Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Playoff Ponderings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know, I know.  Queue the classic Jim Mora "Playoffs?!?" clip.

While the regular season finish line is in sight, we''ve still got quite the road ahead.  Our remaining opponents are quite formidable, especially if the Jaguars are not playing at the top of their games.  Even the theoretical most winnable game left on the schedule, the  league worst Houston Texans, have beaten us NINE (9) straight times, including their one win this season.  We also have another historical nemesis remaining in week 18, the loathsome and detestable tacks.  While there s plenty of evidence they appear to be on the way down and I'd love more than a LOT for the Jaguars to be the team to push them over the edge, until they are finished, there will always be that trepidation associated with them.  In addition, we play against the Jets, who not only present a very good defense capable of giving the Bills' explosive offense a tough time, but they are a competitor for one of the last playoff spots.  Of course, this run continues this week with the very strong and well balanced Dallas team.

Just about the entire fanbase has talked about how nice it is to finally have relevant games in December beyond draft position.  What's the enjoyment of having the relevant games in December if you can't discuss the post season possibilities, no matter how remote?  Given this, I offer you various thoughts on the post season.

1.  In most of the past decade, a constant controversy on the board ws the value of "tanking," that is, a willingness to see the team endure short term loss for otherwise meaningless games for superior draft position that could have a much longer positive impact.  While we finally have the franchise QB that would make the whole tanking discussion worthwhile, I am experiencing a similar logical dynamic this year despite dissimilar factual context.  The team is not at the bottom of the standings playing out the schedule-at least to our knowledge at the moment.  It's still quite possible this season could end in a historical playoff run for this team.  Even if this team misses out on the playoffs, the arrow is clearly pointing uo with this franchise.  We have a great coach and we found our franchise QB.  It would seem we are poised to be the rulers of the division for the forseeable future, as opposed to the usual wondering where in the hell will we find those key players starting the process from scratch once again.  Yet I could see a potential benefit to NOT making the playoffs if it results in Baalke NOT retaining his current position with the team. Make no mistake, it would be absolutely GREAT in the short term for this team to make the playoffs this year.  But its worth would be greatly diminished if it results in us retaining Baalke, who has left much to be desired  in terms of player acquisition.  The ideal scenario is we make the playoffs this year, yet Khan decides to go in a different GM direction with a guy with  a better track record in terms of player acquisition.

2.  That aside, assuming we make the playoffs what would be our best path?  Would it be easier to win the division, or is winning one of the last wild card spots  our surest path?  To me, under the current circumstances, I believe winning the division would be the best path forward.  First, it puts most of the factors/tiebreakers in our hands.  Tennessee currently has a 2 game lead over us with 4 remaining.  Tennessee is playing poorly, having lost their last three and three more possible losses within their last 4 games (Chargers, Dallas, and us).  If we gain one game on them between now and week 18 and then beat Tennessee in week 18, by virtue of sweeping the Titans, we win the division, making the playoffs irrespective of our record vs. any of the other teams vying for a wild card.  On top of that, we'd host a playoff game against the 5th seed/1st Wild card team.  As it stands now (maybe Baltimore, whom we've already beat), Miami (currently sliding).  Considering we're at least 2 games back of everyone in the wild card hunt, we'd have to hope to beat out the Jets and Chargers (already have head to hed over Chargers and if we beat the Jets, we'd gain that tiebreaaker too.  We haven't played the Patriots or Dolphins.  While those AFC East wild card contenders  will knock each other off down the stretch, we don't know which ones will lose enough that we can beat them out.  Aside from that, if we get in with the last wild card, we would open on the road agains either Kansas City, Buffalo, or Cincinnati.

Your thoughts?
I can't even let my brain go there until we beat dallas and NYJ and I'm expecting to lose by ten this week.
(12-14-2022, 08:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I can't even let my brain go there until we beat dallas and NYJ and I'm expecting to lose by ten this week.
Dallas poses lots of potential match up issues.

I still don't trust McCarthy, and Trevor gives us a chance id we can keep that pass rush under control.

I'll say this:  Dallas is the one game of the remaining 4 we could theoretically afford to lose since it's an NFC game.  It would fall much lower in the tiebreaker than either head to head or conference record.

But that's assuming Jacksonville can otherwise manage to even up the overall records with the other teams in the hunt.  A Dallas loss could preclude them from doing so.
(12-14-2022, 08:37 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-14-2022, 08:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I can't even let my brain go there until we beat dallas and NYJ and I'm expecting to lose by ten this week.
Dallas poses lots of potential match up issues.

I still don't trust McCarthy, and Trevor gives us a chance id we can keep that pass rush under control.

I'll say this:  Dallas is the one game of the remaining 4 we could theoretically afford to lose since it's an NFC game.  It would fall much lower in the tiebreaker than either head to head or conference record.

But that's assuming Jacksonville can otherwise manage to even up the overall records with the other teams in the hunt.  A Dallas loss could preclude them from doing so.

Normally that would be true, but in our case, the only thing that matters is the head-to-head with the tacks.  And finishing with at least the same record of course. If we lose any games at all, I think the best we can do it tie them. Pretty sure we'd have to win out and get help to get a wild card bid.

Hey, they could be ripe for going in the tank...  Vrabel said our game was a "crossroads" game for them and we kicked their butts - let the downward spiral begin! Smile
(12-14-2022, 10:12 PM)scottyg Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-14-2022, 08:37 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Dallas poses lots of potential match up issues.

Normally that would be true, but in our case, the only thing that matters is the head-to-head with the tacks.  And finishing with at least the same record of course.  If we lose any games at all, I think the best we can do it tie them.  Pretty sure we'd have to win out and get help to get a wild card bid.

Hey, they could be ripe for going in the tank...  Vrabel said our game was a "crossroads" game for them and we kicked their butts - let the downward spiral begin! Smile

Tacks lose out Jags win out... sparking the most improbable SB run....... ever?

Lol man it's already a great season being able to ponder this stuff in December. No matter what else happens.
A bullseye post I must comment glad to see you back.

I think we are very confident and we win the next three. This is when games matter the most and show those that want it more.

This team is hungry.
And Trevor has been one of the best QB over the last 5 weeks.

I'm a drink my Kool aid and want a home playoff game
If its make the playoffs and retain the GM vs the opposite, i ll take the playoffs, thanks. 10 times out of 10.
(12-14-2022, 11:01 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-14-2022, 10:12 PM)scottyg Wrote: [ -> ]Normally that would be true, but in our case, the only thing that matters is the head-to-head with the tacks.  And finishing with at least the same record of course.  If we lose any games at all, I think the best we can do it tie them.  Pretty sure we'd have to win out and get help to get a wild card bid.

Tacks lose out Jags win out... sparking the most improbable SB run....... ever?

Lol man it's already a great season being able to ponder this stuff in December. No matter what else happens.

(Emphasis added)

Based on what's transpired so far..yes.

1.  We've found our franchise QB.
2.  We've hired probably the best coach in franchise history.
3.  We've already won more games this year than the two previous seasons coombines and there's still 4 games left.
4.  We embarrassed the tacks in Nashville.

Right now....even though the season's NOT over...I'm stoked over our propects for 2023!
(12-14-2022, 11:13 PM)icey14 Wrote: [ -> ]A bullseye post I must comment glad to see you back.

I think we are very confident and we win the next three. This is when games matter the most and show those that want it more.

This team is hungry.
And Trevor has been one of the best QB over the last 5 weeks.

I'm a drink my Kool aid and want a home playoff game

Thank you sir!

I sure hope you are right about winning the next three.  After that, I would hope we extend that to the next seven this year.
Defense is key to win. We don't need to be elite just good enough. Our offence can be just as good as anyone in the league.
(12-15-2022, 12:04 AM)icey14 Wrote: [ -> ]Defense is key to win. We don't need to be elite just good enough.  Our offence can be just as good as anyone in the league.

As much as I'd love to agree with you, I can't on this point.

I think by next season, given a year's experience plus an offseason/training camp in Pederson's offense, given the addition of Calvin Ridley (assuming he can approximate his 2020/pre suspension, level of play, and anothr speed WR, and a step up or two by Etienne and at LG, I think we can be elite offensively.

I think of the game between KC and Buffalo in the playoffs.

Those last two series the Bills and then the Chiefs had....when Buffalo took the lead with 13 seconds left thanks to Hosh Allen to Gabe Davis only for Mahomes, Tyreek Hill and Kelce to drive the length of the field to get into FG range to tie it. I'm not sure we have the players to match that just yet.  We have the coaching and scheme to do si.  We have the QB to do so.  But I don't think we have the pure speed/explosiveness outside to do so.  I'd hope we could upgrade the OL too.  I'd like more effectiveness and balance out of the running game to keep the pass rush honest.

The good news is those additions appear to be within our grasp iF we draft well.
Assuming we manage to win the division and go in as the 4th seed, what team currently in the running for the wild card spot would you most/least want to face in the first round and why?

Most: L.A. Chargers: We already thumped them pretty well earlier in the year over in LA. They have a small fan base and are less likely to over run our stadium than any other fanbase in consideration. They are getting healthier, but I think we could still handle them. A second Trevor Laawrence -Justin Herbert matchup could be fun to watch for the nationwide audience.

Least: New England-If our biggest strength is our offense and passing attack, the last thing I want to face is a team that could most effectively negate that strength. Belichicj's schemes have shut downthe 1986 49ers teams withJoe Montana and Jerry Rice (49-4) , the 1990 49ers tean with Montana and Rice (3-7 and 15-13) and some Manning led Colts teams. Even though Pederson managed to be effective in his playcalling back in the Super Bowl a few years back, and their offense doesn't pose much of a threat, I wouldn't want to risk that
I'd flip that. Don't wanna face L.A. Slater and Bosa will be back and their roster is far superior to the patriots IMO. Patriots have beaten one team with a winning record and that was the jets. I'll take my chances against Mac Jones rather than Justin Herbert.
haha I actually wish we could face the Patriots in the wildcard round. They've ended our last 2 playoff runs and I think it's time we give it back.
Great post Bullseye. Now the playoffs are a longshot for jags this year,young team,and we have seen them lose after a big win.  Its still possbille.

The great thing though is its dec ,and we are able to talk playoffs ,and not haveing # 1 pick in the draft.
(12-15-2022, 04:01 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]haha I actually wish we could face the Patriots in the wildcard round. They've ended our last 2 playoff runs and I think it's time we give it back.

Believe me, those thoughts crossed my mind.

Those "farking bastidges" ended our first playoff run as well (with Parcels as HC and Belivhick as def coord).

A win against the Patriots would certainly merit consideration as most satisfying (along with the Jets).
(12-15-2022, 03:42 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: [ -> ]I'd flip that. Don't wanna face L.A. Slater and Bosa will be back and their roster is far superior to the patriots IMO. Patriots have beaten one team with a winning record and that was the jets. I'll take my chances against Mac Jones rather than Justin Herbert.

Agreed with the talent analysis, though when I compiled this, I didn't think Bosa would be back.  A Chargers team with a healthy Bosa, Mack, Slater, aherbert, etc, would be far more formidble from a talent perspective than the Patriots.  In my early draft, I actually HAD the Pats as the team I most wanted to play.  I wound up changing my mind because I'm not sure our defense is good enough to stop their pop gun offense, especially if Belichick concocts one of those legendary defensive game plans against our offense.
The reality is that the playoffs are still an extreme long shot. It's great to even be in the conversation at this point in the season though and a sign of even better things to come in the very near future. And it did happen in '96 so you never know!

This, anything that happens this season is house money. I don't expect us to win out, nor do I expect the tacks to cooperate with the help we need.

It might be nice for the team to dip their toes in the water, but I don't see this season as being one that we'd go on some prolonged run.

I don't know which would make us hungrier next season: getting there, and losing right away, or barely missing the postseason altogether.

(12-15-2022, 01:44 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Assuming we manage to win the division and go in as the 4th seed, what team currently in the running for the wild card spot would you most/least want to face in the first round and why?

Most:  L.A. Chargers:  We already thumped them pretty well earlier in the year over in LA.  They have a small fan base and are less likely to over run our stadium than any other fanbase in consideration.  They are getting healthier, but I think we could still handle them.  A second Trevor Laawrence -Justin Herbert matchup could be fun to watch for the nationwide audience. 

Least:  New England-If our biggest strength is our offense and passing attack, the last thing I want to face is a team that could most effectively negate that strength.  Belichicj's schemes have shut downthe 1986 49ers teams withJoe Montana and Jerry Rice (49-4) , the 1990 49ers tean with Montana and Rice (3-7 and 15-13) and some Manning led Colts teams.  Even though Pederson managed to be effective in his playcalling back in the Super Bowl a few years back, and their offense doesn't pose much of a threat, I wouldn't want to risk that

I'll disagree, Herbert has the hot hand now and I'm salivating at the prospect of facing Mac Jones in a loser goes home battle.
(12-15-2022, 09:30 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]The reality is that the playoffs are still an extreme long shot. It's great to even be in the conversation at this point in the season though and a sign of even better things to come in the very near future. And it did happen in '96 so you never know!

The playoffs ARE a longshot.

But the combo of Pederson and Lawrence enable me to entertain the longshots like these, even if briefly.

Put it this way:  In your mind, substitute any post Brunell QB for Lawrence and any post Coughlin/prePederson coach for Pederson and try having this same conversation.

I don't think even the most myopic Jaguars homer (do we even have those left in the fanbase any more?) could envision a run with any of those guys under these circumstances.
Pages: 1 2