Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Early Evidence of a Special Trait
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Great QBs have many traits, objective and subjective, tangible and intangible, that make them great.    Championships won...number of wins...number of post season accolades.  One such trait is the ability to rally a team from behind to a late game victory.  Most of the all time great QBs have done this in their careers. 

Roger Staubach had the Hail Mary in the playoffs against Minnesota and the comeback against Washington that featured some two TDs in the last two minutes to win 35-34 (a game I saw). They have gone down in NFL lore as two of the more famous wins in NFL history.

Joe Montana's 2nd year featured a season ending rally from a 35-7 halftime deficit to beat the Saints.  The next year, his legend was made trailing 27-21 to Dallas in the NFC title game to throw the game winning TD to Dwight Clark (forever known as "the catch") with 68 seconds remaining to win 28-27 (a game that nauseates me to this day).  Of course Montana did it again in Super Bowl XXIII, driving the team 88 yards to hit WR John Taylor to beat the Bengals.

John Elway was always a high profile player dating back to before he was drafted.  He didn't want to be drafted by the Colts and threatened to play baseball for the Yankees.  However, his football legend was forged in Cleveland, where he led the Denver Broncos 98 yards for a TD late in the 4th quarter in freezing temperatures to beat the Cleveland Browns in the playoffs in what is known as "the Drive."

For all of Peyton Manning's greatness, he too, has his share of come from behind wins.  Perhaps his best was the MNF game against the Bucs, where he rallied the Colts from a 21 point deficit to beat the Bucs in the last 4 minutes of the game. 

Brady's greatness was already well established by the time they played Atlanta in the Super Bowl, but he added another important chapter when he rallied the Patriots from a 28-3 deficit to beat the Falcons in the Super Bowl.

While having this trait alone does not guarantee greatness for Trevor Lawrence, and I do not assert Trevor Lawrence is in their class in terms of career accomplishments, records set, or championships won, I submit he has demonstrated he shares with them the trait of being able to rally the team from large deficits to late game wins over the Raiders, Ravens and Cowboys.    While sadly he will never have the advantage of having his exploits memorialized on a John Facenda narrated highlight package like Staubach, Montana, Marrino, etc., if he continues to develop and he continues to get help, he will be a legend in his own right.
He has all the tools to be a great QB for a long time; hopefully his whole career is in Jacksonville!
That touchdown pass to Marvin Jones Jr. In last year’s season finale vs. indy was all I needed to see to know Trevor had the “it” factor.  First year in the league, errant snap, defender immediately in his face, and he rolls out and completes the most beautiful pass I’ve ever seen him throw…and all this after the damage Meyer brought into the organization.  Yeah, the kid is going to be a superstar, and we get to watch the highlights for years to come.
(01-13-2023, 07:49 PM)KodiakJag Wrote: [ -> ]That touchdown pass to Marvin Jones Jr. In last year’s season finale vs. indy was all I needed to see to know Trevor had the “it” factor.  First year in the league, errant snap, defender immediately in his face, and he rolls out and completes the most beautiful pass I’ve ever seen him throw…and all this after the damage Meyer brought into the organization.  Yeah, the kid is going to be a superstar, and we get to watch the highlights for years to come.

Which makes the sailed Zay Jones pass in the endzone last week seem all the more curious. Doug said it best, he just needs to calm down. That will come with time and a better O line.
(01-13-2023, 07:09 PM)Butters Wrote: [ -> ]He has all the tools to be a great QB for a long time; hopefully his whole career is in Jacksonville!

Completely agree.
If we would have won the games against the Colts, Giants, and Texans, he would have 6 come from behind wins this season alone.
Trevor's definitely special...and has never lost a Saturday night game!
Go Jaguars!
(01-14-2023, 10:03 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: [ -> ]Trevor's definitely special...and has never lost a Saturday night game!
Go Jaguars!

Coupled with those piercing blue eyes, maybe he’s actually this guy?

[Image: 706-Night-King-Frozen-Lake.jpg]
Just wow
Another chapter added to the legend of The Prince that was Promised.

That's 3 wins after 17 point deficits, and a playoff win after trailing by 27.

I am so proud!!!
(01-13-2023, 06:53 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Great QBs have many traits, objective and subjective, tangible and intangible, that make them great.    Championships won...number of wins...number of post season accolades.  One such trait is the ability to rally a team from behind to a late game victory.  Most of the all time great QBs have done this in their careers. 

Roger Staubach had the Hail Mary in the playoffs against Minnesota and the comeback against Washington that featured some two TDs in the last two minutes to win 35-34 (a game I saw). They have gone down in NFL lore as two of the more famous wins in NFL history.

Joe Montana's 2nd year featured a season ending rally from a 35-7 halftime deficit to beat the Saints.  The next year, his legend was made trailing 27-21 to Dallas in the NFC title game to throw the game winning TD to Dwight Clark (forever known as "the catch") with 68 seconds remaining to win 28-27 (a game that nauseates me to this day).  Of course Montana did it again in Super Bowl XXIII, driving the team 88 yards to hit WR John Taylor to beat the Bengals.

John Elway was always a high profile player dating back to before he was drafted.  He didn't want to be drafted by the Colts and threatened to play baseball for the Yankees.  However, his football legend was forged in Cleveland, where he led the Denver Broncos 98 yards for a TD late in the 4th quarter in freezing temperatures to beat the Cleveland Browns in the playoffs in what is known as "the Drive."

For all of Peyton Manning's greatness, he too, has his share of come from behind wins.  Perhaps his best was the MNF game against the Bucs, where he rallied the Colts from a 21 point deficit to beat the Bucs in the last 4 minutes of the game. 

Brady's greatness was already well established by the time they played Atlanta in the Super Bowl, but he added another important chapter when he rallied the Patriots from a 28-3 deficit to beat the Falcons in the Super Bowl.

While having this trait alone does not guarantee greatness for Trevor Lawrence, and I do not assert Trevor Lawrence is in their class in terms of career accomplishments, records set, or championships won, I submit he has demonstrated he shares with them the trait of being able to rally the team from large deficits to late game wins over the Raiders, Ravens and Cowboys.    While sadly he will never have the advantage of having his exploits memorialized on a John Facenda narrated highlight package like Staubach, Montana, Marrino, etc., if he continues to develop and he continues to get help, he will be a legend in his own right.

Showed a ton of character.
(01-15-2023, 12:49 AM)RicoTx Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-13-2023, 06:53 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Great QBs have many traits, objective and subjective, tangible and intangible, that make them great.    Championships won...number of wins...number of post season accolades.  One such trait is the ability to rally a team from behind to a late game victory.  Most of the all time great QBs have done this in their careers. 

Showed a ton of character.
To be clear, the whole team is showing that character, too.

That said, I don't want any more deficits this season, especially 4 TDs.
Even better, the post game interview the way Trevor talked about team and playing for each other. Amazing character.
https://youtu.be/TRt4hQs3nH0

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
(01-15-2023, 12:38 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Another chapter added to the legend of The Prince that was Promised.

I am so proud!!!

Remember when the popular knock early this season was "Trevor will never have a clutch GW drive?"
I think you're right. Trevor Lawrence has the "It" factor. Ironically I've always believed Bortles did as well, he never let pressure get to him and he always had a level head and demeanor while also was very sturdy, and available to play every game. He also couldn't throw the ball, unfortunately and made more plays with his legs than anything(look at his yards per rushing attempt, he was ranked only behind Michael Vick last I checked.)

Reason I bring up The Boat, is I think Lawrence similar in his demeanor, minus the drinking problem. But he has the mechanics to back it up. His throwing motion is clean and consistent, he's tall and lean/muscular, he's smart and he's marketable/attractive. The guy literally leaves no box unchecked and now after this game, coming out and playing like hot garbage. To come back and win the game and sing the praises of his teammates for never losing faith.. he's won this team, he's won this coach, he's won these fans.

Trevor Lawrence is our franchise guy. And we've got one of the best coaches in the league to lead him with a patient and motivated Owner writing the checks. It's surreal being in this position as a Jags fan. All we gotta do now is show up to those games, build an atmosphere at the bank and make other teams scared to come play here and let them handle the rest.
(01-16-2023, 12:37 PM)Inziladun Wrote: [ -> ]I think you're right. Trevor Lawrence has the "It" factor. Ironically I've always believed Bortles did as well, he never let pressure get to him and he always had a level head and demeanor while also was very sturdy, and available to play every game. He also couldn't throw the ball, unfortunately and made more plays with his legs than anything(look at his yards per rushing attempt, he was ranked only behind Michael Vick last I checked.)

Reason I bring up The Boat, is I think Lawrence similar in his demeanor, minus the drinking problem. But he has the mechanics to back it up. His throwing motion is clean and consistent, he's tall and lean/muscular, he's smart and he's marketable/attractive. The guy literally leaves no box unchecked and now after this game, coming out and playing like hot garbage. To come back and win the game and sing the praises of his teammates for never losing faith.. he's won this team, he's won this coach, he's won these fans.

Trevor Lawrence is our franchise guy. And we've got one of the best coaches in the league to lead him with a patient and motivated Owner writing the checks. It's surreal being in this position as a Jags fan. All we gotta do now is show up to those games, build an atmosphere at the bank and make other teams scared to come play here and let them handle the rest.

Bortles had this nervous twitch of touching his face and neck over and over during pressers which soured me on his internal confidence and leadership.  I think there’s a significant difference between he and Lawrence in that regard.
Point of correction. They weren't down by 17 vs. the Ravens. But they were down by a considerable amount to a strong defense and Trevor still brought them back to win.

(01-16-2023, 12:22 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-15-2023, 12:38 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Another chapter added to the legend of The Prince that was Promised.

I am so proud!!!

Remember when the popular knock early this season was "Trevor will never have a clutch GW drive?"

I remember when there was a theory that because he didn't utilize the TE much in college, he wouldn't use the TE much in the pros.
(01-16-2023, 12:55 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-16-2023, 12:37 PM)Inziladun Wrote: [ -> ]I think you're right. Trevor Lawrence has the "It" factor. Ironically I've always believed Bortles did as well, he never let pressure get to him and he always had a level head and demeanor while also was very sturdy, and available to play every game. He also couldn't throw the ball, unfortunately and made more plays with his legs than anything(look at his yards per rushing attempt, he was ranked only behind Michael Vick last I checked.)

Bortles had this nervous twitch of touching his face and neck over and over during pressers which soured me on his internal confidence and leadership.  I think there’s a significant difference between he and Lawrence in that regard.

It's called premature male pattern baldness vs the locks of a greek god. 

Bortles nervously touches his face, and Trevor makes a show of grooming his freshly showered mane. 

LOL
(01-16-2023, 12:55 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]

Bortles had this nervous twitch of touching his face and neck over and over during pressers which soured me on his internal confidence and leadership. I think there’s a significant difference between he and Lawrence in that regard.

You may be onto something there, I was mostly going off his actual play in the games. Say what you will about Bortles but he definitely didn't shy away from game itself when it came to that play off run in 2017. But all in all Trevor Lawrence is much better in all facets of the game in my opinion so its a moot point. Just trying to draw a distinction between having one aspect of what it takes but not the whole puzzle