Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Coaching Staff
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Doug Pederson is great, and deserves all the compliments, but we would be remiss not to recognize the rest of the coaching staff.  Every time I see Trevor come off the field, he sits on the bench with quarterback coach Mike McCoy looking at a Microsoft tablet, and talking.  During the Charger game, after Trevor threw all those interceptions, I saw Mike McCoy sitting with him talking in a very animated way.  Add in offensive coordinator Press Taylor and passing game coordinator Jim Bob Cooter, and that's a very strong set of coaches.  Not to mention all the other coaches on the team.  I think the whole staff deserves recognition because Doug cannot do it all by himself.
(01-16-2023, 10:53 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Doug Pederson is great, and deserves all the compliments, but we would be remiss not to recognize the rest of the coaching staff.  Every time I see Trevor come off the field, he sits on the bench with quarterback coach Mike McCoy looking at a Microsoft tablet, and talking.  During the Charger game, after Trevor threw all those interceptions, I saw Mike McCoy sitting with him talking in a very animated way.  Add in offensive coordinator Press Taylor and passing game coordinator Jim Bob Cooter, and that's a very strong set of coaches.  Not to mention all the other coaches on the team.  I think the whole staff deserves recognition because Doug cannot do it all by himself.

I've brought this up a few times. Good it has a thread.  The offensive hive here is kind of insane.

Doug Pederson has called it the greatest collection of offensive coaches he's ever been a part of. 
I'll try to find the quote - but he said this in two different pressers in the preseason. 

The playbook they built is the best this franchise has ever seen IMO.
Great point! This coaching staff is on fire and deserve a lot of credit.

You mentioned the offense. But the defense really should be praised as well. During the October Dibacle, I was suggesting they fire the DC, Caldwell. But man, I gotta say, our DC has done one helluva job adjusting to his personel and getting the most out of this squad. I was completely wrong about our DC. Dude has really proven he understands his system, but more importatntly, he understands how to get the best out of his players.

This team, man. I love this team so much! This is my favorite team since 2007.
Gotta ask tho, if Doug is calling the plays, what is Taylor's game time role?
Definitely deserves more appreciation. I also notice Mike McCoy with Trevor a lot during games.
(01-16-2023, 11:11 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]Gotta ask tho, if Doug is calling the plays, what is Taylor's game time role?

Assistant Play Caller, he's the set of eyes communicating what he sees from the box down to Doug.
(01-16-2023, 11:11 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]Gotta ask tho, if Doug is calling the plays, what is Taylor's game time role?

Probably technical stuff or assisting with getting personnel moving in and out accordingly. Would also think he's looking at or helping out with the next series script wise as Doug has to focus on the entirety of the game while special teams and defense are working.

(01-16-2023, 10:53 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Doug Pederson is great, and deserves all the compliments, but we would be remiss not to recognize the rest of the coaching staff.  Every time I see Trevor come off the field, he sits on the bench with quarterback coach Mike McCoy looking at a Microsoft tablet, and talking.  During the Charger game, after Trevor threw all those interceptions, I saw Mike McCoy sitting with him talking in a very animated way.  Add in offensive coordinator Press Taylor and passing game coordinator Jim Bob Cooter, and that's a very strong set of coaches.  Not to mention all the other coaches on the team.  I think the whole staff deserves recognition because Doug cannot do it all by himself.

McCoy is criminally underrated. Was a solid coaching for the Chargers during his tenure.

Yeah - they are calling plays based on defensives sets and adjustments. Someone has to relay that to Doug from up high on the fly.  
Who better then the guy that helped Doug build the playbook and knows what we have that is intended to counter certain defensive looks.
Thanks to all for the input on Taylor. Makes sense, and glad we have him.
The Around the NFL guys annoy me on many levels but they do have alternate views that make me think.

They commented that Pederson calling time out on the 4th and 1 was one of the best uses of a time out that shows how good he is with down, distance and situational awareness. If he had let the snap happen, probably would have been stuffed. The isolation play on Samuels was the right change.

We haven't had that so it is so refreshing and energizing to be on this side of it all.
(01-16-2023, 12:56 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]The Around the NFL guys annoy me on many levels but they do have alternate views that make me think.

They commented that Pederson calling time out on the 4th and 1 was one of the best uses of a time out that shows how good he is with down, distance and situational awareness. If he had let the snap happen, probably would have been stuffed. The isolation play on Samuels was the right change.

We haven't had that so it is so refreshing and energizing to be on this side of it all.

We are finally playing chess instead of checkers offensively.
Good point on chess match. The "loser" approach is to hold the timeout so you can stop the clock if you can't convert. The winning approach is setting your match ups and forcing the other team.

I was Luke warm on Pederson hire and staff. Sure is great to be wrong. This off season will really show the cards with Baalke as GM. I definitely got wrapped up in the San Fran experience.

Look at TC's super bowl wins and it shows these guys do take advantage of changes in scenery. Helps to be more open minded and let the play on the field show through instead of emotions.

I guess the past talking point coaches have me more jaded then I thought.