Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Lageman says CB is the weakest unit.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I could argue edge but it's hard to disagree. This defense is well overpaid. About 13 mins into the video.

https://youtu.be/oLmvUr3tmLo
He’s right
Uhh, you think?

The team benches a highly paid free agent starter who is playing terribly and "injured" and sees three different backups struggle to fill in - coupled with another free agent at nickel who isn't terrible - but has given up a total of 160 yards over the last three losses - and yeah, of course it's the weakest position group.

Go look at the biggest needs thread and see how many of us listed CB.

There are three positions to field and only one of them is filled with an above average performer.

Campbell is very good.
Williams is OK at nickel but giving up too many first downs and missing tackles in run support.
CB2 doesn't even exist. There isn't anyone on our roster that can serviceably play the spot without getting torched.
We'll be watching Tevaugn Campbell and Montaric Brown giving up completions there the next several weeks.
Definitely, I think a real number 2 opposite of Campbell will make this defense 10x better.
(12-02-2022, 12:08 AM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: [ -> ]I could argue edge but it's hard to disagree. This defense is well overpaid. About 13 mins into the video.

I don't think the defensive salaries are an issue, actually. 

The LB corps is top ten in the league in dollars spent, but Oluokun is earning every penny and total is somewhat inflated due to the number of first round picks making good 1st contract money. 

The DL and secondary are not a $$ problem outside of Shaq Griffin who will be gone in February. If he's replaced with a pick and not a free agent - the salary total for that group will be middle of the pack compared to other teams.
Probably looking at Joey Porter Jr. or Kelee Ringo early. Although, I think an interior presence is needed more in the pass rushing department. Coverage sacks are rare.

Would rather get Emmanuel Forbes on day two. He likes playing the ball. He likes going for the big play. He's a bit of a gambler like Diggs in Dallas but he's a good fit.

Garrett Williams from Syracuse and Riley Moss from Iowa are also worthy of 3rd RD picks. Moss I think is probably one of the better nickel CB's in this class and likes to tackle in run support. Quick as hell too.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
https://youtu.be/jv7u6pcMcG8

https://youtu.be/npnwgx8gkyo

https://youtu.be/8XqMfleGhIM

Play Dewey.
(12-02-2022, 10:19 AM)Jaguar Warrior Wrote: [ -> ]Play Dewey.

What does Wingard have to do with the CB position?

He's a box safety that can't cover. He played the big nickel as part of a strategy to contain Lamar Jackson's ground game. 

He has zero affect on our dire need at CB.
(12-02-2022, 08:11 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Uhh, you think?

The team benches a highly paid free agent starter who is playing terribly and "injured" and sees three different backups struggle to fill in - coupled with another free agent at nickel who isn't terrible - but has given up a total of 160 yards over the last three losses - and yeah, of course it's the weakest position group.

There are three positions to field and only one of them is filled with an above average performer.

Campbell is very good.
Williams is OK at nickel but giving up too many first downs and missing tackles in run support.
CB2 doesn't even exist. There isn't anyone on our roster that can serviceably play the spot without getting torched
We'll be watching Tevaugn Campbell and Montaric Brown giving up completions there the next several weeks.

When watching the Jaguars game against the Ravens, I noticed that the Jags had a 2nd Campbell who's a CB.  This Campbell was wearing the # 29 jersey and if I recall correctly had good coverage on a 3rd Down Ravens Incompletion on a relatively short Out-Route.  

When checking the Jaguars Official Website after the game, I saw the name Tevaughn Campbell as the player who wears # 29.  With Campbell playing his college ball with Regina.  This is the same school in the Provincial Capital City of Saskatchewan, in Canada, current Bucs interior Defensive Lineman Akiem Hicks played his college ball.  it will be interesting to see if Campbell gets more extensive opportunities the remainder of the season and if he's the type of player who's a raw athlete with substantial NFL potential?
(12-02-2022, 03:29 PM)D6 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-02-2022, 08:11 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Uhh, you think?

Campbell is very good.
CB2 doesn't even exist. There isn't anyone on our roster that can serviceably play the spot without getting torched

When watching the Jaguars game against the Ravens, I noticed that the Jags had a 2nd Campbell who's a CB.  This Campbell was wearing the # 29 jersey and if I recall correctly had good coverage on a 3rd Down Ravens Incompletion on a relatively short Out-Route.  

When checking the Jaguars Official Website after the game, I saw the name Tevaughn Campbell as the player who wears # 29.  With Campbell playing his college ball with Regina.  This is the same school in the Provincial Capital City of Saskatchewan, in Canada, current Bucs interior Defensive Lineman Akiem Hicks played his college ball.  it will be interesting to see if Campbell gets more extensive opportunities the remainder of the season and if he's the type of player who's a raw athlete with substantial NFL potential?

I wouldn't get my hopes up on Tevaughn Campbell. He has been signed and cut by a couple of NFL teams and is 29 years old. It's possible he may stick as cornerback depth and on special teams, but not as a starting cornerback or nickel. My hope is the Jaguars find a corner in round 2 of next year's draft. This position group appears to be very deep for the 2023 draft.
i want Johnston in the 1st round , then you can get me the CB

Not big on Ringo
(12-02-2022, 09:50 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]https://youtu.be/8XqMfleGhIM

I read where he is ranked the 11th best corner in college. And the opposing QB has an average rating of 104.6 when throwing to his receivers on his side.

To be honest, I haven’t watched him play at all but he appears to be a willing tackler. He’s got good size at 6’-0 189 pounds. 4.58 speed. 

Sign me up if we can get him in the middle rounds.
(12-03-2022, 09:09 AM)MojoKing Wrote: [ -> ]i want Johnston in the 1st round , then you can get me the CB

Not big on Ringo

I'm with you on Johnston.

Quentin Johnston : Round 1

Kris Abrams-Draine or Clark Phillips III: Round 2
With the season still hopefully on the line, is there anyway to get something out of Shaquill Griffin? I understand he looked bad the last times he played, but this guy was pretty solid Last season, and I just can't believe he fell off this hard.
(12-03-2022, 09:04 PM)Jag88 Wrote: [ -> ]With the season still hopefully on the line, is there anyway to get something out of Shaquill Griffin? I understand he looked bad the last times he played, but this guy was pretty solid Last season, and I just can't believe he fell off this hard.

No thanks, I'd rather see what the young guys can do. Shaq is as good as gone after this season. If they keep him around next year at his salary then Baalke needs to be fired.
(12-02-2022, 07:01 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-02-2022, 03:29 PM)D6 Wrote: [ -> ]When watching the Jaguars game against the Ravens, I noticed that the Jags had a 2nd Campbell who's a CB.  This Campbell was wearing the # 29 jersey and if I recall correctly had good coverage on a 3rd Down Ravens Incompletion on a relatively short Out-Route.  

I wouldn't get my hopes up on Tevaughn Campbell. He has been signed and cut by a couple of NFL teams and is 29 years old. It's possible he may stick as cornerback depth and on special teams, but not as a starting cornerback or nickel. My hope is the Jaguars find a corner in round 2 of next year's draft. This position group appears to be very deep for the 2023 draft.

While I knew that Tevaughn Campbell played a couple of seasons with the LA Chargers prior to this season, I didn't notice that he's already 29. My assumption was Campbell is in his mid 20s. 

After seeing your reply, I read that Campbell played 4 seasons in the CFL, before signing with the Jets in 2019.  Like you mentioned, being that Campbell is already 29, he clearly isn't a long term solution type of player.  Even more so at CB, compared to most other positions.
It doesnt matter what age a player is. It matters how hes playing right now and can he help the team make a nice run?

Go jags!
If we don't get a promising CB in the draft I hope we go after someone like Casey Hayward or Stephon Gilmore.
Pages: 1 2