Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: A Hostile Environment?!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was watching the Doug Pederson Show on Youtube and Chris Manhertz was on the show.

Lageman asked him about the challenges the expected lackluster environment they expect from the Houston crowd because of how poor their season has been, and how fans are already looking forward to the draft, etc.  Not that it was that long ago, but I remember being in crowds of that nature, and I shook my head in dismay.

But what was really sad was Manhertz' response.  He described the environment in the Dallas game as a "hostile environment" that helped prepare the team for criwd challenges to come.  We were the home team....in our stadium...yet the crowd was deemed "hostile" by a Jaguars player. 

Were he lauding the home crowd for being raucous...for helping the team get false starts, etc, that would be one thing. But within the context of his response, it was a negative factor for the Jaguars. 

Part of that is to be expected.  Dallas is perhaps the team with the biggest national following-at least in the top 3-4.  Conversely, the Jaguars are still trying to carve out a niche among football fans.  That is exacerbated by the decade plus of losing this team has done.  This is far from the only time this has been the case.  The Steelers, Giants, Cowboys and the 49ers have created that atmosphere  in our stadium.

I'm glad we now have Pederson and Trevor Lawrence as leading Jaguars figures.  It took a while to get things going this year, but they seem to be in the process ot turning things around for the better.  Lots of negative streaks/trends have turned around.  We couldn't win on the West coast, but we beat the Chargers this year.  We couldn;t beat any NFC teams for 20 straight games until we beat Dallas.  We couldn't beat Tennessee on the road since 2013 (?) until we beat them this year.  We still have a few streaks left to break jn the two regular season games left.  We haven't beate the Texans in the last nine games, dating back to 2018,  We haven't swept the tacks since 2005 (the "Fisher sucks chant game."  We haven;t w't won the division since 2017.

It's my deepest hope that if we can accomplish this, continue to strengthen our team and our hold on the division, we'll win the trust and admiration of the fans in here, such that opposing fan takeovers of our stadiums never happen again.
The recent wins will shift that rapidly.

Week 18 will be a far cry from that.

The 2017 home games are the most recent perfect example

Week 6 had way too many opposing fans and empty seats, while week 14 was a sold-out, raucous, Duval-throng-of-teal-blooded-fanatics in all of their full-throated glory. The main difference was a winning Jaguars football team.
I agree. Winning will cure that. And from what I’ve seen/read about the potential playoff game seems like we’re coming out of the woodwork. Winning cures all.
Can’t blame people for selling their season ticket to Dallas back in probably September.

Not sure what they were going for but it likely covers a lot of the overall cost of season tickets.

Keep winning (like others have said) and people will keep those tickets.
Sounds simple enough, but it really is the truth: Just keep on winning and be a team the local fans can be proud of and away fans will not take over anymore. Jacksonville is a great spot in this regard compared to the likes of the Chargers who have to compete with the Rams for fans and the tons of tourists that visit LA on a consistent basis.
(12-29-2022, 08:57 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Can’t blame people for selling their season ticket to Dallas back in probably September.

Not sure what they were going for but it likely covers a lot of the overall cost of season tickets.

One season fairly recently I resold my tix to a greenbay game and bought priority London seats which I resold.
The profit from those two transactions paid for 50% of one of my two season tickets. 

So yeah, folks definitely do that. 

In 2017 - I sold my two playoff tix to buffahole fans for a 400% markup and used that money to pool together with a dozen other fans and rent a pool cabana with a food and drink package included. 
I actually wish I'd kept my seats in retrospect because I don't like the view from the pools - but it was cool to check that off the list.
Well ya they had just laid a stinker in Detroit, we had all written them off as dead. I remember having to convince myself to watch the Dallas game I expected a blow out loss again.

I always roll my eyes when players talk about the crowd hyping them up. Come on your a professional don't blame production or lack of it on crowd interaction. They're winning the crowds will come back so this is a non issue.
I felt the crowd in the second half of the Dallas game. It was hostile for the Cowboys. Not so much in the first half but there is definitely a different juice. We're gonna need some of that next week.
Fans need to bring it next week
(12-29-2022, 11:47 PM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: [ -> ]I felt the crowd in the second half of the Dallas game.  It was hostile for the Cowboys.  Not so much in the first half but there is definitely a different juice.  We're gonna need some of that next week.

Yeah, I thought if someone was going to reference a game where the opposing fans were as loud if not louder than Jags fans it would have been the Giants game.  I don’t know if it was just the dark blue standing out, but sure looked 60/40 in their favor for that game and I can’t say I’ve ever felt like Jags fans were a minority even when the Steelers come to town.  

Cowboys game on the other hand didn’t feel like a hostile environment for us.  Maybe Manhertz spent more time near the visiting side and specifically the northeast corner of the stadium where opposing fans are more densely packed usually.
(12-29-2022, 11:47 PM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: [ -> ]I felt the crowd in the second half of the Dallas game.  It was hostile for the Cowboys.  Not so much in the first half but there is definitely a different juice.  We're gonna need some of that next week.

That's because all those cow poker fans had Jaguars t-shirts under their dallass jerseys just in case they needed to jump of the band wagon. By the 4th quarter you'd never know they started out in their Dak gear.
(12-29-2022, 08:57 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Can’t blame people for selling their season ticket to Dallas back in probably September.

....or fleece the stupid 'poke fans for even more Wink
(12-29-2022, 11:56 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]

Yeah, I thought if someone was going to reference a game where the opposing fans were as loud if not louder than Jags fans it would have been the Giants game.  I don’t know if it was just the dark blue standing out, but sure looked 60/40 in their favor for that game and I can’t say I’ve ever felt like Jags fans were a minority even when the Steelers come to town.  

Cowboys game on the other hand didn’t feel like a hostile environment for us.  Maybe Manhertz spent more time near the visiting side and specifically the northeast corner of the stadium where opposing fans are more densely packed usually.

I was at the giants game. It seemed like 60/40 NY fans at least. I remember coming to the board and asking if that was how it usually was, as that was my first game in Jacksonville.
(12-30-2022, 04:39 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-29-2022, 11:56 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, I thought if someone was going to reference a game where the opposing fans were as loud if not louder than Jags fans it would have been the Giants game.  I don’t know if it was just the dark blue standing out, but sure looked 60/40 in their favor for that game and I can’t say I’ve ever felt like Jags fans were a minority even when the Steelers come to town.  

I was at the giants game. It seemed like 60/40 NY fans at least. I remember coming to the board and asking if that was how it usually was, as that was my first game in Jacksonville.

I’ve had season tickets since ‘09 and rarely miss a game.  I went sporadically to games prior to that including most steeler games during the 2000s.  That Giants game this year was the worst I’ve ever personally witnessed. You just have to keep in mind there are a lot of New Yorkers all over Florida so they aren’t all necessarily flying in. Most of them might already be here or driving from within a few hours radius.

Thanks for traveling in to support the home team though. We should have had that game.
Over the years, we've had games with a lot of visitors but the reality is the Jags fans have always outnumbered visiting fans. Visitors tend to stand out more I guess because they are wearing a different color jersey and are making noise when the home team is playing offense. I guess this is what Manhertz meant by "hostile crowd". Since he's a TE he's probably not paying attention to how loud the crowd is when the Jags are on defense. I don't think he really meant anything negative about it.

I remember the KC game a couple years ago where there may have been 15,000 visitors. It does look like A LOT when you're sitting on the home side and looking across at the visitor's side, especially that north corner section. You'll never completely get rid of it but it will decrease as the team becomes more successful and there are less tickets available for purchase and fewer Jag fans willing to give them up.
Ok, hear me out here. I’ve had a couple drinks, but this is what I’m thinking:
Trevor and dougie P go on a TB/BB run. Win a SB or 7. Id be happy with just 3, for the record. Then Dallas, NY, and GB players can complain about all the real jerseys in their stadiums.
(12-30-2022, 07:11 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, hear me out here.  I’ve had a couple drinks, but this is what I’m thinking:
Trevor and dougie P go on a TB/BB run.  Win a SB or 7.  Id be happy with just 3, for the record. Then Dallas, NY, and GB players can complain about all the real jerseys in their stadiums.

The league may let us have one, but the fix will be in beyond that.  Too much money at stake and too few Jags fans relative to other fan bases.  Little else would make me happier than for Trevor to wind down his career here 15-20 years from now with 4 or 5 Super Bowl rings and the league as a whole to have had declining revenues during his years of dominance because the masses don’t want to watch small market Jacksonville dominate.
(12-30-2022, 07:29 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-30-2022, 07:11 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, hear me out here.  I’ve had a couple drinks, but this is what I’m thinking:
Trevor and dougie P go on a TB/BB run.  Win a SB or 7.  Id be happy with just 3, for the record. Then Dallas, NY, and GB players can complain about all the real jerseys in their stadiums.

The league may let us have one, but the fix will be in beyond that.  Too much money at stake and too few Jags fans relative to other fan bases.  Little else would make me happier than for Trevor to wind down his career here 15-20 years from now with 4 or 5 Super Bowl rings and the league as a whole to have had declining revenues during his years of dominance because the masses don’t want to watch small market Jacksonville dominate.

Lawrence is marketing gold, the NFL and Disney would go all in if he succeeds
They would force feed the masses
(12-30-2022, 08:25 PM)jagshype Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-30-2022, 07:29 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]The league may let us have one, but the fix will be in beyond that.  Too much money at stake and too few Jags fans relative to other fan bases.  Little else would make me happier than for Trevor to wind down his career here 15-20 years from now with 4 or 5 Super Bowl rings and the league as a whole to have had declining revenues during his years of dominance because the masses don’t want to watch small market Jacksonville dominate.

Lawrence is marketing gold, the NFL and Disney would go all in if he succeeds
They would force feed the masses

I don’t want to get too far into this in this section, but with the long hair… I’m sure Disney Will appreciate it.