even allowed.

I believe this also begins the exorcism of Donald Trump. The results of this election and the rise of DeSantis has started a groundswell of disenchantment with the orange man. His specter has single-handedly muted the anticipated Republican gains.

As to what will drive gains for young voters to conservatism will simply be the results of living with the consequences of how they are voting now. As has been demonstrated time and time again throughout history around the world, leftism always undermines itself and only remains in power through corruption and duress. The same corruption and duress which prohibits open debate on campuses and platforms in the United States today. Let's not forget that many of the millions of illegal immigrants the Democrats are allowing to stream across our borders unchecked are fleeing entrenched leftism.
We draw the line at cheating, though. That type of corruption doesn't exist.
So, the Republicans have lost badly three elections in a row going back to 2018. At what point does introspection and change come?

Anyone under the illusion that people who have put the Dems in charge three elections in a row are going to suddenly have a change of heart and embrace authoritarianism would be better off waking up sooner.

I've posted a few times here about the current problems with the Republican party from the perspective of someone that also has a lesser distaste for the Democrats, and usually had my salient thoughts met with hostility and derision. I'd say if the Republicans want to win elections any time soon they should probably start doing the hard work of cutting out the cancer that pervades the party sooner rather than later. Democratic policy positions are actually much more popular than Republican ones, and that won't change without Republicans changing their positions to take on some of the ones that the Dems do.

To sum it up, it's time for the Republicans to stop the fifty year push to the right, and start coming back to the center.
The abortion issue becomes salient when there is a candidate who seems to be for abortion up to the point of birth. That hurts democrats. But it can also become salient when there seems to be a candidate who would force 11 year old girls to keep their uncle's baby. That hurts Republicans.
I could say more, but it should be obvious that the best move for Republicans is to plant a small flag on some reduction of the number of weeks where abortion is legal, claim victory, and hope for a cease fire. Basically what DeSantis has done so far. Not what states like TX have done.
Just like Republicans need the conversation to move beyond Trump and election denial, they also need it to move beyond underage pregnant girls.
(11-13-2022, 12:35 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]So, the Republicans have lost badly three elections in a row going back to 2018. At what point does introspection and change come?

Anyone under the illusion that people who have put the Dems in charge three elections in a row are going to suddenly have a change of heart and embrace authoritarianism would be better off waking up sooner.

I've posted a few times here about the current problems with the Republican party from the perspective of someone that also has a lesser distaste for the Democrats, and usually had my salient thoughts met with hostility and derision. I'd say if the Republicans want to win elections any time soon they should probably start doing the hard work of cutting out the cancer pervades the party sooner rather than later. Democratic policy positions are actually much more popular than Republican ones, and that won't change without Republicans changing their positions to take on some of the ones that the Dems do.

Top sum it up, it's time for the Republicans to stop the fifty year push to the right, and start coming back to the center.

Mitch McConnell warned of that very thing. He saw the writing on the wall. 

"salient thoughts"? Let's not get carried away.   Tongue
(11-13-2022, 12:35 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]So, the Republicans have lost badly three elections in a row going back to 2018. At what point does introspection and change come?

I've posted a few times here about the current problems with the Republican party from the perspective of someone that also has a lesser distaste for the Democrats, and usually had my salient thoughts met with hostility and derision. I'd say if the Republicans want to win elections any time soon they should probably start doing the hard work of cutting out the cancer pervades the party sooner rather than later. Democratic policy positions are actually much more popular than Republican ones, and that won't change without Republicans changing their positions to take on some of the ones that the Dems do.

Top sum it up, it's time for the Republicans to stop the fifty year push to the right, and start coming back to the center.

There are two groups constantly wrestling for control in each party.  It's always people vs money.  Money from super wealthy donors vs people who vote in primaries and give smaller amounts of money.
Most Democrats, today, trust their big money people.  That's why Bernie never got over the hump. 
Most Republicans,  today, don't trust their big money people.  That's why they were so ready for Trump.  
So the Democratic party platform can still be shaped by changing the minds of a small number of elite people.
The Republican can not, today.  Maybe in the future it will be able to, or maybe it will die and be replaced with a new party.  But there is no one person or group who can do the work of cleansing the party of bad people and bad ideas.  It has to come down to millions and millions of individual Republicans all making that decision.
(11-13-2022, 12:41 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]The abortion issue becomes salient when there is a candidate who seems to be for abortion up to the point of birth.  That hurts democrats.  But it can also become salient when there seems to be a candidate who would force 11 year old girls to keep their uncle's baby.  That hurts Republicans. 
I could say more, but it should be obvious that the best move for Republicans is to plant a small flag on some reduction of the number of weeks where abortion is legal, claim victory, and hope for a cease fire. Basically what DeSantis has done so far.  Not what states like TX have done.
Just like Republicans need the conversation to move beyond Trump and election denial, they also need it to move beyond underage pregnant girls.

There's a weirdness to politics now that didn't exist before with the issues of gender, and especially of gender and kids.
(11-13-2022, 12:49 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]

There are two groups constantly wrestling for control in each party.  It's always people vs money.  Money from super wealthy donors vs people who vote in primaries and give smaller amounts of money.
Most Democrats, today, trust their big money people.  That's why Bernie never got over the hump. 
Most Republicans,  today, don't trust their big money people.  That's why they were so ready for Trump.  
So the Democratic party platform can still be shaped by changing the minds of a small number of elite people.
The Republican can not, today.  Maybe in the future it will be able to, or maybe it will die and be replaced with a new party.  But there is no one person or group who can do the work of cleansing the party of bad people and bad ideas.  It has to come down to millions and millions of individual Republicans all making that decision.

You're right, the big money interest is why they won't make the changes that could make horseshoe theory into reality and cause Bernie voters to become maga voters.
(11-13-2022, 12:52 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-13-2022, 12:41 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]The abortion issue becomes salient when there is a candidate who seems to be for abortion up to the point of birth.  That hurts democrats.  But it can also become salient when there seems to be a candidate who would force 11 year old girls to keep their uncle's baby.  That hurts Republicans. 
I could say more, but it should be obvious that the best move for Republicans is to plant a small flag on some reduction of the number of weeks where abortion is legal, claim victory, and hope for a cease fire. Basically what DeSantis has done so far.  Not what states like TX have done.

There's a weirdness to politics now that didn't exist before with the issues of gender, and especially of gender and kids.

Agreed.  That aspect works in Republicans' favor, if they play it right.
Reviving an old thread as we approach another campaign and its concluding election for president - and this topic applies once more.

While the midterm election results that resulted from young voter turnout (and conservative women opposed to the RvWade overturn) have settled, the same issues facing conservative voters remain.

Young voters continue to shift more and more toward progressive thought, and female voters on the right still poll as divided on abortion rights.

While it appears American voters in general will face another nightmarish choice between two underwhelming candidates, one must wonder how in the world conservatives will get behind a divisive candidate - simultaneously overcoming a desertion of up to 35% of female Republican voters - while also dealing with young voters increasingly turning out in large numbers to vote progressively?

There appears to be no plan in place but to label democrats as communists/marxists while demonizing progressive social ideals as evil. Is that enough? I wouldn't think so.

Is there a strategy from the Rep party I'm unaware of to recapture young voters and women?

Otherwise, it would appear drumpf is in line to lose even more spectacularly than he did in the election he continues to lie about.

Conversely, Dems are equally as underwhelming in their mobilization and strategy, but given the climate, their lackluster efforts to coalesce face fewer challenges.

Just throwing this out there for discussion...
Cry more, Libby..
(06-22-2023, 12:44 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]Cry more, Libby..

Please find one instance of crying and point it out. 

I'm asking how your party is going to un [BLEEP] itself.
(06-22-2023, 01:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-22-2023, 12:44 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]Cry more, Libby..

Please find one instance of crying and point it out. 

I don't have a party.. The Republicans are just as bad as the libbies..
Repubs need this generation's Reagan, and there isnt one at the moment. I think thier best chance is a woman who runs as a center-right candidate, but even that might not get them there. It truly looks like we are in for at least a decade of militant fascist liberalism until the Chinese come knocking at our shores. We might partially wake up at that point, but by then it will be too late. Our military will be so emasulated, self loathing, fractured, and gayed up by then that we will probably give up without a fight. It will most likely happen after AOC is sworn in.
(06-22-2023, 01:15 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-22-2023, 01:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Please find one instance of crying and point it out. 

I don't have a party.. The Republicans are just as bad as the libbies..

So no explanation on your stupid accusation and no answer to the actual question.

Got it.
(06-22-2023, 01:19 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-22-2023, 01:15 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]I don't have a party.. The Republicans are just as bad as the libbies..

So no explanation on your stupid accusation and no answer to the actual question.

Got it.

Everything you say is a huge cry session.. Go have some hot chocolate and pet your therapy dog..
Pages: 1 2