Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Shad Khan Lands New Shipyard Redevelopment Deal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Iguana Investments Florida, Shad Khan's LLC that pitched the new Shipyards redevelopment plans has been selected to handle the project for the second time. 

Hopefully the second time is the charm.  They got this far the last time only to have negotiations stall because they couldn't come to terms with who was going to pay the cost of cleaning up the environmental hazards on the land.  The city has to button up those details and get City Council approval before they can put a shovel in the ground to start this project.

Yep, moving to London.

Well, if the city finds a way to screw up the negotiations....

Quote:Yep, moving to London.

Definitely. This is all one big smokescreen
I'm pretty sure Khans plan included leaving most of the really bad land untouched other than green space. If they don't dig that up the cost will be significantly less than the numbers mentioned before.

Quote:I'm pretty sure Khans plan included leaving most of the really bad land untouched other than green space. If they don't dig that up the cost will be significantly less than the numbers mentioned before.
There's still cleanup that's going to be required, and someone needs to pay for it.  The city benefits from getting this land on the books to generate tax revenue for the city.  The mixed use plan has always allowed for a ton of green space, but with housing, retail, hotels, and some sort of attractions to bring people down there.  It's amazing that this land has been sitting there vacant for literally decades.  This is prime real estate that SHOULD be developed.
There's a lot of vacant land downtown, this project needs to happen like 10 years ago.

Quote:Well, if the city finds a way to screw up the negotiations....

This is the key.  Somebody has to eat that cost.  Should it be a developer or the city?
Quote:There's still cleanup that's going to be required, and someone needs to pay for it.  The city benefits from getting this land on the books to generate tax revenue for the city.  The mixed use plan has always allowed for a ton of green space, but with housing, retail, hotels, and some sort of attractions to bring people down there.  It's amazing that this land has been sitting there vacant for literally decades.  This is prime real estate that SHOULD be developed.
Well it probably should have been the original owner, but as of now, it has to be developer. Pay to play. My dad does these type of environmental site inspections in Lake county. I take it the city controls the land right now? This is basically the hang up.

Back fines and inspections can be a pain tho, the city will probably need to make it easy for the developer if they want it done.
Quote:Definitely. This is all one big smokescreen

There's NOTHING about Shad Khan that's a Smoke Screen. Nothing.

NH3...
If the city of Jax wants half of the proposed revenue from the city owned to be developed land, then the city of Jax needs to pay the cost of cleaning up it's own mess. Asking a developer to do so while this has been an issue for decades is asinine.

Jacksonville, do your part and stay out of progresses way. I.E. Shad Khan.

NH3...
Quote:There's NOTHING about Shad Khan that's a Smoke Screen. Nothing.

NH3...
How anyone can think that is mind boggling. Khan is all business, and doesn't work that way.
Quote:If the city of Jax wants half of the proposed revenue f
rom the city owned to be developed land, then the city of Jax needs to pay the cost of cleaning up it's own mess. Asking a developer to do so while this has been an issue for decades is asinine.

Jacksonville, do your part and stay out of progresses way. I.E. Shad Khan.

NH3...
Hmm, interesting. That is a hang up.
When it comes to the shipyards, I will believe it when I see it. I have lived in Jacksonville for 36 years of my 38 years on Earth and downtown hasn't changed a lick during that time. I will not be convinced until the final coat of paint is put on.

I wish Mr. Khan luck in this venture, but you will still need more retail than the shipyards can offer to get people to schlep across the bridge to make downtown an everyday destination. 

Quote:When it comes to the shipyards, I will believe it when I see it. I have lived in Jacksonville for 36 years of my 38 years on Earth and downtown hasn't changed a lick during that time. I will not be convinced until the final coat of paint is put on.

I wish Mr. Khan luck in this venture, but you will still need more retail than the shipyards can offer to get people to schlep across the bridge to make downtown an everyday destination. 

We got a Hooters in that time.
Quote:When it comes to the shipyards, I will believe it when I see it. I have lived in Jacksonville for 36 years of my 38 years on Earth and downtown hasn't changed a lick during that time. I will not be convinced until the final coat of paint is put on.

I think there's a little more momentum behind this particular effort because of Shad Khan and Mark Lamping.  They see this as a huge potential money maker for the city, and for the Jaguars. 

I've lived in Jacksonville my entire life, and I have to disagree that downtown hasn't changed a lick.  It's just been painfully slow in making any sort of transition because of one particular entity that had a stranglehold over city politics and the downtown culture.  That influence has waned significantly over the years, and we've seen quite a bit of transition in the downtown area with more housing, restaurants, and businesses. 

The shipyard property between WJCT and Berkman Plaza is prime real estate that's just begging to be developed to turbocharge the downtown renaissance that has been promised ever since the Landing was built.  That entire corridor between the Landing and the stadium has major potential, and I think it's all starting to gain momentum.  That will only help this process.

Khan has already started the process with the renovations at the stadium including the new amphitheater and practice facilities.  That should create the impetus for more growth in the area because people are going to be at the venue for concerts and other events.  That's going to create an opportunity for a supporting infrastructure including restaurants and hotels along with other businesses catering to the people coming here.  With the Jags planning to have concerts for every home game weekend, that presents a golden opportunity to show what kind of potential exists in the area.  Hopefully that sparks a sense of urgency with the powers that be to get this thing moving.

Quote:I think there's a little more momentum behind this particular effort because of Shad Khan and Mark Lamping.  They see this as a huge potential money maker for the city, and for the Jaguars. 

I've lived in Jacksonville my entire life, and I have to disagree that downtown hasn't changed a lick.  It's just been painfully slow in making any sort of transition because of one particular entity that had a stranglehold over city politics and the downtown culture.  That influence has waned significantly over the years, and we've seen quite a bit of transition in the downtown area with more housing, restaurants, and businesses. 

The shipyard property between WJCT and Berkman Plaza is prime real estate that's just begging to be developed to turbocharge the downtown renaissance that has been promised ever since the Landing was built.  That entire corridor between the Landing and the stadium has major potential, and I think it's all starting to gain momentum.  That will only help this process.

Khan has already started the process with the renovations at the stadium including the new amphitheater and practice facilities.  That should create the impetus for more growth in the area because people are going to be at the venue for concerts and other events.  That's going to create an opportunity for a supporting infrastructure including restaurants and hotels along with other businesses catering to the people coming here.  With the Jags planning to have concerts for every home game weekend, that presents a golden opportunity to show what kind of potential exists in the area.  Hopefully that sparks a sense of urgency with the powers that be to get this thing moving.

I agree the shipyard is absolute prime real estate and the FBC has crippled the growth of downtown immensely over the years. I also have zero doubt that whatever Shad Khan does, it will be spectacular, but I think for the long term success of downtown, people need a reason to just go there on a random week night and not for an "event". 

IMO, they need more people who actually live there. I don't think the Springfield renaissance quite took off like everybody expected. I know they had some builders building some nice homes, but I'm not sure that ever really took off. 

I worked downtown for 15 years and couldn't wait to get the heck out of there every day. Addressing the parking and homeless situation would be a big first step in getting people to want to come back downtown. We shall see...
The success of the draft in Philly may be some leverage to get the shipyard project moving. Imagine how great of a draft Jax could hold with this project and the amphitheatre finished.
Quote:The success of the draft in Philly may be some leverage to get the shipyard project moving. Imagine how great of a draft Jax could hold with this project and the amphitheatre finished.

It would be nice, but are they going to build more hotels downtown or use cruise ships again? The people have to stay somewhere.
I finally took some time to read the histroy of the shipyards. I am shocked one of the previous seemingly 10 different developers wasn't required to clean it up. The city has only owned it since 2009, they should have done something before.

And I love how everyone has had basically the same idea for developing it since 1995. This is silly. Almost as silly as that hallow glass building next to Crane Roost park in Altamonte. That preacher could have paid off his debt 10x over if he just built it in the 90's when he first started.
Pages: 1 2