Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: No Way We Would Have Beaten Cincinatti
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The way our defense played so badly yesterday and really hurt our chances to win the game, there's no way we would have beaten Cincinatti in the AFC Championship Game. It would have been a result similar to the Detroit game. Joe would have carved our swiss cheese defense to shreds and we would have lost big. So, basically, it just delayed the inevitable.

I think we're really good at offense, just need a little more help on the O line, but we have got to get some help at linebacker, safety, corner back, and rusher. After Mahomes was hurt, we never went after him again. Do you think any of the other defensive coordinators would have done that? They would have made life difficult for him, but we just let him pick out which wide open receiver he wanted to throw it to.

Our defense came up big in some games, but it really let us down in big games, especially yesterday. I know our offense hurt us a little, the long pass that should have been caught and the fumble on the 3 yard line, which could have tied the game and took us to overtime, but it is the defense that needs the best help.

I'm so glad the NFL is not getting what they wanted, which was a game not at the home field of the higher seed. I also hope that Cincinatti beats Kansas City up, which I think they will because they have their number.
I disagree. I thought they had a better shot against cincy than KC
Agreed.

Burrow is a bad, bad man. He’s basically one year ahead of Trevor on the schedule. Roads in the afc will be going through cincy, KC, or buffalo and hopefully we can add the Jags soon
The fact is, this team overachieved this season. Made some damn great plays in the last minutes of a handful of games.

Now, just wait until we get better protection and weapons for Trevor.

That defensive scheming needs improvement as well.

The second Mahomes went out and Henne came in, the defense should have feasted, especially having the sheffs backed up in their own endzone.. There was zero rush..
Hoping Cincy kicks some Chef [BLEEP]
Scherff still doesn’t realize that DB blitzed on the Lawrence interception.
We would have beat em by 30
Eagles and Bengals may be a good SB
I really wished we beat the chiefs, but at the end of the day we didn’t. Have to take the positives and move on to next season. It was unlikely we would have been able to go on to win the Super Bowl either way. We need Trevor to keep maturing. Year 3 is likely his true breakout game.
The D played ok yesterday. just ok. The difference was their O-line gave Mahomes more time than ours gave Treavor. Treavor with as much time as Mahomes had would have cut their hearts out.
Who needs a top notch o line when you can throw the ball in 2.1 seconds to Chase Boyd or T Higgins or Hurst

GET PLAYMAKERS
Ridley incoming, but I would like to add a receiver and/or TE through the draft. However, seems like our draft position may be a better spot for a guard or TE than a top WR.
(01-22-2023, 07:44 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed.

Burrow is a bad, bad man. He’s basically one year ahead of Trevor on the schedule. Roads in the afc will be going through cincy, KC, or buffalo and hopefully we can add the Jags soon

This needs to be the long term focus. The Patriots used to dominate but you had good teams like the Steelers and Colts with Manning that struggled to get past the Patriots. We can't be happy long term just getting to Divisional round games, we need to be looking at how we can beat those teams and get higher seeds. It's a long term goal and not something that will just happen.

Looking cap wise at the Bills, Chiefs and Bengals. Bengals have $43.9m in cap to spend this offseason which is crazy impressive with a SB appearance last year and AFCCG this year but they are going to have to pay Burrows, Chase, Higgins etc so they'll have some tough decisions down the road.

Chiefs have $14m in cap this offseason but thats only for 35 players at the moment. Kelce is still playing great but he's 33 now. They need to find their next set of weapons but they have like 3 rookie starters in the secondary and we need to find players that can do that for us.

Bills could have a tough offseason. They are $8m over cap for next year with the increase and have no easy cuts to get under. This felt like there last season to be loaded and make a SB run. They are going to have to hit on a lot of decisions to stay that dominant.

I think the youth on our roster gives us plenty of long term players and we have contracts set up to keep or bring in new pieces over seasons to keep improving. Can only imagine what QB contracts will be at when we have to pay Lawrence but we will.
I wouldn't read too much into one game. We beat Baltimore. Baltimore should have won last week in Cincinnati and would have had Lamar been playing not that Huntley played poorly. I think we would have played Cincinnati just as tough and close as we've played everyone else this season. Probably should have beat them in Cincy last year with Meyer at the helm too.
Our lowley Urban Meyer led jaguar team last year, was up big on Cincy during a regular season primetime game, we let them come back and win.
That same lowley team beat the Bills 9-6

Burrow is a great QB, Mahomes is leagues better. We likely get beat worse if Mahomes wasn't high off a toridol shot at half time and a bum ankle.

We coulda beat any of those teams, but KC was the hardest option.

One year? He is light years ahead. I don't think TL has Joe B's ceiling and tbf possibly only Mahomes could say he's better than Burrow. Trevor will likely need a massive jump to be put on the level of Mahomes or Burrow in year 3. I could see him overtaking Allen if he can make the routine stuff look easy and the WRs cut down on drops a hair, Cincy had 24 and we had 29... Not much difference. Trevor still misses a lot of easy throws and left a good portion of points on the field when you zoom out over the entire season, time will tell if he makes the year 3 leap or not.

My way too early 2023 season rankings are:

Burrow/Mahomes
Allen
Hurts
Purdy
Lawrence
Jackson(if he legs hold up)
Herbert

If we want to be "super bowl or bust" we better find another pass rushing DL and a LB that can at least keep up with guys like Kelce so our genuis DC doesn't keep sending Walker and Allen to cover them for free 1st downs.
(01-22-2023, 06:41 PM)rhanna2 Wrote: [ -> ]The way our defense played so badly yesterday and really hurt our chances to win the game, there's no way we would have beaten Cincinatti in the AFC Championship Game. It would have been a result similar to the Detroit game. Joe would have carved our swiss cheese defense to shreds and we would have lost big. So, basically, it just delayed the inevitable.

I think we're really good at offense, just need a little more help on the O line, but we have got to get some help at linebacker, safety, corner back, and rusher. After Mahomes was hurt, we never went after him again. Do you think any of the other defensive coordinators would have done that? They would have made life difficult for him, but we just let him pick out which wide open receiver he wanted to throw it to.

Our defense came up big in some games, but it really let us down in big games, especially yesterday. I know our offense hurt us a little, the long pass that should have been caught and the fumble on the 3 yard line, which could have tied the game and took us to overtime, but it is the defense that needs the best help.

I'm so glad the NFL is not getting what they wanted, which was a game not at the home field of the higher seed. I also hope that Cincinatti beats Kansas City up, which I think they will because they have their number.

Wow, what a positive response to a great year.  It’s not happening, why bring it up?
(01-23-2023, 01:56 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: [ -> ]

One year? He is light years ahead. I don't think TL has Joe B's ceiling and tbf possibly only Mahomes could say he's better than Burrow. Trevor will likely need a massive jump to be put on the level of Mahomes or Burrow in year 3. I could see him overtaking Allen if he can make the routine stuff look easy and the WRs cut down on drops a hair, Cincy had 24 and we had 29... Not much difference. Trevor still misses a lot of easy throws and left a good portion of points on the field when you zoom out over the entire season, time will tell if he makes the year 3 leap or not.

My way too early 2023 season rankings are:

Burrow/Mahomes
Allen
Hurts
Purdy
Lawrence
Jackson(if he legs hold up)
Herbert

If we want to be "super bowl or bust" we better find another pass rushing DL and a LB that can at least keep up with guys like Kelce so our genuis DC doesn't keep sending Walker and Allen to cover them for free 1st downs.
Purdy ahead of Lawrence?  I mean Purdy has been impressive, but has nowhere near the physical abilities or total upside that Trevor has.  That’s a ridiculous prediction.  I know Purdy is a rookie and trevor is in his second year, but I would say Trevor’s first year under Urban shouldn’t be counted as a rookie year, I think it actually set trevor back.
(01-22-2023, 10:04 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Our lowley Urban Meyer led jaguar team last year, was up big on Cincy during a regular season primetime game, we let them come back and win.
That same lowley team beat the Bills 9-6

Burrow is a great QB, Mahomes is leagues better. We likely get beat worse if Mahomes wasn't high off a toridol shot at half time and a bum ankle.

We coulda beat any of those teams, but KC was the hardest option.

I agree. Kc was the hardest opponent. . I’m sticking with that assessment. There needs to be a little more fire power.added in the off season and keep the important players.
Why? All you need to do is win the turnover battle. Be +2 in turnovers, and you're a 80% chance of winning. +4 and your 99% chance of winning.
Pages: 1 2