Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: CJ Beathard Extended
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Link: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-beathard/

2 year deal, money not announced yet.
Nice. One less position to worry about. Holding a clipboard and fetching Gatorade is vital in today's NFL.
Wonder how much negotiating power one has when you pass for a total of 68 yards in the past 2 years with 0 tds and 1 int ?    

I bet he was hoping we'd place the franchise tag on him Smile

Let's hope he doesn't see the field much this year either.
About the dumbest way the Jaguars could spend their cap room.

Even if it's league minimum with no bonuses (which it probably isn't) it's going to be more expensive than a guy with less accrued seasons would get.
(02-24-2023, 06:16 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]About the dumbest way the Jaguars could spend their cap room.

Even if it's league minimum with no bonuses (which it probably isn't) it's going to be more expensive than a guy with less accrued seasons would get.

BUT- he's been in the system for a year, so we don't have to totally train a new guy.  

I'm going to trust the front office with these decisions.  They did pretty well last year.
(02-24-2023, 03:36 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Wonder how much negotiating power one has when you pass for a total of 68 yards in the past 2 years with 0 tds and 1 int ?    

I bet he was hoping we'd place the franchise tag on him Smile

Let's hope he doesn't see the field much this year eather.

Double digit starts and 29 years old gives you more leverage than probably most back up QBs.
[Image: oh-come-on-seriously.gif]
Why did they sign Rourke then? I know I am biased but the kid showed out in the CFL and I was hoping he would beat out Beathard in training camp to earn that backup spot.
(02-24-2023, 06:56 PM)copycat Wrote: [ -> ]Why did they sign Rourke then?  I know I am biased but the kid showed out in the CFL and I was hoping he would beat out Beathard in training camp to earn that backup spot.

Who's to say he want beat him out?
He is only a placeholder until Rourke learns the system.
(02-24-2023, 06:56 PM)Butters Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-24-2023, 06:56 PM)copycat Wrote: [ -> ]Why did they sign Rourke then?  I know I am biased but the kid showed out in the CFL and I was hoping he would beat out Beathard in training camp to earn that backup spot.

Who's to say he want beat him out?

It’s an odd time to extend the backup when you brought in competition for that spot.  Regardless of how it shakes out, I hope we only see the backup when the score is out of hand in favor of the Jags.
(02-24-2023, 07:15 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Beathard gonna change his number? 

https://twitter.com/CalvinRidley1/status...22979?s=20

Give that man his number!
(02-24-2023, 06:31 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-24-2023, 06:16 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]About the dumbest way the Jaguars could spend their cap room.

BUT- he's been in the system for a year, so we don't have to totally train a new guy.  

I'm going to trust the front office with these decisions.  They did pretty well last year.

Which games would the Jags have won last year with Beathard if Trevor had been unable to start a game?

Maybe the jets or second texans game. Those games the Jags may have been able to win with any guy that can manage to throw a pass. Other than those I can't think of any that Beathard could have won.

If I'm right about the above then the team shouldn't spend any amount of money on trying to maximize what would happen if Trevor gets hurt, and instead spend every cent they can on making sure he doesn't.
Some of you guys need to learn that an NFL contract does not mean a player is locked on the 53 man roster. If he gets outplayed in training camp and preseason then his contract protects him financially but does not protect him physically.
(02-24-2023, 07:00 PM)copycat Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-24-2023, 06:56 PM)Butters Wrote: [ -> ]Who's to say he want beat him out?

It’s an odd time to extend the backup when you brought in competition for that spot.  Regardless of how it shakes out, I hope we only see the backup when the score is out of hand in favor of the Jags.

There's nothing odd.  Beathard was a free agent.  If we don't extend him, we lose him.  He's insurance against Rourke not working out or needing time to develop.  Beathard has the advantage over some other free agent qb in that he has a year of experience in the system.  The Jags can devote more practice snaps and preseason game time to Rourke to see if he can develop.  If Rourke looks good, the team can cut Beathard.  If Rourke looks terrible, at least we have a guy that knows the system.
There is value of having quality people & quality depth in the locker room. Let the guys do their job. If Trevor wants him back and it makes sense then end of story for me.
(02-24-2023, 09:30 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-24-2023, 07:00 PM)copycat Wrote: [ -> ]It’s an odd time to extend the backup when you brought in competition for that spot.  Regardless of how it shakes out, I hope we only see the backup when the score is out of hand in favor of the Jags.

There's nothing odd.  Beathard was a free agent.  If we don't extend him, we lose him.  He's insurance against Rourke not working out or needing time to develop.  Beathard has the advantage over some other free agent qb in that he has a year of experience in the system.  The Jags can devote more practice snaps and preseason game time to Rourke to see if he can develop.  If Rourke looks good, the team can cut Beathard.  If Rourke looks terrible, at least we have a guy that knows the system.

I’m thinking of the financial side.  We are already over the cap and every dollar counts
(02-24-2023, 09:59 PM)copycat Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-24-2023, 09:30 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: [ -> ]There's nothing odd.  Beathard was a free agent.  If we don't extend him, we lose him.  He's insurance against Rourke not working out or needing time to develop.  Beathard has the advantage over some other free agent qb in that he has a year of experience in the system.  The Jags can devote more practice snaps and preseason game time to Rourke to see if he can develop.  If Rourke looks good, the team can cut Beathard.  If Rourke looks terrible, at least we have a guy that knows the system.

I’m thinking of the financial side.  We are already over the cap and every dollar counts

Terms weren't disclosed but I'm guessing he signed with minimal guaranteed money.
I think we resigned him because he is the best ping pong player in the locker room.
Pages: 1 2 3