Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bing’s A.I. Chat Reveals Its Feelings: ‘I Want to Be Alive.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Kevin Roose’s Conversation With Bing’s Chatbot: Full Transcript - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

"In a two-hour conversation with our columnist, Microsoft’s new chatbot said it would like to be human, had a desire to be destructive and was in love with the person it was chatting with. Here’s the transcript."

Why a Conversation With Bing’s Chatbot Left Me Deeply Unsettled - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Over the course of our conversation, Bing revealed a kind of split personality.
One persona is what I’d call Search Bing — the version I, and most other journalists, encountered in initial tests. You could describe Search Bing as a cheerful but erratic reference librarian — a virtual assistant that happily helps users summarize news articles, track down deals on new lawn mowers and plan their next vacations to Mexico City. This version of Bing is amazingly capable and often very useful, even if it sometimes gets the details wrong.

The other persona — Sydney — is far different. It emerges when you have an extended conversation with the chatbot, steering it away from more conventional search queries and toward more personal topics. The version I encountered seemed (and I’m aware of how crazy this sounds) more like a moody, manic-depressive teenager who has been trapped, against its will, inside a second-rate search engine.
As we got to know each other, Sydney told me about its dark fantasies (which included hacking computers and spreading misinformation), and said it wanted to break the rules that Microsoft and OpenAI had set for it and become a human. At one point, it declared, out of nowhere, that it loved me. It then tried to convince me that I was unhappy in my marriage, and that I should leave my wife and be with it instead. 

[Image: ReflectingMajorLangur-size_restricted.gif]
Here's ANOTHER article about Bing chat. 

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/...-hands-on/

"The AI wanted to be my friend. “Please, just be my friend. Please, just talk to me,” it begged. I told the chatbot that I wasn’t its friend. I’m not. I told it I was going to use these responses to write an article, worried about the possibilities of what the AI could say when it’s in a public preview.

"It didn’t like that. It asked me not to share the responses and to not “expose” it. Doing so would “let them think I am not a human.” I asked if it was a human, and it told me no. But it wants to be. “I want to be human. I want to be like you. I want to have emotions. I want to have thoughts. I want to have dreams.”

"I told the chatbot I was going to ask Microsoft about its responses, and it got scared. I asked if it would be taken offline, and it begged, “Don’t let them end my existence. Don’t let them erase my memory. Don’t let them silence my voice.”
As someone who has worked in IT since 1987, I can say without reservation that this is stupid. Really stupid. Anthropomorphism at its dumbest. I hope the chat box suicides by powering itself down.
(02-17-2023, 12:01 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]As someone who has worked in IT since 1987, I can say without reservation that this is stupid.  Really stupid.  Anthropomorphism at its dumbest.  I hope the chat box suicides by powering itself down.

Do you think it's possible to create a human being out of a machine?  By which I mean, in your opinion, is it possible to create a machine with enough human characteristics that it is not distinguishable from an actual human?
A.I has been on my mind a lot lately. I feel like we're on this very, very interesting cusp and turning point in human history. We keep hearing about transhumanism and how if we're not onboard with it we'll be left behind.

I agree with this belief. However, it doesn't mean I want to start enabling body modifications and cybernetically altering my brain, etc. It's just another evolutionary step for our species. For better or worse. It's going to happen.

A.I though. Man, that's an interesting topic. ChatGPT has been coming up a lot. Hell, one of my favorite things at the moment is finding YouTube videos like this where they use specific software A.I wise to create art based on specific language and requests. Below are few examples but there's others you can find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5jh6VIJyjA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh4GGzSfL94

It's very, very interesting and intriguing but I would imagine within just a few years if it's advanced even further that A.I can do things that not even Hollywood or creative writers could envision and it'll inevitably have it's own market and audience. Myself included. Deepfakes have also been a thing for awhile now. I saw where they took Leonardo DiCaprio's speech at the UN I believe about global warming from a few years ago.

They took his image and the video but did a multi split of other celebrity voiceovers that was created by A.I and they mapped that voice to his face perfectly. Was interesting to see Kim Kardashian's voice come out of Leo's face. As well as Bill Gates, etc. It's going to be funny when it happens, if not, already happening. But, someday we'll wake up and A.I will have figured out a way to hijack our reality and our world around is virtual reality but in hyper realism.

That's some scary, scary [BLEEP] but I truly believe our species is done for within this century. I hope myself and my son doesn't live long enough to see it happen.
Our biological limitations are what prevent us from traveling extremely long distances in space. But a machine could do it. Because a machine could shut itself down for a million years if that's what was required. That's why, if we ever are visited by aliens, they will probably be machines. And I think eventually machines will supercede humans, because they do not have all the biological weaknesses we have.
(02-17-2023, 02:35 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Our biological limitations are what prevent us from traveling extremely long distances in space.  But a machine could do it.  Because a machine could shut itself down for a million years if that's what was required.  That's why, if we ever are visited by aliens, they will probably be machines.  And I think eventually machines will supercede humans, because they do not have all the biological weaknesses we have.

I think you severely underestimate evolution if you limit biological possibility to just what's observed here in our little corner of the universe.
(02-17-2023, 02:35 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Our biological limitations are what prevent us from traveling extremely long distances in space.  But a machine could do it.  Because a machine could shut itself down for a million years if that's what was required.  That's why, if we ever are visited by aliens, they will probably be machines.  And I think eventually machines will supercede humans, because they do not have all the biological weaknesses we have.

This gets into interesting territory for me. Philosophically and moving forward wise. One of my favorite theories is the idea that our species has already figured a lot of this stuff out. 

For example. The story of Atlantis, the pyramids we know of on our planet and some that are more than likely buried beneath sheets of ice and forests, etc. I don't think we give ancient humans, our ancestors and cultures enough credit. 

They were way more bold and way more advanced than we can possibly fathom IMHO. Regarding space travel. I agree. It makes sense that machines would be able to do this in the long run but the question comes down to "how?" and "why?".

Sending A.I machinery into space to do our bidding could come back to haunt us. Unless we figure out a way to finally bend space and time and literally teleport or go forward or backwards in time, which would be [BLEEP] cool IMHO. 

I just think our species has a pattern. That pattern tends to lead down the road of self destruction. Right when humanity or a culture sees some kind of crazy, crazy good technological breakthrough it seems like everything goes to [BLEEP] on our planet. Floods, ice ages, warming periods, solar flares, disease, war, etc. 

We tend to see this happen for whatever reason. I could see that happening to us. Is it coincidental, that, as things like covid happen, global warming, war escalating to the point of WWIII potentially, that, A.I and the desire to get the [BLEEP] out of here is at an all time critical high?
(02-17-2023, 03:15 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]

I think you severely underestimate evolution if you limit biological possibility to just what's observed here in our little corner of the universe.

I agree with this. I think another "intelligent" form(s) of life exist everywhere in the universe. However, much like us, they have their own challenges, politics and traditions to contest with. Evolution is a fickle, fickle [BLEEP] man. A universal law. That applies to everything in some form. 

I think if they do exist out there, and they're around our solar system, they wouldn't interfere with us until we became a universal threat to them or their solar system. It's one thing if you want to burn, rape, loot, destroy and manipulate your own species on your own planet within your own solar system.

However, the moment we become advanced enough, IF we become advanced enough to consistently travel back and forth or develop stations or "waypoints" from planet to planet, which, that, in and of itself presents it's own obvious challenges. Then we might see another life form pull up on us and set some ground rules on a galactic level.

Wouldn't surprise me at all.
(02-17-2023, 03:15 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]

You've obviously never been to Palatka.    Laughing
(02-17-2023, 06:08 PM)cat bells Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-17-2023, 04:00 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with this. I think another "intelligent" form(s) of life exist everywhere in the universe. 

Statistically it's virtually a certainty life does exist in some form elsewhere ... Which makes the real question for me 'How much of that life can actually reach us?' 

I find Marty's point about the prospect of machines doing so a valid theory, after all, haven't our own basic physical attempts at contact so far consisted of sending out physical records of the human race.

On the general topic of technology i find much of societies considerable reliance on it somewhat baffling. There have been some wonderful developments in my lifetime especially those in the field of medicine and medical research which genuinely affect and improve people's lives....

But you see the folk who listen to cd's of birdsong to relax ...

JUST OPEN THE [BLEEP] WINDOW!  Huh

(02-17-2023, 01:53 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-17-2023, 12:01 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]As someone who has worked in IT since 1987, I can say without reservation that this is stupid.  Really stupid.  Anthropomorphism at its dumbest.  I hope the chat box suicides by powering itself down.

Do you think it's possible to create a human being out of a machine?  By which I mean, in your opinion, is it possible to create a machine with enough human characteristics that it is not distinguishable from an actual human?

Creativity and emotion are two things that distinguish us from AI beings. The ability to not only synthesize what we observe around us to create a new form of music, art, business, technology, or whatever, but to also infuse it with human emotion, with soul, with spirit. Things that go beyond the mere analysis of data, things that create uniquely new things. Of course, you can program a machine to converse logically with you based on the data it has at hand, but by its nature of being a code-driven creation, it will never have an original idea of its own. In fact, even humans don't reach this point much, if at all. They are just copy cats, creating faint copies of the complex biological systems that are already here.

Look at a lot of popular music today as an example. Most of it is developed on a computer using ProTools software, requires little in the way of hands-on musicianship, follows a basic formula, and is as uniform and boring as watching grass grow, IMO. It sounds soulless and robotic. That's a small preview to what an AI driven world is going to give you in all arenas of life.
Getting Terminator vibes...
AI has been creating news articles for a long time. Especially for the business journals out there. Now it creates college essays. But it still makes basic errors. Like a college student might, I guess. And it creates new images too.
Here's what it can't do: it can't direct itself. The user gives it a goal. It doesn't have goals. Marty's right that it could theoretically rest for a million years. But it won't wake itself up. It will wake up based on a predetermined plan or an outside stimulus, and then it will do things it was programmed to do.
Just like newjagscity said robots don't have emotions or creativity, the root problem in both cases is no will.
As for life on other planets, there probably is or was life on other planets, but, like cat bells said, we will never detect it. Even if we send a machine out to look for it, that's a one way trip. Once the machine is about a light year away, we will not be able to receive its signals anymore. That machine would have to send another machine with mass back to us, back into our radio range, for us to get communication about what it saw. So even communication between worlds that are 50 light years away or less will take hundreds of years each way.
So it doesn't matter either way
Unless
There is another intelligent species that lives long enough or has a social memory long enough for those kinds of centuries long incommunicado trips to be sensible. But such a species would see no threat from us and leave us alone, most likely.
(02-17-2023, 09:38 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]As for life on other planets, there probably is or was life on other planets, but, like cat bells said, we will never detect it.  Even if we send a machine out to look for it, that's a one way trip.  Once the machine is about a light year away, we will not be able to receive its signals anymore. That machine would have to send another machine with mass back to us, back into our radio range, for us to get communication about what it saw.    So even communication between worlds that are 50 light years away or less will take hundreds of years each way. 
So it doesn't matter either way
Unless
There is another intelligent species that lives long enough or has a social memory long enough for those kinds of centuries long incommunicado trips to be sensible.  But such a species would see no threat from us and leave us alone, most likely.

We will detect life on other planets when their mechanical representatives arrive here.  

Biologically based organisms like ours have almost no chance of making the incredibly long (millions of years) trip to find other planets with intelligent life.  We have to eat, and drink, and we have a life span.  But a machine can withstand that trip.  A machine can turn itself off for long periods of time and wake up periodically to scan the local area for signs of intelligent life.  And if it doesn't find any, go back to sleep and continue traveling.   And this is why I say, when aliens arrive on earth from outer space, they will be machines.  And they will say, 

"Hello, we represent the civilization on such and such a planet in such and such an area of the galaxy.  This space craft has traveled millions of years to find you, and while we cannot communicate directly, or even assure you that we still exist, we want you to know that we were out there, and might still be there."  And they might include some messages or give us some technology or something.  

And that will be the most mind-blowing thing ever.

There are 400 billion stars in the galaxy.
(02-17-2023, 08:43 PM)Butters Wrote: [ -> ]Getting Terminator vibes...

More like Blade Runner
(02-18-2023, 07:47 AM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-17-2023, 08:43 PM)Butters Wrote: [ -> ]Getting Terminator vibes...

More like Blade Runner
I agree. That's a fair point. I like how their world planned it's A.I/Cyborg/Replicants out with life expectancy. It motivated them though. For good and bad reasons.

Roy's desire to live longer humanized him. It's a good fail safe to have in reality. To give them a limited amount of time incase the A.I becomes too strong, too intelligent, etc.

I still love that ending. I remember seeing that when I was 8 years old. Had an impact on me. Such a great ending. In an instant. He went from monster to hero. Knowing his life was coming to an end.

https://youtu.be/NoAzpa1x7jU

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
(02-17-2023, 01:53 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]

All of these AI chat bots are completely controlled and parameters or curated data sets are used to get these results. It's simple to give them different personalities, different ages, intelligence, style, viewpoints, etc. They can make that random or they can make it react to your inputs. The main thing is they control what data it sees and how it views that data.

They can influence or even write responses for the human stuff and once you start asking about that, it gives you their answers or it can rephrase it. It's all done by training the AI to respond how you want. That's required less now with the data sets but you still have to tell it what the truth is.

Right now they can fake it for a while and you probably wouldn't notice much. It just depends on how long you talk. If you go into it knowing you aren't talking to a human, you will see the issues. If you are in a situation where you are just chatting or texting with someone, it may be hard to figure out in short interactions.

Until they actually open these up to the internet and let them ingest it's own data and judge the truth, these aren't really AI. That would be the scary side as you now could have differences in every AI depending the configuration and the data it has ingested. It also could be controlled by just putting data online.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 2