Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Artic blizzard really this week of all weeks?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So it's been a solid two years since I've taken the family on vacation. Between COVID and the shop it's just been impossible to break away. This year I blocked out the week after Christmas to take off, first time in 15 years. Processed all 100 of our meat birds, got the pigs to the butcher early, cleared the garden beds and arranged to have the dogs checked in on while we got away. Reserved a suite in Branson Missouri for next week, now I'm a little nervous I've never seen snow much less driven in snow. 

Route has us going up 75 to Atlanta across Alabama on 20 and into Mississippi catch Memphis and cut across Arkansas up into Branson. A 16 hour drive is cake but in the snow? When we drove to Wyoming it was summer not sure about this winter trip. Anyone near the Missouri/Arkansas border what are the roads like?
Oh don’t worry about it. In snow/ice you can make your vehicle do cool things that normally tears it up. Damn southerner. J/k. I say that because I’ve been told “damned Yankee” a million times. That and “[BLEEP]” and “there’s something wrong with you”. You’ll be alright. 4 wheel drive/AWD/ front wheel drive will help. I’m going on a limb here and assuming your vehicle has it.
(12-23-2022, 09:28 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]Oh don’t worry about it.  In snow/ice you can make your vehicle do cool things that normally tears it up.  Damn southerner.  J/k.  I say that because I’ve been told “damned Yankee” a million times.  That and “[BLEEP]” and “there’s something wrong with you”. You’ll be alright.  4 wheel drive/AWD/ front wheel drive will help.  I’m going on a limb here and assuming your vehicle has it.

Yea truck is 4wd how'd you know? Haha
(12-23-2022, 09:36 PM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-23-2022, 09:28 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]Oh don’t worry about it.  In snow/ice you can make your vehicle do cool things that normally tears it up.  Damn southerner.  J/k.  I say that because I’ve been told “damned Yankee” a million times.  That and “[BLEEP]” and “there’s something wrong with you”. You’ll be alright.  4 wheel drive/AWD/ front wheel drive will help.  I’m going on a limb here and assuming your vehicle has it.

Yea truck is 4wd how'd you know? Haha
If I’m being honest… I’d be a moron to think you didn’t from what you’ve posted.  You’re a “good ole boy” from the south.  Live off your land (and the paycheck). Long story short; you’ve got chickens, hogs, whatever… you’ve got a 4x4 truck. Process of elimination maybe. Stereotyping, perhaps.  Either way, as long as you aren’t silly on the roads, I think you’ll be fine.  You and the fam get the pleasure to see snow (without having to shovel it).  Enjoy the trip!
If you're driving on snow or slick roads, brakes are your enemy. Not only will they not stop you, but if your wheels lock up, you lose control of the vehicle. Drive slow, use your brakes lightly, gearing down is preferable and look as far ahead as possible. Steering inputs need a little longer to translate.

Remember, if you start to go in a direction you don't want, do not slam the brakes and don't panic. Steer to where you want to go.
(12-23-2022, 10:03 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]If you're driving on snow or slick roads, brakes are your enemy. Not only will they not stop you, but if your wheels lock up, you lose control of the vehicle. Drive slow, use your brakes lightly, gearing down is preferable and look as far ahead as possible. Steering inputs need a little longer to translate.

Remember, if you start to go in a direction you don't want, do not slam the brakes and don't panic. Steer to where you want to go.

Serious question, do they not teach “steering into the skid” down here?
(12-23-2022, 10:11 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-23-2022, 10:03 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]If you're driving on snow or slick roads, brakes are your enemy. Not only will they not stop you, but if your wheels lock up, you lose control of the vehicle. Drive slow, use your brakes lightly, gearing down is preferable and look as far ahead as possible. Steering inputs need a little longer to translate.

Serious question, do they not teach “steering into the skid” down here?

They might, but with no winter time slick road hazards like up north, it’s not emphasized as much.
Welp my power was out here in NC for almost 8 hours(Just got restored a bit over an hour ago) and my kerosene heater didn't work so about froze my nuts off. As far as yourself friend, just take it slow when you drive out in the kind of weather you are talking about. If people get aggravated with you out on the highway, let them blow your doors off and pass you, main thing is keeping you and yours safe. Enjoy!
(12-23-2022, 10:26 PM)Butters Wrote: [ -> ]Welp my power was out here in NC for almost 8 hours(Just got restored a bit over an hour ago) and my kerosene heater didn't work so about froze my nuts off. As far as yourself friend, just take it slow when you drive out in the kind of weather you are talking about. If people get aggravated with you out on the highway, let them blow your doors off and pass you, main thing is keeping you and yours safe. Enjoy!

Dang dude. Warm up! You might want to buy a new heater. How cold did it get last night where you live? I'm in Moore county and it was 9° at 0530.
(12-24-2022, 09:19 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-23-2022, 10:26 PM)Butters Wrote: [ -> ]Welp my power was out here in NC for almost 8 hours(Just got restored a bit over an hour ago) and my kerosene heater didn't work so about froze my nuts off. As far as yourself friend, just take it slow when you drive out in the kind of weather you are talking about. If people get aggravated with you out on the highway, let them blow your doors off and pass you, main thing is keeping you and yours safe. Enjoy!

Dang dude. Warm up! You might want to buy a new heater. How cold did it get last night where you live? I'm in Moore county and it was 9° at 0530.

Haha, went this morning to Lowe's and got another one just in case it happens again. And it got down to 10 degrees last night(I live near Winston-Salem).
(12-24-2022, 12:01 PM)Butters Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-24-2022, 09:19 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]Dang dude. Warm up! You might want to buy a new heater. How cold did it get last night where you live? I'm in Moore county and it was 9° at 0530.

Haha, went this morning to Lowe's and got another one just in case it happens again. And it got down to 10 degrees last night(I live near Winston-Salem).

Stay warm dude. Supposed to get frosty again tonight. Hell, it hasn't thawed out yet.
(12-24-2022, 05:34 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-24-2022, 12:01 PM)Butters Wrote: [ -> ]Haha, went this morning to Lowe's and got another one just in case it happens again. And it got down to 10 degrees last night(I live near Winston-Salem).

Stay warm dude. Supposed to get frosty again tonight. Hell, it hasn't thawed out yet.

Appreciate that friend, same to you Smile
(12-23-2022, 10:25 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-23-2022, 10:11 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]Serious question, do they not teach “steering into the skid” down here?

They might, but with no winter time slick road hazards like up north, it’s not emphasized as much.
With front wheel drive and ABS, skids happen far less frequently than in the "old days" anyway and some people down here have never even seen snow.   For those who have, who can forget the feeling you experience when sliding friction suddenly becomes less than rolling friction?