Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Matchup of the Game: Walker Little vs Bosa/Mack!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is going to be a shootout to win. This is not the same Chargers team we faced earlier in the season. It comes down to pass protection and if Lawrence can get the time to make downfield plays.  I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised how Little has been playing. I see very little drop off with Little taking the LT position so far.  Bosa is a bit banged up but it's still Joey Bosa. Mack also can be a wrecking ball. Little holding his own to provide Lawrence the time will be key.
Good point.

The entire OL will be tested and Little will get a lot thrown his way.

Trevor needs to get the ball out quickly, the run blocks need to be well executed so we can run against some of their pass rush sets, and screens will have to be set up perfectly.
keeping that pass rush at bay is a big priority Saturday night.
(01-11-2023, 07:30 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: [ -> ]This is going to be a shootout to win. This is not the same Chargers team we faced earlier in the season. It comes down to pass protection and if Lawrence can get the time to make downfield plays.  I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised how Little has been playing. I see very little drop off with Little taking the LT position so far.  Bosa is a bit banged up but it's still Joey Bosa. Mack also can be a wrecking ball. Little holding his own to provide Lawrence the time will be key.

Walker Little has played well for us thus far in my estimation.  However, by that same estimation, the mathup with Bosa is a major concern.  Little has been cited by Searcy and others as having difficulty utilizing his hands properly.  Bosa is great with his hands.  Hopefully, Little has improved in his hand usage under the tutelage of Rauscher.  We'll need him at the top of his game.

I think a favorable matchup for the Jaguars is the opposite-our DEs vs. the Chargers' backup LT.  Rashawn Slater was just placed on a 21 day list where he can be activated.  But the Chargers coach said he will not play in the game this weekend.
Run. The. Ball.
I think the ideal matchup of the game will be Travon Walker's shoulder and Justin Herbert.

This is going to be a good game for ETN.
They need to be aggressive. Staley likes to gamble. Pederson is going to need to consider this earlier on as Staley will without any doubt look to steal another series or two.

I do not want to see another series with this defense getting schooled by the same exact play on the same exact down on the same exact series. 4th down conversion attempts need to be snuffed.

Pederson has to catch that and he has to ice that type of stuff when it's happening. That kind of stuff will cost you the game against the Chargers. Simple timeout can allow your opponent to rethink the decision or at least steal the original play call.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
(01-11-2023, 07:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Good point.

Trevor needs to get the ball out quickly, the run blocks need to be well executed so we can run against some of their pass rush sets, and screens will have to be set up perfectly.

I feel like we always come out on the wrong end of screens. Offensively and defensively, I feel like we always get gouged by them defensively for way more than they should get and I feel like they get snuffed out for minimal to no gain when we call them. 

It may have been Detroit but I remember someone this year running them 3-4 times a drive and getting us for what felt like 15+ per attempt.
Did Mack even play in the first game? And I know Bosa got injured at some point and Keenan Allen didn't play at all. Mike Williams - either we did a very good job limiting him to one reception, or he got hurt at some point too. And to top it off, Herbert was just a game removed from having his ribs injured.

Yeah, not going to be the same team we saw the first time, but the Jags and TLaw have come together in a lot of ways that they were just sniffing at the beginning of the season as well. Can't wait to see everyone at the stadium Saturday! Last week's game was the best and loudest crowd I ever remember seeing/hearing. Hopefully it's just as fun this week.
Last game cam played a really good game along with a get the ball out quick to help. But Lawrence I believe didn't even get hit in that game.

Both these teams over the last & - 5 weeks are very similar in all aspects.
(01-12-2023, 09:52 AM)scottyg Wrote: [ -> ]Did Mack even play in the first game?  And I know Bosa got injured at some point and Keenan Allen didn't play at all.  Mike Williams - either we did a very good job limiting him to one reception, or he got hurt at some point too.  And to top it off, Herbert was just a game removed from having his ribs injured.

Yeah, not going to be the same team we saw the first time, but the Jags and TLaw have come together in a lot of ways that they were just sniffing at the beginning of the season as well.  Can't wait to see everyone at the stadium Saturday!  Last week's game was the best and loudest crowd I ever remember seeing/hearing.  Hopefully it's just as fun this week.

Mack had 4 solo 1 ast, 0 sacks.

I'm not going to expect a repeat of that performance. If the game is in fact a shootout, he'll get a lot more opportunity to rush the passer.

I know you know this...  Just using your point to jump off from...

The bunch formation that we were running early in December needs to make a come back.  Having tight trips with Zay, Kirk, and Engram was deadly for us.

Also, Lawrence was #1 in release time for most of December at like 2.17 seconds (or something like that, I don't have the exact stats).  What that means was that the play calling by Pederson was tight - AND - Trevor was pre-reading before the snap efficiently.  I hope they have been practicing this again this week.

Lawrence and Pederson are best together when they have a 3 depth concept working of a tight trips formation.  Then, they can use that same formation to run ETN/Hasty, or even play-action bootleg to the opposite field.

We got away from all those patterns once we played the Jets.  I expect us to get back to these types of formations, route concepts, and play calls that get the defense to have to re-act instead of attack.
(01-12-2023, 11:40 AM)carp8dm Wrote: [ -> ]

I know you know this...  Just using your point to jump off from...

The bunch formation that we were running early in December needs to make a come back.  Having tight trips with Zay, Kirk, and Engram was deadly for us.

Also, Lawrence was #1 in release time for most of December at like 2.17 seconds (or something like that, I don't have the exact stats).  What that means was that the play calling by Pederson was tight - AND - Trevor was pre-reading before the snap efficiently.  I hope they have been practicing this again this week.

Lawrence and Pederson are best together when they have a 3 depth concept working of a tight trips formation.  Then, they can use that same formation to run ETN/Hasty, or even play-action bootleg to the opposite field.

We got away from all those patterns once we played the Jets.  I expect us to get back to these types of formations, route concepts, and play calls that get the defense to have to re-act instead of attack.

It wasn't so much "getting away" from anything as it is just individual gameplans tailored to target opponents weak points. 
It's also in direct response to the coverages being used on game day by the opponent. Which is always in flux. 

Pederson - of any coach this team has ever head - is by miles the smartest I've seen about making a defense beat you before altering tactic. He knows what he's got from his 11 personnel group in a bunch formation. He'll use it efficiently when it isn't being defended. I have more trust in that than I've ever had in any Jags coach to use his best assets. Any you're right, that formation is producing great results.

I love that 2.17 number, BTW. We need that to keep Trevor upright unfortunately. Especially on Saturday.
(01-12-2023, 06:23 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: [ -> ]

I feel like we always come out on the wrong end of screens. Offensively and defensively, I feel like we always get gouged by them defensively for way more than they should get and I feel like they get snuffed out for minimal to no gain when we call them. 

It may have been Detroit but I remember someone this year running them 3-4 times a drive and getting us for what felt like 15+ per attempt.

Yep.  Screens are a measure of the altheticism and ability to deceive that your o-line and receivers have, and a measure of the discipline and reaction time of your defensive front 7.  Jaguars have deficiencies in both areas.  A few players need to be swapped out before September 2023.
What an opportunity for Little, easily the biggest game of his life. Hope he brings it!
Herndon vs Allen in the slot is a concern
It can't be up to the defense to win us this game. Doug either has the entire team ready to go and we execute at a high level and get the W or we lose and deservedly so. It's the playoffs baby!
(01-13-2023, 04:15 PM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: [ -> ]It can't be up to the defense to win us this game.  Doug either has the entire team ready to go and we execute at a high level and get the W or we lose and deservedly so.  It's the playoffs baby!

Agreed, it's the offenses turn to shine.  Hopefully Etienne can have a big day and it will open up the passing game
(01-13-2023, 12:37 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Herndon vs Allen in the slot is a concern

Drunk post, carry on
(01-13-2023, 09:03 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-13-2023, 12:37 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Herndon vs Allen in the slot is a concern

No it won't!

https://theathletic.com/3764224/2022/11/...ns-injury/

?? Confused