Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: This season feels so surreal!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Do not get me wrong, I love every second of it. People grow accustome to certain things as a Jaguar fan. Talking about the draft in October along with who we are picking in the top 10. It is unreal the Jaguars are still playing in late January and owning the AFC South Crown. I admit I grew jaded the last 15 years or so #becausejaguars. It has become clear the old jaguar losing culture is behind us. Its a new Dawn,its a new day, it's feeling good.

The Jaguars are one of the last 8 teams standing in the NFL. The media gives them no respect but it is OK. They just take it.
I originally thought 6 wins would be the “arrow pointing up”, and would move us out of the dumps and into the respectable category among NFL teams
(01-16-2023, 10:37 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: [ -> ]Do not get me wrong, I love every second of it. People grow accustome to certain things as a Jaguar fan. Talking about the draft in October along with who we are picking in the top 10. It is unreal the Jaguars are still playing in late October and owning the AFC South Crown. I admit I grew jaded the last 15 years or so #becausejaguars. It has become clear the old jaguar losing culture is behind us. Its a new Dawn,its a new day, it's feeling good.

The Jaguars are one of the last 8 teams standing in the NFL. The media gives them no respect but it is OK. They just take it.
I’ve actually seen a lot of respect shown to the Jags and more specifically Doug Pederson.
I remember in 2017 is when I really got into more jags as a hardcore fan. I found a daily radio station in jax to listen to, a few FB groups to join. Been part of the forums for like a long long time but had to create a new name when the board moved.

Having fun in Jan made it alot more fun. I wonder what 96-99 felt like as I was just a kid then.
(01-16-2023, 11:33 PM)icey14 Wrote: [ -> ]I remember in 2017 is when I really got into more jags as a hardcore fan.  I found a daily radio station in jax to listen to, a few FB groups to join.  Been part of the forums for like a long long time but had to create a new name when the board moved.

Having fun in Jan made it alot more fun. I wonder what 96-99 felt like as I was just a kid then.

96 through about 2001, the media and local fans fully expected to make a Super Bowl run every year. I was standing in line outside Gate 3 of the Atlanta game in 1996 and hundreds of fans were chanting Super Bowl. 

In 1999 the Jaguars were the Super Bowl favorites and everytime you turned on espn the Jaguars, Packers and the Rams were the talk of the league.

Jimmy Smith was one of the best WRs in the league and McCardell was one of the best combos in the league. Smith had the best 3 years of any WR during that time, from 1996-2001. Smith had a better season than McCardell in 1996, but McCardell made the Pro Bowl that year instead of Smith.

Boselli was one of the best lineman and the Jaguars had the biggest offensive line in NFL history during that era.

Taylor was one of the best RBs in the league. Brunell was a 3 time Pro Bowler and one of the best QBs and the best scramblers in the league. Tony Brackens wrecked shop and Aaron Beasley was one of the better CBs. Darius was one of the hardest hitters in the league. Coughlin was one of the best coaches in the league. Leon Searcy was a Pro Bowl RT. At one point we had the best LB unit in the league with Marts, Robinson, and Hardy. 

We seemed to play a lot of SNF and MNF games during that span. 

After we beat Dan Marino 62-7, everybody picked the Jaguars to go to the Super Bowl to face the greatest show on turf. All we had to do was root for Buffalo to beat Tennessee…but there were no flaagggsss on the fiellld and it was ruled a lateral after further review. 

The true Jaguar fans knew what time it was as soon as the referee ruled Frank Wychek’s pass a backward lateral. The rest is history.
(01-17-2023, 03:57 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-16-2023, 11:33 PM)icey14 Wrote: [ -> ]I remember in 2017 is when I really got into more jags as a hardcore fan.  I found a daily radio station in jax to listen to, a few FB groups to join.  Been part of the forums for like a long long time but had to create a new name when the board moved.

96 through about 2001, the media and local fans fully expected to make a Super Bowl run every year. I was standing in line outside Gate 3 of the Atlanta game in 1996 and hundreds of fans were chanting Super Bowl. 

In 1999 the Jaguars were the Super Bowl favorites and everytime you turned on espn the Jaguars, Packers and the Rams were the talk of the league.

Jimmy Smith was one of the best WRs in the league and McCardell was one of the best combos in the league. Smith had the best 3 years of any WR during that time, from 1996-2001. Smith had a better season than McCardell in 1996, but McCardell made the Pro Bowl that year instead of Smith.

Boselli was one of the best lineman and the Jaguars had the biggest offensive line in NFL history during that era.

Taylor was one of the best RBs in the league. Brunell was a 3 time Pro Bowler and one of the best QBs and the best scramblers in the league. Tony Brackens wrecked shop and Aaron Beasley was one of the better CBs. Darius was one of the hardest hitters in the league. Coughlin was one of the best coaches in the league. Leon Searcy was a Pro Bowl RT. At one point we had the best LB unit in the league with Marts, Robinson, and Hardy. 

After we beat Dan Marino 62-7, everybody picked the Jaguars to go to the Super Bowl to face the greatest show on turf. All we had to do was root for Buffalo to beat Tennessee…but there were no flaagggsss on the fiellld and it was ruled a lateral after further review. 

The true Jaguar fans knew what time it was as soon as the referee ruled Frank Wychek’s pass a backward lateral. The rest is history.
That 99 season was special. I really started watching every game in 2002 or 2003. As we didn't have a nfl package until I moved out on my own. 

But saw the playoff games VS Mia and the Tenn heartbreak.  After that we fell apart.  Now we look like we are starting something special
Jags are only flordia team to get past wild card round too this season.
(01-17-2023, 03:57 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]

The Music City Miracle...

I was a teen back then.  I was still living in the SouthWest back then and the game was on a Saturday afternoon, like 12 or 1 O'clock in the mountain time zone.  I always got my hair cut on Saturdays and after that, I had to get my oil changed.  So I was at this car shop waiting for my car to be serviced while a whole bunch of us dudes were standing in front of this really [BLEEP] 23 inch TV with terrible reception that was mounted to the wall/ceiling...  It was snowing outside and we all watch the lateral in disbelief. 

Such a silly memory.  A moment of time that had very little significance to me.  But one that became a famous moment in the lore of the NFL playoffs.   I remember one older dude yell out some profanities in shock that the refs let the play go, clearly a Bills fan.  I just shook my head, not really caring about either of these two boring teams.  As a dolphin fan, I was sick of the Bills.  So them losing was fine by me.

Little did i know the repercussions that would ring out for decades within the fan base that I would eventually become a part of...
(01-17-2023, 09:51 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: [ -> ]Jags are only flordia team to get past wild card round too this season.

[Image: Winners-of-The-2023-2.png]
(01-17-2023, 11:14 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-17-2023, 09:51 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: [ -> ]Jags are only flordia team to get past wild card round too this season.

V-I-C-T-O-R-Y

[Image: Winners-of-The-2023-2.png]

What’s been the most surreal to me is the last couple of games at the stadium. Late games on a Saturday night and walking out victorious while everyone is losing their mind. It’s, by far, my best and most memorable experience as a Jags fan.
one of my fav games of all-time was the 365 beating of the Colts. i remember it seemed like every touch of the Football it was either a TD from MJD or Freddy T. such amazing Run blocking that game.
(01-16-2023, 10:37 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: [ -> ]Do not get me wrong, I love every second of it. People grow accustome to certain things as a Jaguar fan. Talking about the draft in October along with who we are picking in the top 10. It is unreal the Jaguars are still playing in late January and owning the AFC South Crown. I admit I grew jaded the last 15 years or so #becausejaguars. It has become clear the old jaguar losing culture is behind us. Its a new Dawn,its a new day, it's feeling good.

I's surreal because it's so unexpected given how we started the season. I remember '96 was just like this in terms of how it felt. There were some differences but one of the things the two seasons had in common was a sense that it was the beginning of something long term. Unfortunately, the 96 team could only keep it together for about 4 years due to some salary cap mismanagement. I don't think that will be the case this time around (I hope not anyway) and we'll have a much larger window, as long as Lawrence and Pederson can stay together I believe.
(01-17-2023, 11:36 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-16-2023, 10:37 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: [ -> ]Do not get me wrong, I love every second of it. People grow accustome to certain things as a Jaguar fan. Talking about the draft in October along with who we are picking in the top 10. It is unreal the Jaguars are still playing in late January and owning the AFC South Crown. I admit I grew jaded the last 15 years or so #becausejaguars. It has become clear the old jaguar losing culture is behind us. Its a new Dawn,its a new day, it's feeling good.

I's surreal because it's so unexpected given how we started the season. I remember '96 was just like this in terms of how it felt. There were some differences but one of the things the two seasons had in common was a sense that it was the beginning of something long term. Unfortunately, the 96 team could only keep it together for about 4 years due to some salary cap mismanagement. I don't think that will be the case this time around (I hope not anyway) and we'll have a much larger window, as long as Lawrence and Pederson can stay together I believe.

The problem in 96' was the same problem in 2017: the team didn't have a franchise QB. Without a franchise QB your window closes very fast once the talent propping up the QB leaves.

This time we have a franchise QB making a rag-tag group of castoffs have career years, and that's why Jax will be a perennial playoffs fixture for the next 15 years.
we seem to have a guy who can elevate others. we had guys before that were good but not at that level. once we get a few years under the same system we will be really really good.
(01-17-2023, 01:32 PM)icey14 Wrote: [ -> ]we seem to have a guy who can elevate others. we had guys before that were good but not at that level.  once we get a few years under the same system we will be really really good.

I think also we have a coaching staff that can develop the younger players.  Maybe that's a bit speculative but I have that feeling.  So even though we are going to have a hard time this year with the salary cap, I have confidence that our younger players will get better.  And what you say about being in the system for more than one year is a very big part of that.
After reading these post I am assuming no one misses the bad old days?
There was this poster back when the forum was on jaguars.com, he was so funny.... I remember him writing about the Ponce De Leon Cup, I've never forgotten it since then.

It's great that the Cup has finally come back home, baby!!!
(01-18-2023, 09:47 AM)Jag149 Wrote: [ -> ]After reading these post I am assuming no one misses the bad old days?

I'm sure there are probably a couple out there who've gone silent and who are mad that we've won ourselves out of a top 5 pick.  Wink
(01-18-2023, 11:04 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-18-2023, 09:47 AM)Jag149 Wrote: [ -> ]After reading these post I am assuming no one misses the bad old days?

I'm sure there are probably a couple out there who've gone silent and who are mad that we've won ourselves out of a top 5 pick.  Wink

We really are messing up the draft.
(01-18-2023, 08:05 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-17-2023, 01:32 PM)icey14 Wrote: [ -> ]we seem to have a guy who can elevate others. we had guys before that were good but not at that level.  once we get a few years under the same system we will be really really good.

I think also we have a coaching staff that can develop the younger players.  Maybe that's a bit speculative but I have that feeling.  So even though we are going to have a hard time this year with the salary cap, I have confidence that our younger players will get better.  And what you say about being in the system for more than one year is a very big part of that.

Not to mention what the younger players are experiencing on the sideline. We saw it in the SOTG video this week. Regardless that we were down 27 points, the players were saying it wasn’t over yet and that they had each other’s back. What’s important is those weren’t empty words. They participated in the comeback, motivated by those words and attitude. Coaching can’t duplicate that.
Pages: 1 2