Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Our answer for CB opposite Campbell may already be on the roster.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Things just keep looking better for the Jaguars.  Many of us including myself assumed we had a huge hole at CB. It appeared that Campbell was out only decent cornerback so drafting one was a major priority.  We may need to pump the brakes on that!

Many experts kept saying Darious Willimas is not a good slot cb. I heard many saying he should be playing outside. The coaching staff has adjusted and the results are looking way up for Williams.

Out of 71 snaps he played lights out against the Cowboys according to PFF.

[Image: hw5196h8mv6a1.png]

Shipley also dropped this little dime as well:

https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...C4QAymITKQ
Doesn't matter if he plays inside or outside, you still have to have another good 3rd corner in today's NFL. His ability to play both is an advantage, but it still doesn't take away the need there.
(12-20-2022, 08:28 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]Doesn't matter if he plays inside or outside, you still have to have another good 3rd corner in today's NFL. His ability to play both is an advantage, but it still doesn't take away the need there.

Yeah but needing a nickel corner and needing a #2 cb is usually the difference in spending a 2nd vs a 4th or spending more in free agency.
If Williams continues playing well outside we can concentrate on other areas like OL or WR early in the draft.
(12-20-2022, 08:31 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-20-2022, 08:28 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]Doesn't matter if he plays inside or outside, you still have to have another good 3rd corner in today's NFL. His ability to play both is an advantage, but it still doesn't take away the need there.

Yeah but needing a nickel corner and needing a #2 cb is usually the difference in spending a 2nd vs a 4th or spending more in free agency.
If Williams continues playing well outside we can concentrate on other areas like OL or WR early in the draft.

I think it'd take CB in the 1st round out of the question, depending on how he plays down the stretch of the season. I'd still take a hard look at who's there in the 2nd or 3rd though. Nickel CB is essentially a starter in today's NFL. You have to have 3.
A lot of us were looking for this switch since Pierce roasted Griffin back in week six.

Just like Walker needing to play more 3-tech. Riley Moss from Iowa would be a good nickel corner to draft. In RD3 or RD4.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
I said earlier in the year the second time griffin/herndon blew a long chunk play to lose a game that he should be outside. And yes, it's an improvement but no he isn't the long term answer.
He should have been on the outside the entire time. Why can't Griffith come back and play nickle?
Draft should be BAP. within reason. Obviously no QBs or RB’s or even off ball backers. But there really isn’ta position otherwise we couldn’t use a pro bowler. Just take the best guy.
Moving Williams outside has been discussed here on and off pretty much since he was signed when many doubted his ability in the slot.

This is probably the fifth sixth thread it has popped up in since then.

It's still a valid point.

Moving him out and drafting a nickel could indeed be the way they address the glaring problem at CB.
You can't fix everything in one offseason most years, and this could be the shortcut they use save an early pick for something else.