Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The season that could have been
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
While most of us on this board predicted 6 to 8 wins, it's no secret that this could have been a much better season.  Improvement?  Certainly on offense.  Potential moving forward?  If our young players can mature and improve and we can fill some gaps in the draft and FA, yes.  But few can deny that we should be at the very least 6-4 at this point, and you could argue 8-2 as a best case scenario.  Let's review:

28-22 loss to the Commanders:  was ahead in this game 22-14, only to collapse down the stretch.
13-6 loss to the Texans:  Inexplicable INT in the end zone on 1st and goal from the one, and defensive collapse fueled by careless penalty on Walker gave this one away.
34-27 loss to the Colts: another 4th quarter collapse by the defense.
24-17 loss to the Giants: yet another 4th quarter collapse by the defense; offense comes up 2 yds shy of a potential tie to force OT.
21-17 loss to the Broncos: yet ANOTHER 4th quarter collapse by the defense.  Broken record time.

Texans, Broncos and Colts should have been certain W's.  IMO, the other two are debatable, unless I'm just forgetting details of those games.  At minimum, we should be 6-4 and in the hunt for the division title with 3 division games still to play, 2 of those against the hated division leading Tacks.

Can we go on a 1996-esqe run?  Let's see.

Ravens - Ravens are decimated at RB, but like Mahomes in KC, Jackson has taken that offense on his back and willing them to win.  If our O can score early, maybe we can win this.
@Lions - Lions on a 3 game win streak.  I think we get pummeled this game.  We won't be able to keep up with their offense, which will score against our D at will.
@Tacks- most likely we get manhandled in an ugly game.  Derrick Henry goes for 150 or so.
Cowboys - Dak is back and looking comfortable.  22 of 25 yesterday against the Vikes on the road.  Cowpoke running game is strong.  0-4 against the NFC East is inbound.
@Jets - we win this one, and it might be a blowout.  Wilson looks awful, and we now have the Belicheck blueprint on how to keep him looking that way.
@Texans - we really should win this easily, which means we probably lose.  Just as we have the Clots number at home, so the Texans have ours, home and away.
Tacks - this one may be meaningless, which means we'll most likely be facing Malik Willis at QB.  If so, we should win in another ugly game.

6 wins is looking pretty reasonable at the moment.
this season has been the tail of not playing good with the game has been on the line. Trevor has been good the last few weeks and looks like he is progressing and getting comfortable and being a leader on the offence. miscues have killed us all year. letting run down the field for a game winning TD, missed FGs, TDs called back on Penalty. you name it something new happens every week.

we need these so called captains to pull these players together and put us in position to win.

starts this week vs baltimore.
A year end run?  It would take Walker and Allen taking a step forward and getting home more often and for Trev not to experience anymore hiccup type games or worse, regress.  Possible?  Sure.  Probable? Not likely.  I do think we can get to 7 wins.  I don’t think we’re winning out though.  The playoff boat sailed a couple of weeks ago.  Playoffs?  More like play…[Image: oof-size-memes.jpg]

But there are good and bad ways to end non-playoff seasons.  Having a coach/system in their first year where a young QB is clearly progressing, where you have quality young pieces at key positions, where you’ve been competitive in every game…. That’s definitely describing a positive situation looking forward despite the negative result on the season.
I think our measuring stick will come against TN. We will know how good we are on offense in how we show up in Nashville. They have kept the best QB in the league underwraps. I saw what they did to Mahomes and Rogers. I want to see what ETN and TLaw look like against them. Then I will tell you about the future.
I was one of the few that said jags would win  4 games and 5 at the most. with 7 games left to play Jags need to win 1 to make it so im right for the least,and 2 for the most. if  some how jag end up with 6 wins or more they will pass my expectations.

I am sticking to what i said before this is a 4 win team.
I think this is exactly the season it "could have been" for the Jags.

Here's the chronology:
  • Trevor gets 3 new targets plus ETN back 
  • Defense gets a bunch of run game contributors
  • After those moves - Fans almost universally call for 6-8 wins
  • Team wins two games consecutively early in the season and fans lose all perspective of reality with the Jags stage of rebuilding
  • NFL defenses identify how to attack our lackluster coverage
  • Back to reality - which now seems worse because of the 2 big wins

Bottom line is that the team improved massively since last year but they are still 3 or 4 pieces away from the improvement to show up in the W/L column 

That's what many expected
(11-21-2022, 12:45 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: [ -> ]I was one of the few that said jags would win  4 games and 5 at the most. with 7 games left to play Jags need to win 1 to make it so im right for the least,and 2 for the most. if  some how jag end up with 6 wins or more they will pass my expectations.

Wait, wait, wait…. You’ve said previously you have a bet with someone that the Jags would win 7 or more games this year.  Loser buys a pizza.

Don’t tell me you give multiple predictions then latch on to the correct one hoping everyone forgets the others.
(11-21-2022, 01:21 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-21-2022, 12:45 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: [ -> ]I was one of the few that said jags would win  4 games and 5 at the most. with 7 games left to play Jags need to win 1 to make it so im right for the least,and 2 for the most. if  some how jag end up with 6 wins or more they will pass my expectations.

Wait, wait, wait…. You’ve said previously you have a bet with someone that the Jags would win 7 or more games this year.  Loser buys a pizza.

Don’t tell me you give multiple predictions then latch on to the correct one hoping everyone forgets the others.

best not to question it.
The panthers hung tough with the Ravens. I don’t view them as monolithic as the Chiefs or Eagles; and we hung tough with both those teams.

Guess we will see. I don’t see us running the table or even winning 6 out of the last seven. 9 wins could be a 7th seed this year in the AFC
Wish our defence was better

Hope it turns a corner for the 2nd half of the season
Big test with Jackson coming up. Really want to see the defense and coaching staff show that they have reviewed and have adjusted.

Mahomes beat you with 5.5 YPC and had a big run. Jones beat you with 9.7 YPC. Hurts had you skittish and it allowed Sanders to slash and gash you. Wilson had one little run late in London to set up their winning drive.

They have to show discipline and gap control with Jackson. You're not containing him. He's going to get some runs on you. Just don't let it be the ones that slowly kill you like Jones had.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
(11-21-2022, 01:21 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes i did say 4 to 5 wins here on the board orgainggly. no i didn't make another predictiction. a friend in church told me if i stayed postive jags would win so due to friend in church i made a postive beat jags would win 7 games even though i knw there was no way that ould happen. Iwas trying to be postive about that like friend said. it didn't work,the jags still suck,and are loseing weekly.  your not a good team until you win 3 games in a row.  Detriot lions are better then Jags right now. 

Shot out to D6 about his Lions.  congrags on team improveing Jags are still same ol jags.
(11-21-2022, 04:38 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Big test with Jackson coming up. Really want to see the defense and coaching staff show that they have reviewed and have adjusted.

Mahomes beat you with 5.5 YPC and had a big run. Jones beat you with 9.7 YPC. Hurts had you skittish and it allowed Sanders to slash and gash you. Wilson had one little run late in London to set up their winning drive.

They have to show discipline and gap control with Jackson. You're not containing him. He's going to get some runs on you. Just don't let it be the ones that slowly kill you like Jones had.

I'll be interested as to Stanley's status. Looked like his ankle got rolled bad in a pile

(I still don't think that's enough to give us any advantage, mind you)
(11-21-2022, 05:46 PM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-21-2022, 04:38 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Big test with Jackson coming up. Really want to see the defense and coaching staff show that they have reviewed and have adjusted.

I'll be interested as to Stanley's status. Looked like his ankle got rolled bad in a pile

I don't think we'll be able to stop Jackson but I'm happy to be proven wrong. 

On the other hand I want to see Trevor play well again. I'm more concerned about how he's playing right now. It's pointing upwards for him but he needs to continue this way.
(11-21-2022, 12:46 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]https://twitter.com/UrinatingTree/status...VHKHBhKAXA

My fantasy league has been weird too. Our last place guy somehow has the most points overall so far this season
(11-21-2022, 05:59 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-21-2022, 05:46 PM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]I'll be interested as to Stanley's status. Looked like his ankle got rolled bad in a pile

I don't think we'll be able to stop Jackson but I'm happy to be proven wrong. 

On the other hand I want to see Trevor play well again. I'm more concerned about how he's playing right now. It's pointing upwards for him but he needs to continue this way.

I have more confidence in Lawrence and Pederson over this defense and Caldwell at the moment. Baltimore has a pretty good run defense but they're 26th overall in passing yards allowed this year. 

Hamilton is a pretty good safety. They're really, really good on 3rd downs though. The best in the business at the moment. If this team wants any shot at winning this game they'll have to keep Jackson off the field, control the time of possession on offense and stay away from 3rd and long against this defense.
Send some blitz packages at Jackson and keep your d-ends in contain on other downs. 3rd and long keep everything in front of you and make him throw it.

On offense, get the run game going and work off that with play action. Maybe sneak some of those pesky screens in here and there. Patterson needs to have a flawless day in the kicking game.

A turnover or 2 would be nice.
Just ruddy tackle and don't slip and arm grab lol
Pages: 1 2