Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Pederson & Baalke Presser at Combine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Guys at that level are well-schooled at using a lot of words to say very little.

...which is fine with me.
That's funny... I used to hate it when coaches did that. I thought Urban Meyer was a breath of fresh air, right up until I realized it hurt us in virtually every way. Give me the cryptic buzzwords all day.
A few takeaways to lay out. I'll start with Baalke:

• Moving on from a free agency reliance, and it is time to draft and develop
  • focus on sustaining the "bought in" nature of the locker room / culture established
  • Wants to bring back Jawaan if possible
  • Confirms Engram is a tag possibility
  • RRH deal did clear some cap space

Pederson:
  • New WR coach was once coached by Pederson - Doug really wanted him in Jax
  • Team's expectations have changed - winning the division an expectation now - different from last year
  • waiting for league to clear Ridley 
  • Trevor's next step is to build on the good things from last year and take on more leadership
  • "the draft is a funny thing" 
  • sometimes in bottom third of draft order - you sit and wait to see what opportunities unfold
  • On ETN:  Loved his toughness. Expect to see him play better in year two after he evaluates his own play and knows the system/playbook better
  • RBs: Are you looking to add more RBs?  "Yes... We haven't seen enough of Snoop Conner yet, but you need 4 guys that can come in and produce... I like RBs to play ST as well." 
Nice takeaways there, thanks. I also liked the part where Baalkie spoke about the difference between picking #1 and #24. That section show just a bit of insight into his style. (without giving away much of course)
(02-28-2023, 06:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]A few takeaways to lay out. I'll start with Baalke:

• focus on sustaining the "bought in" nature of the locker room / culture established
  • Wants to bring back Jawaan if possible
  • Confirms Engram is a tag possibility
  • RRH deal did clear some cap space

Pederson:
  • New WR coach was once coached by Pederson - Doug really wanted him in Jax
  • Team's expectations have changed - winning the division an expectation now - different from last year
  • waiting for league to clear Ridley 
  • Trevor's next step is to build on the good things from last year and take on more leadership
  • "the draft is a funny thing" 
  • sometimes in bottom third of draft order - you sit and wait to see what opportunities unfold
  • On ETN:  Loved his toughness. Expect to see him play better in year two after he evaluates his own play and knows the system/playbook better
  • RBs: Are you looking to add more RBs?  "Yes... We haven't seen enough of Snoop Conner yet, but you need 4 guys that can come in and produce... I like RBs to play ST as well." 

ETN is awesome but I do hope we can find a nice compliment for him, personally don't have much faith in Snoop but who knows.
Connor needs to win the short yardage job, we don't need ETN taking those shots in the hole.
https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/2023...s-comments

Some people who want the Jags to make a splashy FA signing or a flashy trade may need to temper expectations. Looks like the Jags want to resign their own rather than spend in FA.
(03-01-2023, 10:52 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/2023...s-comments

Some people who want the Jags to make a splashy FA signing or a flashy trade may need to temper expectations. Looks like the Jags want to resign their own rather than spend in FA.

I don't want anything splashy, but I do hope we upgrade our O-line and get some help to cover a Tight End in FA.
(03-01-2023, 10:49 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Connor needs to win the short yardage job, we don't need ETN taking those shots in the hole.

....are we not doing phrasing today?
Baalke confirmed Engram will be with the Jaguars next season.
(03-01-2023, 10:49 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Connor needs to win the short yardage job, we don't need ETN taking those shots in the hole.

Agreed. Not sure what the delay or holdup was with him. Felt like he was sporadically used last year. Which is interesting considering that Baalke liked him enough to move up. 

I hope they consider drafting another RB in April starting in RD4 if they don't plan on moving up just to play it safe. You would have Etienne, Hasty, Connor and hopefully a rookie in the mix.

I think there's some good ones to be had on day three for sure. Tank Bigsby, Eric Gray & Deuce Vaughn would be pretty decent additions. Especially if they're looking to have guys that can play on special teams in a pinch. Especially Vaughn. He has a Jamaal Agnew look to him.
(03-01-2023, 10:52 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/2023...s-comments

Agreed. It’s more important to sign our own guys.
Baalke basically said "Eat a dick, I was right, most of you were wrong" and Pederson was like "I just work here guys, where's the ice cream?".
(03-02-2023, 01:14 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Baalke basically said "Eat a dick, I was right, most of you were wrong" and Pederson was like "I just work here guys, where's the ice cream?".

My gosh this is way different off season from 2017.  What I like about this CM/HC team is the way they play the game.  These guys are very opportunistic and so far have a good eye for value.  It would not surprise me if during free agency or the draft they shocked people and struck a deal. (not a big cash deal) Something that had the other teams crying about it like last year when they were blamed for spoiling the receiver market.
(03-02-2023, 02:23 PM)Jag149 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-02-2023, 01:14 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Baalke basically said "Eat a dick, I was right, most of you were wrong" and Pederson was like "I just work here guys, where's the ice cream?".

My gosh this is way different off season from 2017.  What I like about this CM/HC team is the way they play the game.  These guys are very opportunistic and so far have a good eye for value.  It would not surprise me if during free agency or the draft they shocked people and struck a deal. (not a big cash deal) Something that had the other teams crying about it like last year when they were blamed for spoiling the receiver market.

Anything is possible. Jacksonville is now a hot commodity and as long as Pederson and Lawrence are upright and working together the sky's the limit. 

If they don't resign Taylor at RT. I could see them pocketing that money and signing a pair of really good veterans for a one year deal on defense.

I wouldn't rule out players like Justin Houston, Chandler Jones, Brandon Graham and Patrick Peterson. 

We shouldn't have to break the bank to bring in any number of those two guys above for just 2023.
(03-02-2023, 02:32 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-02-2023, 02:23 PM)Jag149 Wrote: [ -> ]My gosh this is way different off season from 2017.  What I like about this CM/HC team is the way they play the game.  These guys are very opportunistic and so far have a good eye for value.  It would not surprise me if during free agency or the draft they shocked people and struck a deal. (not a big cash deal) Something that had the other teams crying about it like last year when they were blamed for spoiling the receiver market.

Anything is possible. Jacksonville is now a hot commodity and as long as Pederson and Lawrence are upright and working together the sky's the limit. 

If they don't resign Taylor at RT. I could see them pocketing that money and signing a pair of really good veterans for a one year deal on defense.

I wouldn't rule out players like Justin Houston, Chandler Jones, Brandon Graham and Patrick Peterson. 

We shouldn't have to break the bank to bring in any number of those two guys above for just 2023.

Maybe the pass rushers to get more depth there, but purely in a limited rotational role. Should not bring any of them in expecting them to play more than half of the snaps.

I would stay away from Patrick Peterson. He can not really play man effectively anymore, and having to limit your defensive coverages due to personnel just leads to issues in a year long season.
Has there been any news on when this years State of the Franchise will happen?
(02-28-2023, 06:19 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]That's funny... I used to hate it when coaches did that. I thought Urban Meyer was a breath of fresh air, right up until I realized it hurt us in virtually every way. Give me the cryptic buzzwords all day.

I'm not sure what's worse, calling players by the wrong name or just referencing their numbers since he didn't know their names.   Oh wait, I think I like when he stated they are playing Cisco a little more and more each game when asked why Cisco isn't getting playing time.  As it turns out, Cisco didn't play a single snap in the game they were talking about.

(02-28-2023, 06:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]A few takeaways to lay out. I'll start with Baalke:

Dang !!!    I guess that takes us out of the Derek Carr Sweapstakes.
(03-02-2023, 04:38 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: [ -> ]Has there been any news on when this years State of the Franchise will happen?

It is usually in early July