Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Travon = Chris Jones
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
These guys are roughly the same body type. Chris Jones is 6'6, 310; Travon Walker is 6'5, 290. 

Jones started life on the inside, where he was a menace. The Chiefs decided to play him outside for a season since they lacked an outside rush. He wasn't quite as disruptive there, so they permanently moved him back inside, where he became a nightmare once again. 

Travon started life on the outside, where he was just a guy. The Jaguars decided to play him inside, where he became more disruptive. 

Here's hoping he becomes Chris Jones 2.0. 

Why not?
Is he moving inside full time? Did I miss something.
(03-20-2023, 05:59 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: [ -> ]These guys are roughly the same body type. Chris Jones is 6'6, 310; Travon Walker is 6'5, 290. 

Jones started life on the inside, where he was a menace. The Chiefs decided to play him outside for a season since they lacked an outside rush. He wasn't quite as disruptive there, so they permanently moved him back inside, where he became a nightmare once again. 

Travon started life on the outside, where he was just a guy  rookie. 
The Jaguars decided to play him inside, where he became more disruptive. 

Here's hoping he becomes Chris Jones 2.0. 

Why not?

fixed ^

Too soon to know what Walker's ceiling is playing OLB in a 3-4.

Nonetheless - as things stand he looks he'd be better as a 4-3 DE - and he could very well develop as a very good 3-4 DE/5-tech. 

If Walker has the ability to get 30-45 pressures and 8-15 sacks playing primarily inside, that would be awesome. 
Given the current state of the IDL roster, it sure looks like they will have room for him in the rotation there in 2023. 

I don't feel they lost anything by giving him a year top get acquainted with playing outside in the NFL. 
If he ends up having the versatility they were hoping for when they drafted him, it's a huge boon for the defense. 
Calculated risk IMO.
(03-20-2023, 05:59 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: [ -> ]These guys are roughly the same body type. Chris Jones is 6'6, 310; Travon Walker is 6'5, 290. 

Is Travon @ 290 ?   He seems a lot thinner to me than Chris Jones.
Blasphemy....

Travon doesn't dream about that kind of hand movement.

Granted, he should be his archetype. When we drafted him, that's what we evsioned, but he doesn't have the technical skill
Where did he become more disruptive from the inside? Is this a post where you’re hoping this happens?

Sorry man I’ve been on night shift for 3 months so this one might have went over my head.
(03-20-2023, 07:50 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Where did he become more disruptive from the inside? Is this a post where you’re hoping this happens?

Sorry man I’ve been on night shift for 3 months so this one might have went over my head.

A very large percentage of the fanbase seems convinced that the Jags were too ambitious in believing he could be an edge player in the NFL and they should have played him at 3-4DE.

This large swath of the fanbase believe that is his "natural position" and he will be more effective there.

They may be right. I don't know.
I'm trying to wait it out and see how he develops. I feel like he has the ability to learn some hand technique that will aid him in breaking free from his very stout bull rush, shedding blocks, and reaching the QB quicker. Whether or not he does that by the end of July may play a role into how much time he plays outside in 2023 - assuming they have another body to put there worthy of significant snaps.
Walker isn't 290
(03-20-2023, 08:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Walker isn't 290

272 is the number on most sites. 

Conversely - Jones is listed at 291, not 310.
(03-20-2023, 08:48 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2023, 08:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Walker isn't 290

272 is the number on most sites. 

He was 310 at the combine and 310 on the Chiefs website.  If he has lost some weight I doubt it was much.  He looks a good bit bigger than Walker imo

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/chris-jone...da02ce049b

I don't get the move Walker inside crowd.  In certain situations sure but he's too small to play DT imo
Walker is just raw. They doubled down on this by playing him outside instead of inside.

Not sure about the Chris Jones comparison but he has natural strength that cannot be underestimated nor overlooked by opponents.

If he learns how to chain his bullrush with a spin move or hand slap he can be a lot more effective from the outside.

I expect him to be moved around more in 2023 though. Caldwell needs to evaluate his opponents carefully and create the mismatch opportunties for Walker to thrive.

One week he might be better suited playing inside. The next he might be better suited playing outside.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
I don't want him inside, I want him to be a 43 right end. He's got the material to be Simeon Rice down there.
(03-20-2023, 08:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2023, 08:48 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]272 is the number on most sites. 

He was 310 at the combine and 310 on the Chiefs website.  If he has lost some weight I doubt it was much.  He looks a good bit bigger than Walker imo

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/chris-jone...da02ce049b

I don't get the move Walker inside crowd.  In certain situations sure but he's too small to play DT imo

word
my bad
I’m down for switching to a 4-3 base.
Walker playing DE with some versatility along the line I’d be ok with. Lloyd playing weakside by no means would bother me.
(03-21-2023, 12:16 AM)wg171 Wrote: [ -> ]I’m down for switching to a 4-3 base.
Walker playing DE with some versatility along the line I’d be ok with. Lloyd playing weakside by no means would bother me.

Is that a good fit for Josh Allen? I like Walker on the inside in a 3-4 with a nose tackle next to him.
(03-21-2023, 04:16 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: [ -> ]

Is that a good fit for Josh Allen? I like Walker on the inside in a 3-4 with a nose tackle next to him.

Good question about Allen. I think you almost have to play Walker and Lloyd where they are the most comfortable as this year is critical for their development. Walker looks much better with his hand in the dirt and Lloyd looked lost on the inside.

Walker Little is another example. If he looks really good at LT but only fair at best at RT where does he play?
(03-20-2023, 10:39 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]I don't want him inside, I want him to be a 43 right end. He's got the material to be Simeon Rice down there.

This. I've thought this was the best strategy since he was drafted. This team's Tony Brackens but bigger and stronger.
(03-21-2023, 04:16 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: [ -> ]

He got 10 sacks there as a rookie
Either use him in a 4-3 end or use him like the 49ers and Seahawks used Julian Peterson. If used like Pederson he might not be that double digit a year sack guy but he can still be a beast and game wrecker
(03-21-2023, 05:56 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2023, 10:39 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]I don't want him inside, I want him to be a 43 right end. He's got the material to be Simeon Rice down there.

This. I've thought this was the best strategy since he was drafted. This team's Tony Brackens but bigger and stronger.

It's weird how the game has changed. Teams searched forever to find an RDE. It was the 2nd or 3rd most important piece after QB along with LT and CB1. Now we spend the #1 on a guy built to play it and we're screwing around tryin to make him play standing up. If it's so important to have a role for Allen just move to a 52 and let him play standing up on the line. We shouldnt inhibit Walker because we can't flex the scheme.
Pages: 1 2