Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Pederson Presser @ League Meetings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am so happy that guy is OUR guy.
He's very good at using a lot of words to say very little, which is a valuable skill to have.
(03-27-2023, 04:55 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]He's very good at using a lot of words to say very little, which is a valuable skill to have.

We see that applied quite a bit around here.
(03-27-2023, 04:55 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]He's very good at using a lot of words to say very little, which is a valuable skill to have.

Yes, useful in politics too. He could have just said, "we didn't have the cap room to sign anyone this year" or "we've got to nail all our picks this year because help is not on the way" and left it at that. But he applied some happy spin and rambled about a shared philosophy of building through the draft, which is pure coach/GM speak. No team can be built entirely through the draft because it's such a crapshoot. Even the best GMs at identifying talent have 1st round busts and down years, leaving their rosters with gaping holes.

(03-27-2023, 05:16 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]https://twitter.com/Demetrius82/status/1...73985?s=20

So that means they're picking someone like Nolan Smith. I'm leaning toward that being the better move. Can stock up on the offensive line in rounds 2-5. Apparently it's a deep draft for O-line.
I love this dude.
Good stuff.
(03-27-2023, 05:41 PM)Butters Wrote: [ -> ]I love this dude.

HCs have to wear a lot of hats to be successful. Doug wears them all well, especially the manager hat. He’s always looking ahead and always sees the big picture. 

He also knows his players well; they’re personal motivators and how they interact with the team. He’s a front office guy and a player’s coach at the same time but allows them to complement each other instead of creating conflict. Doug is effusive with praise and respect for everyone and receives it himself in return.
(03-28-2023, 09:06 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]

HCs have to wear a lot of hats to be successful. Doug wears them all well, especially the manager hat. He’s always looking ahead and always sees the big picture. 

He also knows his players well; they’re personal motivators and how they interact with the team. He’s a front office guy and a player’s coach at the same time but allows them to complement each other instead of creating conflict. Doug is effusive with praise and respect for everyone and receives it himself in return.

Well said sir
(03-28-2023, 09:06 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes, that is all very true.  

He also seems to have an offensive system that works.  I don't know how many times I saw them march up and down the field and thought to myself, damn, this offensive system actually works, unlike the past decade or so of sputtering offensive failure.  Late in the season, I started seeing 2nd and 20 as not a problem.  

And also, to me, he is delightfully boring.  No headlines, no controversy, no Tim Tebow, no kicking the kicker, no sideline argument with a player.
(03-27-2023, 05:26 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes, useful in politics too. He could have just said, "we didn't have the cap room to sign anyone this year" or "we've got to nail all our picks this year because help is not on the way" and left it at that. But he applied some happy spin and rambled about a shared philosophy of building through the draft, which is pure coach/GM speak. No team can be built entirely through the draft because it's such a crapshoot. Even the best GMs at identifying talent have 1st round busts and down years, leaving their rosters with gaping holes.

(03-27-2023, 05:16 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]https://twitter.com/Demetrius82/status/1...73985?s=20

So that means they're picking someone like Nolan Smith. I'm leaning toward that being the better move. Can stock up on the offensive line in rounds 2-5. Apparently it's a deep draft for O-line.

I'm not interpreting that particular Q&A to mean they'll address pass rush with their first pick. 
Maybe.
Maybe they sign another vet. At the time of the response they were still trying to land Calais. 
Maybe a player falls to them at 24 they can't pass on for the best available pass rusher.
Maybe they are looking for an interior pass rusher.

Lots of possibilities.