Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Grade day one
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
How do you grade day 1?

I give it a solid B. Got our tackle opposite Little and added more picks
Trading back multiple times and apparently still getting your guy makes it an A for me. I've no real opinion on Harrison other than I know the position he plays is important. But for how it went down last night, that's an A.
I give it an A for value and ammo. My only concern is did we get enough in those picks back? With a lot of movement going on I think we might've settled with the Bills, especially if we could've leveraged more with cowboys to stay ahead of them. But back room deals aren't really public so we'll never know; maybe that's all Trent could get.
If the the jags can do well todAy, that will make the day 1 pick look even better after those trade backs and getting what appears to be a potentially nice player.
Today will establish the overall grade for this draft.
I give it an A. Not a "wow, amazing pick I can't wait A" but a "This really fills a crucial role pick, especially after Cam's nonsense A". I really like that we traded back and picked up some later round picks, especially if we can use some of that to trade up today.
There was apparently another offer to trade back on the table, but we decided to pick Harrison at 27. They had 3 guys they were looking at at 24. Reading the tea leaves means either 1 or more of them was taken between picks 24-26 or the offer to trade back from 27 was more than the number of players they liked that were still on the board.

https://sports.yahoo.com/trent-baalke-ja...30873.html
I gave it an A.

I give it an A every year. So I guess my grade doesn't mean much.
Round 1 was definitely an A.. Grabbing extra picks and filling a need?

Yeah, can't do too much better than that!
(04-28-2023, 09:58 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]How do you grade day 1?

I give it a solid B.  Got our tackle opposite Little and added more picks

Giving it a C+ until we see this kid play RT. I don't see much potential for bust in the player, but I feel like we left some better players on the board.

Unless they leave Little at RT, and drop this kid into the fire, then I start questioning management.

(04-28-2023, 10:47 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]There was apparently another offer to trade back on the table, but we decided to pick Harrison at 27.  They had 3 guys they were looking at at 24.  Reading the tea leaves means either 1 or more of them was taken between picks 24-26 or the offer to trade back from 27 was more than the number of players they liked that were still on the board.

https://sports.yahoo.com/trent-baalke-ja...30873.html

That was my thought, I was dang near certain someone willing to kick Levis' tires would offer to move out of low second into the 27th spot.

I'll be curious to see what their plan is for the line - is Harrison or Little the long-term plan for LT? If Harrison spends most of his career with us on the right side, I can't help but think we could have deferred an RT pick till later and grabbed one of the other guys still on the board at 27 or wherever the trade would have landed us.
It's an A+ for me. You traded back twice in a class where the value is actually better overall starting tonight through early Saturday in RD4. You landed a very, very quick and athletic OT that can play LT or RT for you and he's coming over from an offensive system that is basically the same exact style we run here. The RPO, quick hit stuff with zone blocking schemes.

Even if he slips up a bit performance wise, he has a few things on his side, one, his age. He's practically a baby by NFL standards. Two, most lineman can be moved to comfortable positions. He's not "set" like a RB, TE or WR would be. If he's struggling at LT? Move him to RT. If he's struggling at RT? Move him to Guard. In the long run, you're maximizing your value there and protecting the single most important player we have in Lawrence.

You would have to be a troll at this point to hate what happened last night.
(04-28-2023, 10:14 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Today will establish the overall grade for this draft.

This is also crucial and fair to call out. I think Baalke will get this right starting tonight and through Saturday though. Not to sound like a smart [BLEEP] but there's a lot of great value to be had in RD2 and RD3 that specifically fit the needs we have at the moment. You would have to go out of your way to [BLEEP] this up. Just my opinion. 

I thought going into this draft, well before the Robinson situation, that, they were going to have to double dip along the offensive line, defensive line and secondary. I think they'll either trade for Baker if Arizona is willing to part ways, or, they'll stand strong and just double dip when and where they can.
I am thinking Mazi was one of their guys. When he was taken they were down to Harrison, so took the pick.
I wonder if Banks was there would they have taken him over Harrison
91%
We went into the draft with the 24th overall pick. We ended the first round with a young and talented LT and an extra 4th, 5th and 7th round picks. That is an amazing first round in my estimation.
(04-28-2023, 12:41 PM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]91%

Too bad there wasn't a player named Maize Cob.. Dude would be a Jag..

From Nebraska.. Loves to play Cornhole..
A+. Best OT available AND we picked up 3 additional picks. Whats not to love?
(04-28-2023, 12:31 PM)Jag149 Wrote: [ -> ]I am thinking Mazi was one of their guys. When he was taken they were down to Harrison, so took the pick.

NT Davon Hamilton's new $34.5 million contract and commitment made Mazi less plausible as the pick.
(04-28-2023, 11:20 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]I gave it an A.

I give it an A every year.  So I guess my grade doesn't mean much.

How can you not have faith each year when they have a proven historical track record of successful drafts.

2010 Draft
1 - 10 Tyson Alualu DT California
3 - 74 D'Anthony Smith DT Louisiana Tech
5 - 143 Larry Hart DE    Central Arkansas
5 - 153 Austen Lane DE Murray State
6 - 180 Deji Karim RB Southern Illinois
6 - 203 Scotty McGee DB James Madison

2011 Draft
1 - 10 Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri
3 - 76 Will Rackley G  Lehigh
4 - 114 Cecil Shorts III WR Mount Union
4 - 121 Chris Prosinski S Wyoming