Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Why I Lost some respect for Megan Rapinoe
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
US soccer star Megan Rapinoe kneels during national anthem in 'little nod' to Kaepernick

For some reason I knew that this was going to happen.  For those of you who don't know, Megan Rapinoe is a winger for the US womens national soccer team.  She recently knelt during the National anthem in a nod to Collin Kaepernick.  By itself, its her business I didn't start a thread about Eric Reid or Jeremy Lane. 

Having said all that, when Hope Solo, the best GK in the history of women's soccer, made a comment about the Swedish national team after a heartbreaking loss in the Quarterfinals, Rapinoe was one of the first to criticize her.  When Solo was humiliated and essentially fired from the national team I didn't hear anything about words of solidarity or supporting the first amendment from Megan.  I just think that's a little Hypocritical. 

She should be saluting the Swedish anthem, for knocking them out.

Solo is a whack job. Lose a game and call the winners cowards? She deserved criticism.

"She's kneeling in a little nod to Kaepernick"..... priceless
Quote:She should be saluting the Swedish anthem, for knocking them out.

Solo is a whack job. Lose a game and call the winners cowards? She deserved criticism.

"She's kneeling in a little nod to Kaepernick"..... priceless

Criticism was fine. But fired?
[quote name="Indy2Jax" post="804505" timestamp="1473085629"]Criticism was fine. But fired?[/

Is she still waiting on her assault charges?

If so, it doesn't matter.
Case was dismissed.
Quote:Case was dismissed.

As was she.
Does anyone really care about soccer?

At some point as an organization you have to distance yourself from people like Hope Solo no matter how talented they are. Folks don't mind some controversy or whatever but when their behavior is as volatile as hers it takes away from the sport.

I was a huge fan of boxing until I watched the fight where Tyson bit off Holyfield's ear. After that I just could not watch it anymore. That completely turned me off of the sport. 

As for Kaepernick and these others, they have every right to their freedom of speech to include sit downs, kneel downs, silent 'nods' to each other or whatever they choose to do, but they are not free from the consequences; whether it be backlash from fans, being dropped by sponsors, being vilified in the media. I haven't paid much attention to what has happened since Kaep's initial sit down. I honestly don't care, but I do think players should put their money where their mouth is and promote that instead of all this posturing which does nothing for the people/groups they're showing support for. Everyone already knows the issues, we don't need it shoved down our throats when we are trying to enjoy a game because that is almost all the commentators are going to talk about outside of the actual game calling. DO something about it off the field with monetary support or volunteering. 

Quote:At some point as an organization you have to distance yourself from people like Hope Solo no matter how talented they are. Folks don't mind some controversy or whatever but when their behavior is as volatile as hers it takes away from the sport.

I was a huge fan of boxing until I watched the fight where Tyson bit off Holyfield's ear. After that I just could not watch it anymore. That completely turned me off of the sport. 

As for Kaepernick and these others, they have every right to their freedom of speech to include sit downs, kneel downs, silent 'nods' to each other or whatever they choose to do, but they are not free from the consequences; whether it be backlash from fans, being dropped by sponsors, being vilified in the media. I haven't paid much attention to what has happened since Kaep's initial sit down. I honestly don't care, but I do think players should put their money where their mouth is and promote that instead of all this posturing which does nothing for the people/groups they're showing support for. Everyone already knows the issues, we don't need it shoved down our throats when we are trying to enjoy a game because that is almost all the commentators are going to talk about outside of the actual game calling. DO something about it off the field with monetary support or volunteering. 

Exactly and to go along with your comment.  Protests, politics, etc. have no business in sports.  Many people watch sports to get away from politics.  The same could be said about Hollywood actors.  Somebody should tell them that people don't watch their movies because of their political point of view.  In most cases, they are watching the movie to see how well they act like somebody that they are not.  The same with singers... other entertainers... etc.