Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NICKEL 2023
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Discuss the nickel back position and its future in Duval County, FL. 

How do we address it?

How do you value it against other needs? 

Is it changing league wide? 
The same way RT has gained ground vs LT in value, is the nickel gaining ground vs the outside corner? More and more teams play more than 60% of snaps in nickel formation (70% for Jags last year)
More and more offenses are putting top receivers in the slot against these nickel backs. 
Is it worth an early pick?
I voted to take one in Round 2. However, if Joey Porter falls to the Jaguars I'd take him over anyone else who might be available. Clark Phillips has a good chance of being there in round 2 and he'd likely be my pick. While he may have some limitations playing on the outside due to his height and arm size, he'd be a great nickel. I value the nickel position higher than some, because good quarterbacks will target a weak nickel like Herndon whenever they can. Since they play 60-70% of the time, it is critical to have a good one. Phillips is also capable of playing on the outside if the need occurs. Other good options in round 2 would be Julius Brents, Quan Martin
and Emmanuel Forbes. The only player I'd possibly consider ahead of these nickels/corners would be Cody Mauch. I love his toughness and ability to play any position on the offensive line. If Torrence or Wright is not the pick in round 1, it would be hard to pass on Mauch. Ideally, I'd take a pass rusher in round 1 (Nolan Smith or Murphy), Mauch in round 2 and trade back up to take Phillips at the top of round 3.
Due to the many other positions of need, I voted to take an nickel back within the late rounds and have him compete w/the vets. Now if it stated an starting CB then my opinion would definately differ.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
Nickel Corner ... gotta be Scott Starks!!! oh wait ... I mean Aaron Colvin!! oh it's 2023 gotcha.

Of the options on the roster I'd like to see Montaric Brown or Greg Junior step up and compete for that role going into their 2nd year; both have some great traits athletically and couldve been taken a few rounds higher.

I'd also like to see some hybrid looks or a 3 safety approach kind of like a 3-3-5 or 3-5-3 with safeties being able to interchange roles to kick out and cover the slot or a tight end, but also be a pseudo linebacker and help stack the box if it's a tight grouped offensive formation.
Well, what we have on the roster currently reminds me of throwing a bunch of crap against the wall and hoping something sticks. Hopefully one or two of these guys stick, but we probably need to draft someone pretty high regardless.
I voted first round because I feel it is that important. 1st or second would be ideal, but no later than 3rd.
I'm all for investing a 1st round pick in a DB if he can be great at nickel but also be on the field every down. But then your 2nd round pick basically has to be OL.
(04-07-2023, 08:58 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Discuss the nickel back position and its future in Duval County, FL. 

How do we address it?

The same way RT has gained ground vs LT in value, is the nickel gaining ground vs the outside corner? More and more teams play more than 60% of snaps in nickel formation (70% for Jags last year)
More and more offenses are putting top receivers in the slot against these nickel backs. 

FWIW - and since it has been discussed in the offseason roster move thread - 
 I voted for a 3rd round nickel selection in this poll when I posted it several days ago.

Here's hoping there is good value there when our pick comes around. 
First round feels early to me, but at 24 I could be swayed, I guess. 
2nd round used to seem early for a slot defender, but I think those times, they are a changin'.

3rd round still feels like the wheel house spot for a nickel selection.
We have a few holes in our line up. Then we have areas that need improvement. Assuming our second year players improve over their first year performances, the OL, IDL and backup TE are holes. I have nickel back (not the musical group) as an area that needs to be improved. Compound that we are drafting at 24 (really 23) no matter who we draft will not start and most likely need a year to develop. I consider this a 4th round or later position. We should have a better idea of what we can do and what we can draft in the first round around pick 15 to 18... so this is what it feels like drafting this late ?? amazing
Don’t we already have a few late round CBs we have been developing as well? Thinking we should still draft someone, but there is enough for a competition.
(04-09-2023, 10:22 PM)Newton Wrote: [ -> ]Don’t we already have a few late round CBs we have been developing as well? Thinking we should still draft someone, but there is enough for a competition.

Yes, we spent picks on guys last year, one of whom didn't make it through final cuts. They are still here this year for camp so I'd support a late round pick, 4th on, as an option.
I voted for third round pick.  However, I would prefer earlier to later.  I see three big needs for the Jaguars that I would like to fill with our first three picks -- pass rusher, offensive line and nickel back.  I put nickel back third largely because I think it is the position that we are mostly likely to find a quality player in the third round.  However, if value makes sense another way, I'm fine with re-arranging the order and taking one in the first or second.  I think we would be pressing our luck if waited until the 4th round and I think relying on existing personnel would be foolish.  Herndon is at best, a backup quality NFL player and I emphasize "at best".  I don't think signing a free agent to address the position is likely at this point.  We need to address it in the draft and early.
(04-10-2023, 09:45 AM)TheDuke007 Wrote: [ -> ]I voted for third round pick.  However, I would prefer earlier to later.  I see three big needs for the Jaguars that I would like to fill with our first three picks -- pass rusher, offensive line and nickel back.  I put nickel back third largely because I think it is the position that we are mostly likely to find a quality player in the third round.  However, if value makes sense another way, I'm fine with re-arranging the order and taking one in the first or second.  I think we would be pressing our luck if waited until the 4th round and I think relying on existing personnel would be foolish.  Herndon is at best, a backup quality NFL player and I emphasize "at best".  I don't think signing a free agent to address the position is likely at this point.  We need to address it in the draft and early.

This is my same exact stance and why I voted for the 3rd RD option at the minimum. I could see Baalke coming back up in this draft with the amount of 4th and 6th RD selections he has. I think Sydney Brown, Garrett Williams, Riley Moss and Mekhi Blackmon should be considered as candidates.
Nickel is huge. Especially when you play it a majority of the time.
(04-07-2023, 08:58 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Discuss the nickel back position and its future in Duval County, FL. 

How do we address it?

I voted turd round, which might be redundant with blank #2.

Get the big guys early, if we take a guy in the first or second to play exclusively inside, we've wasted value. I expect a pick that early to grow into an outside role if they spend a year or so playing inside.  (I'm open to this option too, we have a lot of luxury available when we get to picking)
Tre herndon obviously is the goat no need to replace. I enjoy teams passing the ball all over us when hes on the field
(04-09-2023, 10:22 PM)Newton Wrote: [ -> ]Don’t we already have a few late round CBs we have been developing as well? Thinking we should still draft someone, but there is enough for a competition.

I Concur and yes we do have a couple of developing late rounders on the roster of which there is high hopes for. This is the reasoning to which I'd only pick an CB early within the 2023 NFL Draft to be an for sure starter. 

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
Brian Branch
(04-12-2023, 05:44 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Tre herndon obviously is the goat no need to replace. I enjoy teams passing the ball all over us when hes on the field

Haha. Yep.
(04-12-2023, 05:44 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Tre herndon obviously is the goat no need to replace. I enjoy teams passing the ball all over us when hes on the field

Show us on the doll where the bad ol' man hurt you.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Pages: 1 2