Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Why I am confident about Tonight's Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Many of us, including myself, have expressed various concerns as to why we are nervious about the Jets game later tonight.  This is for good reason.  They have a very strong defense that is capable of shutting down a team as talented as the Bills. It's a short weak, etc. 

However, there ARE some reasons why we should be confident going into tonight's game.

1.  We still have Trevor Lawrence.  He's still red hot, and playing at this level outs him among the elite QBs in the game in just about any QB power ranking.  The Jets don't.  As far as the weather is concerned, I'm pretty certain TL has played in the rain before and has played well some of those times...even if it was in college.  There was the one time this yer in Philadelphia where he had a disastrous outing in a tropical storm, but who is to say that wasn't an aberration?  How many times does a person fumble 4 times in a game?  Trevor v. Philadelphia, Leon from the Budweiser commercial https://youtu.be/3BkIh1R5utY maybe Dave Kreig and that's pretty much it from my recollection.

2.  We have Doug Pederson.  One thing working against the Billsis they had a new OC...former Canes QB Ken Dorsey, who replaced Brian Daboll, who became Giants coach this year.  Pederson has much more experience calling plays, and may be better equipped to formulate s better game plan against that impressive Jets defense.

3.  The Jets have their share of injuries.  Their offensive line has been battered this year, and it's impacted their effectiveness.
Though we got hit kinda hard this past Sundaym we've been fortunate so far we haven't been hit as hard as the tacks and Jets.

4.  We've beaten tough defenses this year.Remember the Dallas game?  Remember the Ravens game?

5.  I think the weather can be an overrated factor.  Whenever a Florida team has to go to a cold weather city late in the season, the mesia act as if that team is the 1980s Bucs who went so many years without winning a game below 45 degrees.  Jaguars fans have internalized this to a ;arge extent.  WHen the new schedules are released, the first thing people look for are cold weather games, and cringe when they find them.  But the fact is, cols weather can be overrated.  Dating back to the 1970s the Dolphins owned the AFC East, including going undefeated against Buffalo the entire decade.  I'm pretty sure some of those games were played in cold weather.  In the 1980s, the 49ers were supposed to struggle as they had to go to Chicagoin a conference championship game.  The 49ers pulled it off.  In the JDR era, the Jaguars won in below freezing temps in Lambeau field and Jacksonville beat them, followed the next year with a January win in Pittsburgh (the Garrard run).  They beat Pittsburgh again in below freezing weather back in 2017.  We've seen Seattle, and San Francisco come to Green Bay in January and win.  Tje fact is, if you have to rely on the weather to beat a team, you've already lost.  Fact is, if you have a better team, you have a good chance of winning irrespective of the weather.
You jinxed it.
(12-22-2022, 12:53 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]You jinxed it.

So for as long as we have TLaw, we can't express confidence in our chances?

We must always act as if cursed?
Stopp im telling u, when we're pessimistic around here thats when we win, when we think its a W we get shocked into a loss.

Gotta predict losses!!
We haven't shown yet that we can win in adverse weather conditions. The Baltimore game was not a rain game, not like Philly and this one. While I see your points, i'm not sold till I see it. The only difference in this game and Philly will be the lower temp. Otherwise, same type rain and wind. That said, here's hoping we master the elements and its not a factor.
(12-22-2022, 01:04 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Stopp im telling u, when we're pessimistic around here thats when we win, when we think its a W we get shocked into a loss.

Gotta predict losses!!

Well I hate to break this ro you guys, but as long as we have Doug Pederson coaching the way he is, and Trever Lawrence playing the way he is, it's going to be hard NOT to have confidence going into a game.

If we lose the game tonight, it won't be due to some jinx, either preexisting or one you think I triggered with my post.

PTSD remains strong with this fan base I tell ya.
(12-22-2022, 01:14 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-22-2022, 01:04 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Stopp im telling u, when we're pessimistic around here thats when we win, when we think its a W we get shocked into a loss.

Gotta predict losses!!

Well I hate to break this ro you guys, but as long as we have Doug Pederson coaching the way he is, and Trever Lawrence playing the way he is, it's going to be hard NOT to have confidence going into a game.

If we lose the game tonight, it won't be due to some jinx, either preexisting or one you think I triggered with my post.

It's more just superstition for me atm, literally every game this season that I fully expected a loss we won, so i'm just trying to get that voodoo LOL

But in reality I do agree with you, I am very optimistic as of late.
(12-22-2022, 01:22 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-22-2022, 01:14 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Well I hate to break this ro you guys, but as long as we have Doug Pederson coaching the way he is, and Trever Lawrence playing the way he is, it's going to be hard NOT to have confidence going into a game.

It's more just superstition for me atm, literally every game this season that I fully expected a loss we won, so i'm just trying to get that voodoo LOL

Although I get the whole superstition thing (I AM a fan, after all), the day will soon come (if it isn't here already) where we won't have to rely on superstition (unless the front office fails catastrophically in the draft.

This also appliess to those who prefer to "sneak under the radar" to surprise teams. Newsflash: If we have Pederson and Lawrence cpntinuing to perform at their current levels, we'll get attantion from the radar. We're starting to get it now.
(12-22-2022, 01:24 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-22-2022, 01:22 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]It's more just superstition for me atm, literally every game this season that I fully expected a loss we won, so i'm just trying to get that voodoo LOL

Although I get the whole superstition thing (I AM a fan, after all), the day will soon come (if it isn't here already) where we won't have to rely on superstition (unless the front office fails catastrophically in the draft.

This also appliess to those who prefer to "sneak under the radar" to surprise teams.  Newsflash:  If we have Pederson and Lawrence cpntinuing to perform at their current levels, we'll get attantion from the radar.  We're starting to get it now.

Yeah i agree if Trevor stays the course we've seen lately then there will be room for big amounts of confidence. I'm really happy to see it. Also Doug was my guy going into the coach search so i'm extremely happy that's going well.
(12-22-2022, 01:28 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-22-2022, 01:24 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Although I get the whole superstition thing (I AM a fan, after all), the day will soon come (if it isn't here already) where we won't have to rely on superstition (unless the front office fails catastrophically in the draft.

This also appliess to those who prefer to "sneak under the radar" to surprise teams.  Newsflash:  If we have Pederson and Lawrence cpntinuing to perform at their current levels, we'll get attantion from the radar.  We're starting to get it now.

Yeah i agree if Trevor stays the course we've seen lately then there will be room for big amounts of confidence. I'm really happy to see it. Also Doug was my guy going into the coach search so i'm extremely happy that's going well.

You and I are in agreement about Pederson.

The second the Eagles fired him, he moved to the top of my list.
(12-22-2022, 01:31 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-22-2022, 01:28 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah i agree if Trevor stays the course we've seen lately then there will be room for big amounts of confidence. I'm really happy to see it. Also Doug was my guy going into the coach search so i'm extremely happy that's going well.

You and I are in agreement about Pederson.

The second the Eagles fired him, he moved to the top of my list.

Yeah I wont lie I was terrified we were gonna get suckered into a nostalgia trip and hire Leftwhich, I'm so happy Khan took the smart approach we needed someone who knew what he was doing and not someone who was so raw.

I would say the Eagles were crazy to let Pederson go but considering their success with the new guy I guess it worked out for everyone.
(12-22-2022, 01:14 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]

Gotta predict losses!!

Look, I was one of the only people I know that was saying I thought we had a chance against the Cowboys (to friends and family). I am not saying we can't be hopeful; I just don't know where or how anyone gets to be "confident" in today's NFL. Any given Sunday is a real thing. We have a young team that still ebbs and flows, and I think it's best if they stay humble and hungry while we temper expectations. I think we can beat the Jets. I don't expect it, and I'm definitely not confident in it.
My biggest concern tonight is the pass D of the Jets, and our own D. I know Wilson sucks but we been giving some pedestrian QBs good numbers all year. I just hope Trevor and the WRs can match up well against Sauce and Reed.

His fingers were crossed.  We're OK.
(12-22-2022, 01:43 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-22-2022, 01:14 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Well I hate to break this ro you guys, but as long as we have Doug Pederson coaching the way he is, and Trever Lawrence playing the way he is, it's going to be hard NOT to have confidence going into a game.

Look, I was one of the only people I know that was saying I thought we had a chance against the Cowboys (to friends and family). I am not saying we can't be hopeful; I just don't know where or how anyone gets to be "confident" in today's NFL. Any given Sunday is a real thing. We have a young team that still ebbs and flows, and I think it's best if they stay humble and hungry while we temper expectations. I think we can beat the Jets. I don't expect it, and I'm definitely not confident in it.
While this is true, you don't think Chiefs fans are confident? How about Bills fans?

When you have the QB and coach, you should be confident you can beat anyone.
First, there's a difference between confident and completely dismissive. All week long, all I''ve seen are people poor mouthing our chances. As I indicated in the opening post, I expressed nervousness about this game.

Just as a counterargument, I offered this thread. Note: I have not offered a prediction anywhere in this thread or on the board that offers a prediction on the game.

We've got some things going for us.

If you seriously think we've got NO chance to beat a 7-7 team, do you really want us going to the playoffs?

OK, it's obvious that as we move forward that some folks here need a refresher course on how and when a jinx is created.

First off, a jinx cannot be created only by saying you think your team can win.  That's not a jinx.

People, let's get our [BLEEP] together.  Someone explain to this poster the basics of a jinx...

If nobody does, I'll start a thread.  This idea that explaining how our team may win is the furthest from jinxes.

This is basic Fandom Theory that should be learned in How to Support Your Team Karmically 101
(12-22-2022, 02:12 PM)carp8dm Wrote: [ -> ]

OK, it's obvious that as we move forward that some folks here need a refresher course on how and when a jinx is created.

First off, a jinx cannot be created only by saying you think your team can win.  That's not a jinx.

People, let's get our [BLEEP] together.  Someone explain to this poster the basics of a jinx...

If nobody does, I'll start a thread.  This idea that explaining how our team may win is the furthest from jinxes.

This is basic Fandom Theory that should be learned in How to Support Your Team Karmically 101
damnit you jinxed the jinx
TL fumbles a lot.

There --- i removed the jinx
I have high hopes but I'm concerned about their defense and the short week. Of course the Jets have to worry about the short week too but I dunno, I think with the crazy win against the cowgirls, it may impact us more. Also they're more accustomed to playing on that artificial turf and the weather conditions than we are. I hope things go our way and Zach Wilson isn't exactly the most accurate QB in the league but I just think it will come down to defense and they have the edge there. ETN and Hasty better come to play with the conditions. Snoop may get a bigger role than he's gotten lately.

Should be able to keep it close so maybe if it comes down to the 4th quarter, we can get a FG to win. Fingers crossed.
Pages: 1 2