Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Do we have any good players on defense?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Or are they being misused under the current DC?
Ur guess is as good as mine

I am a fan of Cisco and Campbell

And one can hope a big offseason is enough for lloyd and walker to grow
If you want my honest opinion, I think we have the makings of a good defense. I know that sounds absurd after the past few weeks but there are two main concerns that have caused the majority of our issues on that side of the ball.

Our defense gets gashed by which ever outside WR isn't being covered by Tyson Campbell, consistently. A true outside Corner opposite of Campbell is one of the biggest needs. Alternatively, a lot of the times we get gashed on other parts of the field which is typically due to a lack of pass rush.

Basically what I'm saying is we need a consistent pass rusher, and a consistant outside corner opposite of Campbell. If we can find both of these in the up coming off season I think the defense as a unit will be good enough to win games. Outside of the two glarring issues we could stand to upgrade the safety spot opposite of Cisco.

I haven't seen any of the all-22 film this season so pin pointing the specific upgrades to the pass rush wouldn't be something i'm qualified to do right now, maybe we need better interior players or maybe Walker/Allen just aren't good enough on the edge. But either way we need to generate a pass rush and we need a 2nd CB who dosen't get bullied every week.

In hind sight I wish the jaguars would have had the same gut feeling that I did going into last years draft and took Sauce Gardner. I know we likely would still be struggling at the moment due to a lack of pass rush but it would make our life a lot easier in the 2023 off season in terms of fixing up the D
The truth usually rests somewhere in the middle. We have talented players that are strong against the run and we have some talented players that are strong against the pass. The primary issue is that they're rarely capable of putting it altogether and like any sport, it's a game of match up's. Once you show any hint of weakness it will get exploited until you stop it.

So far we have seen a few adjustments here and there. The most glaring one being Lloyd benched in favor of Muma. The other being Griffin sidelined with a "back" injury after he let Ryan ice him with Pierce in that road loss which honestly started the trend of this back seven getting absolutely handled in zone coverage with the crossers. They have yet to find an answer for it.

As a fan? I see the front four just not getting it done. There's no push interior wise. There's no collapsing of the pocket. There's no real presence off the edge with Allen nor Walker and when you send an extra man or two and you're running zone? Again, it's a crossing route, timing route underneath or a quick screen that beats them effectively.

It's both. It's players and scheme at the moment. My biggest fear is that, given Baalke's history and penchant for being heavy handed defensively in his drafts. They're going to bypass potential playmakers on offense that would allow Lawrence and Pederson to put up points earlier and faster and that could really be what this defense needs going into year two if Caldwell is retained.

Being able to put up points and pin your ears back defensively is the bread and butter of the NFL now. That's all it boils down to. How fast and often can you score and how fast can you make your opponent one dimensional? Lawrence is making throws now that not every QB can make. Those throws are going to enable you to create points that your opponent is not going to answer for all the time.

You have the perfect storm of growing pains at the moment on defense. Mike Caldwell, first timer at being a defensive coordinator at any level. Multiple new faces learning together. Mix bag of guys that are probably not quite the fit we need to make it work but we had to add and make adjustments somewhere this off season.
Lloyd, Muma, Smoot, Campbell, FO (I can’t spell him names for the life of me) are only ones I am confident have for sure talent and can be part of a good defense
(12-05-2022, 03:43 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: [ -> ]Lloyd, Muma, Smoot, Campbell, FO (I can’t spell him names for the life of me) are only ones I am confident have for sure talent and can be part of a good defense
Not sure about that one.
Wait. I thought everyone was in love with Dewey.
We have some talent on defense, but our back end is subpar when compared with the front seven. We need an outside corner for sure and a disruptive interior DL. Mostly, we need some coaching help for our rookie DC.

But I'm with the OP. Beefing up the offense will do more to help the defense than anything. Give me a legit TE, not some 3rd or 4th rounder. If we get Jalen Carter and Darnell Washington, this team can go toe to toe with the Tacks for the AFC South.
If I were building a Defense I would take:

Campbell, Dewey, Smoot, and Cisco.
(12-05-2022, 04:50 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: [ -> ]If I were building a Defense I would take:

Campbell, Dewey, Smoot, and Cisco.

If I were building a defense, I'd probably take Micah Parsons, Chris Jones, Sauce Gardner, and Fred Warner.
There's some good players there but we lack a pass rush. Allen looked to be in the verge of becoming elite a few times last year but has disappeared this year. Not sure what's going on there. It's become obvious that Walker is out of position. Muma and Lloyd are both rookies with a lot to learn. Outside of Cisco and Campbell, the rest of the secondary is sub-par. On the line Smoot is a player I like. Key flashed early but has been pretty quiet since then. Bottom line is they need to work on every position group.
Good news we could get to watch Allen turn Jaguar flashes into pass rush dominance on another team. If I am not mistaken, we do have the 2023 option year at least.
Walker unfortunately was over drafted, though I do think he will turn into a solid start for us. We have a lot of good players but no one truly elite, besides our punter. I think pass rusher is still huge. Maybe get Lloyd more snaps as a rusher.
Anyone remember when the Cleveland Cavaliers took Anthony Bennet with the 2013 #1 pick in the NBA Draft? THE REVIEW IS EERILY SIMILAR TO THAT OF TRAVON.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBPqNavW8O4
(12-05-2022, 05:51 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone remember when the Cleveland Cavaliers took Anthony Bennet with the 2013  #1 pick in the NBA Draft?  THE REVIEW IS EERILY SIMILAR TO THAT OF TRAVON.

Kwame Brown
we have talent, i think most of the issues are schemes and coaching not helping the players. but we have some good core, are they elite no, but they are good players.

Allen, Walker,Hamilton, Foye, Lloyd, Muma, Cisco, and Campbell

those are our key guys we have alot of holes, especially when we enter nickel and beyond, we have no one who can cover outside of Campbell, Williams makes a play ever now and then but outside of 1 or 2 plays he allows alot of completions.

at least with griffin we had a solid #2 usually but no #2 corner and we are stuck on hope the Line gets home in under 3 secs. if you have corners then you might be able to hold for 3-5 sec.

if it's not the #2 corner it's our ILB causing alot of completions, so that is why i am thinking it is a scheme issue rather than players.
We messed up passing on Sauce Gardner. The only bright side to that, is so did the Texans. Stingley might be good but Gardner is elite.
(12-05-2022, 05:39 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]Good news we could get to watch Allen turn Jaguar flashes into pass rush dominance on another team. If I am not mistaken, we do have the 2023 option year at least.

We are going to be Waiting til the end of time for him to become a good pass Rusher here m
(12-05-2022, 05:43 PM)Newton Wrote: [ -> ]Walker unfortunately was over drafted, though I do think he will turn into a solid start for us. We have a lot of good players but no one truly elite, besides our punter. I think pass rusher is still huge. Maybe get Lloyd more snaps as a rusher.

Except he wasn't.. The Lions already said they would have taken him #2 if we took Hutch #1.
(12-05-2022, 06:17 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-05-2022, 05:51 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone remember when the Cleveland Cavaliers took Anthony Bennet with the 2013  #1 pick in the NBA Draft?  THE REVIEW IS EERILY SIMILAR TO THAT OF TRAVON.

Kwame Brown

That too.  smh
Pages: 1 2 3