Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jenkins AFC defensive player of the week
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
That was a slam-dunk.
That was a monster game for him.
Would have been the biggest snub in NFL history if he wasn't.
Congrats Rashawn! Helluva game!
(12-21-2022, 09:48 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Would have been the biggest snub in NFL history if he wasn't.

....your friendly reminder that MJD lost the 2006 OROY to a guy who threw 12 TDs and 13 picks.
Dang! Did we forget the vote for Rayshawn thread, or did I miss it? Congrats to him and well deserved!
(12-21-2022, 10:11 AM)UMikey Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-21-2022, 09:48 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Would have been the biggest snub in NFL history if he wasn't.

....your friendly reminder that MJD lost the 2006 OROY to a guy who threw 12 TDs and 13 picks.

Yikes i did forget that lol wow
He's still on contract through next year, correct?
(12-21-2022, 10:35 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]He's still on contract through next year, correct?

He is. 
Out clause on his contract after this year though. 

He's been considered a cap saving cut due to poor play, but who knows? 

Maybe he continues on to a strong finish in 2022 and earns his spot.
(12-21-2022, 10:39 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-21-2022, 10:35 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]He's still on contract through next year, correct?

He is. 

He's been really good in spots, but bad in others. I'd like to keep him but I wouldn't look past looking for an upgrade in the draft either.
(12-21-2022, 10:39 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]

He is. 

We'd save 6.25 million on the cap if we cut Jenkins...

I know NYC4Jags has concerns about Jenkins...  But I think it's important to consider that this isn't his free agency year, and he's playing like a madman over the last 9 weeks.  I think we should keep him for his last year under contract.  Dude is flying to the ball right now.  Him as Strong Safety and Cisco back there breaking up the deep ball is a great safety combo.

I'm telling ya'll our secondary isn't that far away from being really great. 

Freakin' Urban Meyer.  He really hurt the development of this team.  Cisco, Campbell, Jenkins are a great base Secondary.  Wingard is great depth, and Montaric Brown is coming on pretty good.

Keep Jenkins cut Shaq Griffin.  Shaq Griffin's cut opens up 13 million.  
And then, you gotta consider cutting Roy Robert Harris...  His cut would open up 7 million...    Cutting Harris lets us keep Jenkins, 1 for 1.
(12-21-2022, 10:49 AM)carp8dm Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-21-2022, 10:39 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]He is. 

I know NYC4Jags has concerns about Jenkins...  But I think it's important to consider that this isn't his free agency year, and he's playing like a madman over the last 9 weeks.  I think we should keep him for his last year under contract.  Dude is flying to the ball right now.  Him as Strong Safety and Cisco back there breaking up the deep ball is a great safety combo.

Freakin' Urban Meyer.  He really hurt the development of this team.  Cisco, Campbell, Jenkins are a great base Secondary.  Wingard is great depth, and Montaric Brown is coming on pretty good.

And then, you gotta consider cutting Roy Robert Harris...  His cut would open up 7 million...    Cutting Harris lets us keep Jenkins, 1 for 1.

There is actually a reasonable argument to extending him and thus reducing his cap hit for 23.
(12-21-2022, 10:49 AM)carp8dm Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-21-2022, 10:39 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]He is. 

I know NYC4Jags has concerns about Jenkins...  But I think it's important to consider that this isn't his free agency year, and he's playing like a madman over the last 9 weeks.  I think we should keep him for his last year under contract.  Dude is flying to the ball right now.  Him as Free Safety and Cisco back there breaking up the deep ball is a great safety combo.

Jenkins has been sprinkling some big whiffs for big gains in those games this year too. It can't be ignored. 

He's allowing a 74% completion percentage this year, and he's missed some key tackles too. 

All of his INTs were not when he was targeted but when the play was in his zone and ball was tipped or thrown way off target. 

I'm pulling for him to earn it and stick around because I don't want to acquire another guy, but I really have no idea if he's done enough yet in the eyes of our staff and front office. Seems on the fence to me.
(12-21-2022, 10:57 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-21-2022, 10:49 AM)carp8dm Wrote: [ -> ]We'd save 6.25 million on the cap if we cut Jenkins...

I know NYC4Jags has concerns about Jenkins...  But I think it's important to consider that this isn't his free agency year, and he's playing like a madman over the last 9 weeks.  I think we should keep him for his last year under contract.  Dude is flying to the ball right now.  Him as Free Safety and Cisco back there breaking up the deep ball is a great safety combo.

Jenkins has been sprinkling some big whiffs for big gains in those games this year too. It can't be ignored. 

He's allowing a 74% completion percentage this year, and he's missed some key tackles too. 

All of his INTs were not when he was targeted but when the play was in his zone and ball was tipped or thrown way off target. 

I'm pulling for him to earn it and stick around because I don't want to acquire another guy, but I really have no idea if he's done enough yet in the eyes of our staff and front office. Seems on the fence to me.

Jenkins came out weak at the beginning of the year.  There's no doubt about it.  

But I think he's come on strong since Trevor Lawrence and the offense has come on.  In addition, Cisco has come on as the back field enforcer.

I've read your criticism of Jenkins.  And honestly, I think you may very well be right.  It's kinda obvious that Jenkins is a front runner.

Now what do I mean by front runner?  I mean that he's a guy that if he think's he has ballers behind him, he's going to go all out and take care of business.  That type of player is a mercenary.  He's got no loyalty, but the minute he realizes he can shine because he as mates that aren't trash, he's gonna go ALL OUT.  That's Jenkins.  

You know who else is Jenkins?  Shaq Griffin.  Except Shaq folded his hand early and now he can go kick rocks with Las Vegas or another trifling organization.  At least Jenkins came back and gave it a moment to figure it out.  And now he's giving it his all just like Cisco does.

The offense is dangerous.  This makes it great for defensive ball hawks.  Trevor Lawrence changes everything.  If you want to rid ourselves of Jenkins, who do we get that can come in and plug and play?  I think it's wiser to keep the guy and maybe develop his replacement.  Jenkins and Wingard are similar dudes, in my opinion.   Keep both, let Wingard figure out Strong Safety, and then get rid of Jenkins after the 2023 season.  Wingard then becomes the Strong Safety for 2024.
Well deserved congrats Rayshawn!
(12-21-2022, 11:07 AM)carp8dm Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-21-2022, 10:57 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Jenkins has been sprinkling some big whiffs for big gains in those games this year too. It can't be ignored. 

Jenkins came out weak at the beginning of the year.  There's no doubt about it.  

But I think he's come on strong since Trevor Lawrence and the offense has come on.  In addition, Cisco has come on as the back field enforcer.

I've read your criticism of Jenkins.  And honestly, I think you may very well be right.  It's kinda obvious that Jenkins is a front runner.

Now what do I mean by front runner?  I mean that he's a guy that if he think's he has ballers behind him, he's going to go all out and take care of business.  That type of player is a mercenary.  He's got no loyalty, but the minute he realizes he can shine because he as mates that aren't trash, he's gonna go ALL OUT.  That's Jenkins.  

You know who else is Jenkins?  Shaq Griffin.  Except Shaq folded his hand early and now he can go kick rocks with Las Vegas or another trifling organization.  At least Jenkins came back and gave it a moment to figure it out.  And now he's giving it his all just like Cisco does.

The offense is dangerous.  This makes it great for defensive ball hawks.  Trevor Lawrence changes everything.  If you want to rid ourselves of Jenkins, who do we get that can come in and plug and play?  I think it's wiser to keep the guy and maybe develop his replacement.  Jenkins and Wingard are similar dudes, in my opinion.   Keep both, let Wingard figure out Strong Safety, and then get rid of Jenkins after the 2023 season.  Wingard then becomes the Strong Safety for 2024.

Sounds like a good way to describe most expensive free agent signings.  That's why your best players/leaders almost have to be drafted by the team.  Calais was an exception to that rule, but it's hard to find those guys.  Still irks me that Caldwell dumped him like he did.
As others have already mentioned, we have plenty of cap room after 2023, so if the team wants to keep him (and others that could be cap casualties), extending him is a possibility.
Jenkins had one of the greatest defensive games in Jaguars history with 18 combined tackles with 2 interceptions.

I would cut him at the end of the season. Derek Landri had one of the greatest defensive, playoff games against Pittsburgh but he didn’t stick around much longer.
https://twitter.com/NFLFilms/status/1605...KSIjnuL6Yw

(12-21-2022, 12:28 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Jenkins had one of the greatest defensive games in Jaguars history with 18 combined tackles with 2 interceptions.

I would cut him at the end of the season. Derek Landri had one of the greatest defensive, playoff games against Pittsburgh but he didn’t stick around much longer.
I'm down for drafting a safety but I'm not cutting a Jenkins and counting on a rookie to upgrade the position.  If the rookie can take the starting spot from Jenkins then fine, but I'm not just going to cut him
Jenkins actually blew his assignment on that walk off INT TD, but as the saying goes, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.
Pages: 1 2