Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Cool video on Calvin Ridley
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So excited to get him here next season.
The route in the Endzone against Dallas around the 2:40 mark was nasty.

I'm really hoping we can build on this year and be even better next year.

It's so hard to predict how a team will be year to year..
(12-19-2022, 10:36 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: [ -> ]I'm really hoping we can build on this year and be even better next year.

Depends on how free agency and the draft play out. The goal is to patch up your weakest links while not having to constantly rebuild at the same positions.

This is my concern. Backfilling at the DE and CB position with high draft picks and free agency signings over the last two, three years is not ideal.

Campbell - Ngakoue - Allen - Smoot - Bryan - Chaisson - Walker - Key

Ramsey - Bouye - Griffin - Henderson - Campbell - Williams

Nets you a whole lot of nothing since 2017. Since 2018 the secondary play has decreased as well as the pass rush.

Need to rewire our way of thinking with those types of draft picks.

Makes me sick when I see Seattle land two starting tackles, two starting corners and a starting RB in one class.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
(12-19-2022, 10:51 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-19-2022, 10:36 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: [ -> ]I'm really hoping we can build on this year and be even better next year.

Depends on how free agency and the draft play out. The goal is to patch up your weakest links while not having to constantly rebuild at the same positions.

This is my concern. Backfilling at the DE and CB position with high draft picks and free agency signings over the last two, three years is not ideal.

Campbell - Ngakoue - Allen -  Smoot - Bryan - Chaisson - Walker - Key

Nets you a whole lot of nothing since 2017. Since 2018 the secondary play has decreased as well as the pass rush.

Makes me sick when I see Seattle land two starting tackles, two starting corners and a starting RB in one class.

Well, there is an approach where you don't necessarily patch up weaknesses but build uon strengths making them dominant.

In the early 1980s, the George Young-Bill Parcells era Giants had a strong LB corps with Lawrence Taylor, Harry Carson and Brad Van Pelt at LB.  But in 1984, they added LB Carl Banks to that group.

In the 1990s, the Vikings had a good offense with Cris Carter and Jake Reed at WR.  They were already a pretty good offense, but in 1998, they added WR Randy Moss and wound up with the best record in football.  But for a missed FG, they would have reached the Super Bowl.

For the ourposes of this discussion, I consider neither approach superior to the other.  There would be merit to bolstering our weakness (adding a CB or two and an edge rusher) or building upon our strength by adding yet another receiver or offensive lineman.
(12-20-2022, 06:46 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-19-2022, 10:51 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Depends on how free agency and the draft play out. The goal is to patch up your weakest links while not having to constantly rebuild at the same positions.

Campbell - Ngakoue - Allen -  Smoot - Bryan - Chaisson - Walker - Key

Well, there is an approach where you don't necessarily path up weakneses but build uon strengths making them dominant.

In the early 1980s, the George Young-Bill Parcells era Giants had a strong LB corps with Lawrence Taylor, Harry Carson and Brad Van Pelt at LB.  But in 1984, they added LB Carl Banks to that group.

In the 1990s, the Vikings had a good offense with Cris Carter and Jake Reed at WR.  They were already a pretty good offense, but in 1998, they added WR Randy Moss and wound up with the best record in football.  But for a missed FG, they would have reached the Super Bowl.

For the ourposes of this discussion, I consider neither approach superior to the other.  There would be merit to bolstering our weakness (adding a CB or two and an edge rusher) or building upon our strength by adding yet another receiver or offensive lineman.

might be picking nits, but Harry Carson was at least an 8 year veteran at that stage and what the heck is a Brad Van Pelt? I grew up in that era and today is the first time I have ever heard his name. I kinda get what you are saying, but you could argue that the Banks pick was planning for the future more than just trying to make one unit so dominant it shadows any other vulnerabilities.

Not necessarily building upon strength, but trying to force-feed position to get the most out of your top pick QB is how we landed Reggie Williams and Rodney, and you might even add Blackmon to this list, though I think he was legit if not for his issues with the drink.
(12-21-2022, 09:13 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-20-2022, 06:46 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Well, there is an approach where you don't necessarily path up weakneses but build uon strengths making them dominant.

might be picking nits, but Harry Carson was at least an 8 year veteran at that stage and what the heck is a Brad Van Pelt? I grew up in that era and today is the first time I have ever heard his name. I kinda get what you are saying, but you could argue that the Banks pick was planning for the future more than just trying to make one unit so dominant it shadows any other vulnerabilities.

Not necessarily building upon strength, but trying to force-feed position to get the most out of your top pick QB is how we landed Reggie Williams and Rodney, and you might even add Blackmon to this list, though I think he was legit if not for his issues with the drink.

You're kidding.  Brad Van Pelt was a very good linebacker.
(12-21-2022, 11:20 AM)RicoTx Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-21-2022, 09:13 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]might be picking nits, but Harry Carson was at least an 8 year veteran at that stage and what the heck is a Brad Van Pelt? I grew up in that era and today is the first time I have ever heard his name. I kinda get what you are saying, but you could argue that the Banks pick was planning for the future more than just trying to make one unit so dominant it shadows any other vulnerabilities.

You're kidding.  Brad Van Pelt was a very good linebacker.

for giggles I looked him up. Played through the 70's, was older than Carson at that darft and in 84 was on the Raiders.
(12-21-2022, 09:13 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-20-2022, 06:46 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Well, there is an approach where you don't necessarily path up weakneses but build uon strengths making them dominant.

Yes, Carson had been around a while, but he was still very much a key part of that LB corps for the Giants.

As for Brad Van Pelt...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...nPBr01.htm

He sticks out in my mind because he was the one LB in the NFL I ever recall wearing #10.

**Note-BVPs last year with the Giants was 1983, so you are right that the Banks pick could have been deemed a need at the time as Banks was Van Pelt's replacement. 

But they also had Gary Reasons and Byron Hunt on that defense, too and they were both pretty good.  I'd still say LB was an overall strength when Carl Banks came aboard.
Ridley will hopefully be a nice addition to our WR core. Understanding his background is key. I pray that he'll be Very Productive for several Jaguar years.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...