Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Michigan school district forces students to remove 'Let's Go Brandon' sweatshirts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Michigan school district faces lawsuit after forcing students to remove 'Let's Go Brandon' sweatshirts

'Criticism of the president is core political speech protected by the First Amendment': attorney

Two students who were prohibited from wearing clothing that featured a phrase critical of President Joe Biden have filed a lawsuit against their Michigan school district.

The Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression (FIRE) — self-described as "a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to defending and sustaining the individual rights of all Americans to free speech and free thought" — are representing the Tri County Middle School students who sued the school district Tuesday for viewpoint discrimination after they were forced to remove sweatshirts they wore to school that featured the phrase "Let’s Go Brandon" in February 2022.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/michiga...weatshirts
LOL
Who cares?

Schools have guidelines for this crap and the phrase is code for another phrase that contains an expletive.
Kids used to get sent home for wearing the wrong concert tees when I was in school.

Now, if the kids were hip, they'd be sporting one of these awesome shirts:
https://www.businessinsider.com/biden-20...ign-2023-4
(04-25-2023, 03:51 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]LOL
Who cares?

Schools have guidelines for this crap and the phrase is code for another phrase that contains an expletive.
Kids used to get sent home for wearing the wrong concert tees when I was in school.

Just because schools violated your rights doesn't mean we should keep permitting it. And let's be real, the schools don't do jack [BLEEP] when the kids are doing whatever the latest lefty craze is whether it's a walk out, protest on the quad, or chopping off their [BLEEP]. But if they do something anti-left? Whoo doggie, gotta put a stop to that pronto!
Who cares?

Have you figured out why thousands of people used either phrase?
If they allowed / still allow BLM and Antifa T-shirts, then I would consider this a problem. If rainbow paraphernalia is found every where on campus and is even promoted by the school itself, then I would consider this a problem. But I'm sure those two things just don't happen any more, so yes, send the bigoted idiots home.

Uniforms is one of the many things private schools get right. Public schools would do well to follow their example.
(04-25-2023, 03:56 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
Who cares?

Just because schools violated your rights doesn't mean we should keep permitting it. And let's be real, the schools don't do jack [BLEEP] when the kids are doing whatever the latest lefty craze is whether it's a walk out, protest on the quad, or chopping off their [BLEEP]. But if they do something anti-left? Whoo doggie, gotta put a stop to that pronto!

Meh 
I don't think that's how it works, but whatever. 
I think it is as simple as a teacher, dean, or principle deciding that something was offensive or inappropriate and acting on that. Just like they do on a regular basis for crap that is completely unrelated to politics.

(04-25-2023, 04:07 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]
Who cares?

Have you figured out why thousands of people used either phrase?

Ummm, I know it started with thousands of ppl chanting "[BLEEP] Joe Biden"  at a Nascar race. What else is there to figure out??
(04-25-2023, 04:55 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]If they allowed / still allow BLM and Antifa T-shirts, then I would consider this a problem.  If rainbow paraphernalia is found every where on campus and is even promoted by the school itself, then I would consider this a problem.  But I'm sure those two things just don't happen any more, so yes, send the bigoted idiots home.

Uniforms is one of the many things private schools get right.  Public schools would do well to follow their example.

Those shirts are in our schools every day and the teachers are flying the Alphabet flags in their classrooms, so yeah, the discrimination is a problem. Especially when it's the suppression of political speech.
(04-25-2023, 03:45 PM)The Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]Michigan school district faces lawsuit after forcing students to remove 'Let's Go Brandon' sweatshirts

'Criticism of the president is core political speech protected by the First Amendment': attorney

Two students who were prohibited from wearing clothing that featured a phrase critical of President Joe Biden have filed a lawsuit against their Michigan school district.

The Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression (FIRE) — self-described as "a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to defending and sustaining the individual rights of all Americans to free speech and free thought" — are representing the Tri County Middle School students who sued the school district Tuesday for viewpoint discrimination after they were forced to remove sweatshirts they wore to school that featured the phrase "Let’s Go Brandon" in February 2022.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/michiga...weatshirts

In the name of investigating journalism, they should have worn t-shirts stating “Orangeman Bad” shortly after.
Its true that "criticism of the president is core political speech protected by the First Amendment," however, courts have long held that most constitutional rights end at the schoolhouse door.
I think public schools, more than any other place, need to be teaching repsect for the President. And they should also be prohibiting clothes with negative messages. "God loves you" is a positive message, "Sinners repent now" is not. "Trump 2024" is a positive message, but "Let's go Brandon" is not. Don't be negative, don't be an [BLEEP], and you'll have less problems overall.
Yeah gotta say I'm with a school board here. Hopefully it's even across the board and all political or vulgar speech is banned, but anyone and everyone knows what let's go Brandon is a substitute for. Imagine if they allowed that rap song f Donald Trump printed on tshirts wouldn't be any different.
Haha. Yeah right. It's never even. Unless Freedom of Speech is the highest value, you won't see it applied evenly, and it's rarely the highest value.
(04-25-2023, 05:42 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-25-2023, 04:55 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]If they allowed / still allow BLM and Antifa T-shirts, then I would consider this a problem.  If rainbow paraphernalia is found every where on campus and is even promoted by the school itself, then I would consider this a problem.  But I'm sure those two things just don't happen any more, so yes, send the bigoted idiots home.

Uniforms is one of the many things private schools get right.  Public schools would do well to follow their example.

Those shirts are in our schools every day and the teachers are flying the Alphabet flags in their classrooms, so yeah, the discrimination is a problem. Especially when it's the suppression of political speech.

I need to put more effort into my sarcasm moving forward. My apologies.

(04-25-2023, 07:58 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Its true that "criticism of the president is core political speech protected by the First Amendment," however, courts have long held that most constitutional rights end at the schoolhouse door.
I think public schools, more than any other place, need to be teaching repsect for the President. And they should also be prohibiting clothes with negative messages. "God loves you" is a positive message, "Sinners repent now" is not. "Trump 2024" is a positive message, but "Let's go Brandon" is not. Don't be negative, don't be an [BLEEP], and you'll have less problems overall.

"Biden repent now" sounds pretty positive to me. So does "Biden loves you", at least to a certain demographic.
(04-25-2023, 07:58 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Its true that "criticism of the president is core political speech protected by the First Amendment," however, courts have long held that most constitutional rights end at the schoolhouse door.
I think public schools, more than any other place, need to be teaching repsect for the President.  And they should also be prohibiting clothes with negative messages.  "God loves you" is a positive message, "Sinners repent now" is not. "Trump 2024" is a positive message, but "Let's go Brandon" is not.  Don't be negative, don't be an [BLEEP], and you'll have less problems overall.

That's bull [BLEEP], the schools encourage outright activism on behalf of the Left and suppress anything that goes the other way. You know this, you just pretend you don't.
(04-26-2023, 06:25 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
I think public schools, more than any other place, need to be teaching repsect for the President.  And they should also be prohibiting clothes with negative messages.  "God loves you" is a positive message, "Sinners repent now" is not. "Trump 2024" is a positive message, but "Let's go Brandon" is not.  Don't be negative, don't be an [BLEEP], and you'll have less problems overall.

That's bull [BLEEP], the schools encourage outright activism on behalf of the Left and suppress anything that goes the other way. You know this, you just pretend you don't.

How is it that you have your finger on the pulse of schools across America so well that you can boldly make such a huge sweeping generalization? And we're talking about primary and secondary schools here, right? Not college. 

Seems incredibly presumptuous compared to your norm. 

Or you're just believing what you're told by the fear mongers who want you to believe that narrative. This subject - like so many - is politicized and propagandized as hell. Buyer beware on the information being broadcast.
Let's go Brandon is so yesterday. The kids in Michigan should be expelled for simply being behind the times.

Now let's go out and Lick the World. Let's get it done.
Love how the center left libs think only leftist ideology is being mischaracterized by the evil right while simultaneously trotting out racism at every opportunity. Cop Killers, am i rite? White nationalists, lol. Catastrophic climate change. Overpopulation. I could keep going, but it's not worth the effort (January 6th... Russian disinformation...).

The moderates and center left rarely apply the same standard to leftist demagoguery. I love how NYC has his finger on the pulse of all cop shootings (What? YOu know because you saw one on TV?). Catastrophic climate change (I KNOW because we had more hurricanes last year, but less this year). White nationalists (100 people were chanting "They will not replace us!). Overpopulation (I'm definitely not having kids to save the planet). Racism (The US is more racist today than it was in 1970, because we can't even get Kamala's name right).

Use the same standard for all that [BLEEP].
(04-26-2023, 11:43 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]Love how the center left libs think only leftist ideology is being mischaracterized by the evil right while simultaneously trotting out racism at every opportunity. Cop Killers, am i rite? White nationalists, lol. Catastrophic climate change. Overpopulation. I could keep going, but it's not worth the effort (January 6th... Russian disinformation...).

The moderates and center left rarely apply the same standard to leftist demagoguery. I love how NYC has his finger on the pulse of all cop shootings (What? YOu know because you saw one on TV?). Catastrophic climate change (I KNOW because we had more hurricanes last year, but less this year). White nationalists (100 people were chanting "They will not replace us!). Overpopulation (I'm definitely not having kids to save the planet). Racism (The US is more racist today than it was in 1970, because we can't even get Kamala's name right).

Use the same standard for all that [BLEEP].

I love you too

Also - I never said any of that weak [BLEEP] bull [BLEEP] you're trying to put in my mouth.
At least have a cognizant point instead of vomiting a bunch fiction.
Your point is only as cognizant as you think it is. Do you hold the left to the same standard? Was January 6th an insurrection?

We'll start small and work our way up.
(04-26-2023, 08:05 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]Your point is only as cognizant as you think it is. Do you hold the left to the same standard? Was January 6th an insurrection?

No question Jan 6 was an insurrection.  The question is how big was it, or how serious.  But it certainly meets the standard.

An analogy.
Back in my days working in the theme parks, I noticed a group of men who would picket near the parking lot that employees and contractors used.  They were AV installers and they hadn't been paid, or at least not paid how they thought the contract said.  That was a protest.  They weren't saying the theme park owner was illegitimate, and they weren't saying the judges presiding over the case were illegitimate.  They just wanted other employees and contractors to know their problem,  maybe avoid getting into the same problem, and hopefully irritate the theme park into paying them.  All above board.  If those protestors wanted to take it a step further, maybe blockade the workers from parking at their job, or blockade the judge from going to the courthouse, that would be less like a protest and more like an insurrection.  Whether or not they were armed.
(04-26-2023, 08:05 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]Your point is only as cognizant as you think it is. Do you hold the left to the same standard? Was January 6th an insurrection?

We'll start with each of your sentences above:

1st one is 100% bull [BLEEP]
2nd one: yes - i've stated nothing here to the contrary - you're interpreting based on bias
3rd one : LOL - what the [BLEEP] are you talking about?
Pages: 1 2