Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Riley Patterson
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This young man is an exclusive rights free agent in 2023. 

Do we re-sign him?  (I think so)

Drawbacks are leg strength kicking deep and touchback percentage. 

https://twitter.com/Demetrius82/status/1...hSEoIDKzSg
I think I’d still want to see who is available and bring in some competition. I could be wrong, but that Washington game kind of gave me the impression Pederson didn’t trust the kicker and went for it on 4th. Yes, Pederson is known for going for it. Week 1 was a long time ago. But from what I remember, a couple field goals in those situations and they probably would’ve won. Probably Another game throughout the season as well.
(12-28-2022, 10:10 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]This young man is an exclusive rights free agent in 2023. 

Do we re-sign him?  (I think so)

Drawbacks are leg strength kicking deep and touchback percentage. 

https://twitter.com/Demetrius82/status/1...hSEoIDKzSg

He kicks a consistently pretty ball.  Even if it's off-target, it flies the same way.  Gives him a good chance of making just about everything.  I'd re-sign him for sure.

(12-28-2022, 10:33 AM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]I think I’d still want to see who is available and bring in some competition. I could be wrong, but that Washington game kind of gave me the impression Pederson didn’t trust the kicker and went for it on 4th.  Yes, Pederson is known for going for it.  Week 1 was a long time ago.  But from what I remember, a couple field goals in those situations and they probably would’ve won.  Probably  Another game throughout the season as well.

You mean the first game of the season the very week after signing Patterson off the waiver wire?  Nobody trusted the kicker yet.
Yes. I trust him to make crunch time kicks and I am sure he will get better when it comes to other facets of the game.
Don't Kickers take a few years to get to their peak too?

Like most the "undrafted FA kickers" that make have a few years out of football before making it. He is only 23 so he can still get better.
re-sign him
Let him make some clutch kicks, and then it will be difficult to replace him.
Resign him, he's as accurate as Matthew Wright was with another solid 5 yards on that leg. I would've kept Wright, it's more important to me for a guy to hit all his 40s than to be able to hit a 60. I think Patterson has room to improve and probably will.
Resign him
Re-sign him and bring in competition.
Make him comptete
Here are some random stats about Riley Patterson

Patterson needs 6 FGs to set the Jaguars single season record for most FGs made in a season. He also needs 6 attempts to tie Hollis for most FG attempts in a season.

2017 Lambo FG% 85.7
2022 Patterosn FG% 84.4

TB%
Lambo - 54.2
Patterson - 51.9

KO Avg
Lambo 58.5
Wright 60.7
Patterson 62.3
Scobee 64
Hollis 60.7

FG% in team history:
Lambo - 91.6
Wright - 87.5
Patterson - 84.4
Scobee - 80.8
Hollis - 80.6

XP% in team history
Lambo - 90.1
Patterson - 96.8

2022 Justin Tucker = 84.2 FG%
2022 Riley Patterson=84.4 FG%

*Patterson became the 13th player in franchise history to win the AFC Special Teams Player of the Week Award. The last Jaguars player to win the award was Matthew Wright.

Patterson is 5th all time in team history for Field Goals Made
(12-28-2022, 12:05 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Resign him, he's as accurate as Matthew Wright was with another solid 5 yards on that leg. I would've kept Wright, it's more important to me for a guy to his all his 40s than to be able to hit a 60. I think Patterson has room to improve and probably will.

This. The extra leg is nice but we need accurate and dependable way more. Unless we manage to find a Justin Tucker I try to keep Riley
(12-28-2022, 02:16 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-28-2022, 12:05 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Resign him, he's as accurate as Matthew Wright was with another solid 5 yards on that leg. I would've kept Wright, it's more important to me for a guy to his all his 40s than to be able to hit a 60. I think Patterson has room to improve and probably will.

This. The extra leg is nice but we need accurate and dependable way more. Unless we manage to find a Justin Tucker I try to keep Riley

This season Patterson is more accurate than Tucker

Patterson FG% = 84.4
Tucker FG%  =  84.2

Patterson XP%=96.8
Tucker  XP% = 96.7

I would just keep Patterson
(12-28-2022, 02:01 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Here are some random stats about Riley Patterson

Patterson needs 6 FGs to set the Jaguars single season record for most FGs made in a season. He also needs 6 attempts to tie Hollis for most FG attempts in a season.

FG% in team history:
Lambo - 91.6
Wright - 87.5
Patterson - 84.4
Scobee - 80.8
Hollis - 80.6

Was surprised to see Patterson ahead of Scobee.  Knowing Scobee had a bigger leg and thus likely given more opportunity to attempt at longer range (which would lower overall fg%), I just ran some quick numbers applying Patterson's FG% at each set of 10 yard distances (20-29 yards, 30-39 yards, etc...) to Scobee's number of attempts at each distance.  And Patterson still comes out ahead but only barely.  Scobee made 235 kicks for us and Patterson would be at 238 or 81.9% of his kicks.  thank you pro football reference.com for making this a 5 second calc.

Anyways got to hand it to Patterson.  Has been good for us.  Not quite as accurate as peak Lambo and obviously doesnt give you the range that Scobee did, but pretty money under 50 yards.  No is one is good enough to not face competition but would definitely like to see him return.  If someone beats him out next year so be it.  But honestly I dont think it'd be easy to find someone who could.  He has been good.
I'd re-sign him definitely. I know we all want the kind of guy who can bang 65 yarders like Justin Tucker, but there's a reason why he's the best in the business.

For an Offense that moves the ball so well between the 20's, having a guy who's all but money from 45 and in is great to have. He's also only 23 years old, so he's just getting started.
Yep pay him
Resingn him and bring in some young talent to compete with him.
Nope,  bring back Long Ding.
No brainier to re sign him. He’s reliable and young. No need to create a hole in the roster unnecessarily. A full off-season in a strength and conditioning program would probably improve his leg strength aswell
Pages: 1 2 3