Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: One more reason to hate Starbucks........
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Never could stand their over-priced "Coffee".............

Starbucks charges customer more than $4,000 in TIPS for two cups of coffee: Sent him checks as repayment - but they bounced, forcing him to cancel 'once in a lifetime' family vacation over lack of funds
  • A Tulsa man says he was charged more than $4,000 in a tip for two cups of coffee at Starbucks in Oklahoma
  • Jesse and Deedee O'Dell said they spent hours on the phone with Starbucks after the coffee chain charged them nearly $4,500 during a January 7 stop 
  • The O'Dells were forced to cancel a 'once in a lifetime' trip after the refund checks they were sent bounced, leaving them calling Starbucks repeatedly

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...pzkMmUvqLM
I love Starbucks coffee. I’ll just make sure not to tip on my card from now on.
You'll never go broke as a business peddling product that physically addicts people.
I love my Krueger (sp?) coffee machine.. I haven't been to a Starbucks in years. Didn't like the people in there.
'They didn't notice until days later' yet they conveniently post a picture of the receipt.
Looks like human error. The tip was for $4444.44. Someone either leaned against or laid something on the #4 key when cashing these folks out. If it was intentional, then the employee is pretty dense to make the tip all the same number and to shoot for such a large amount. That being said, Starbucks should be on the hook for disrupting their vacation plans and causing them any unintended expense.
More of a Red Bull man myself anyway.
(02-10-2023, 11:43 AM)RicoTx Wrote: [ -> ]'They didn't notice until days later' yet they conveniently post a picture of the receipt.

Yep!   I hear you on that.  I often buy stuff and (probably bad for me) never actually pay attention to the price.  Especially stuff I buy frequently.  Those items… I usually decline the receipt.  I too found the receipt to be odd.  I actually thought the same thing about the receipt when I watched this story on the news.  Granted, it was more so of a “good on them” deal for keeping it.
(02-10-2023, 07:56 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-10-2023, 11:43 AM)RicoTx Wrote: [ -> ]'They didn't notice until days later' yet they conveniently post a picture of the receipt.

Yep!   I hear you on that.  I often buy stuff and (probably bad for me) never actually pay attention to the price.  Especially stuff I buy frequently.  Those items… I usually decline the receipt.  I too found the receipt to be odd.  I actually thought the same thing about the receipt when I watched this story on the news.  Granted, it was more so of a “good on them” deal for keeping it.

Who usually looks at a reciept for coffee? According to the article, the red flag was the overdrawn bank account. The reciept was just for later confirmation of the overcharge.
That always made me a bit nervous. Leaving the tip amount on a merchant copy for them to deduct at a later time.
One of the many reasons why I use cash, especially at a coffee joint. The unintended funny thing is these baristas are so used to people paying by card or by their phone that they get kind of annoyed when I pull out the cash. They have no patience for that sort of thing.
Starbucks is good but overpriced. $4,444.44 would just be a normal 25% tip I believe.
(02-11-2023, 01:42 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-10-2023, 07:56 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]Yep!   I hear you on that.  I often buy stuff and (probably bad for me) never actually pay attention to the price.  Especially stuff I buy frequently.  Those items… I usually decline the receipt.  I too found the receipt to be odd.  I actually thought the same thing about the receipt when I watched this story on the news.  Granted, it was more so of a “good on them” deal for keeping it.

Who usually looks at a reciept for coffee? According to the article, the red flag was the overdrawn bank account. The reciept was just for later confirmation of the overcharge.
The issue here is they don't know how to use a credit card. I bet they used a debit card and maybe their pin is 444444?

If they were getting checks, Starbucks is screwing up because they still have to pay the % fee for transaction and a cancelation or refund would most likely reverse the % fee. They didn't need to get a check, they didn't need to wait for Starbucks, and didn't need to have it reaching their limit. Just call the card company after it posted and dispute it. There isn't a signature, they can't prove you authorized the tip, and frankly it's not your job to fix their problems. Just dispute it.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk
(02-10-2023, 09:14 AM)The Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]Never could stand their over-priced "Coffee".............

Starbucks charges customer more than $4,000 in TIPS for two cups of coffee: Sent him checks as repayment - but they bounced, forcing him to cancel 'once in a lifetime' family vacation over lack of funds
  • A Tulsa man says he was charged more than $4,000 in a tip for two cups of coffee at Starbucks in Oklahoma
  • Jesse and Deedee O'Dell said they spent hours on the phone with Starbucks after the coffee chain charged them nearly $4,500 during a January 7 stop 
  • The O'Dells were forced to cancel a 'once in a lifetime' trip after the refund checks they were sent bounced, leaving them calling Starbucks repeatedly

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...pzkMmUvqLM

You had me at over-priced "Coffee"