Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Roster Development Prospects
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With the 2023 draft prospects and analysis in full process, we tend to dismiss the development guys on the roster.  In 2021, WR Tim Jones was an undrafted free agent out of Southern Miss.  He spent 2021 on the practice squad, and, with a year of development, made the 53 man roster in 2022.  I think there are a couple of guys hiding in the bowels of the current roster and/or last year's practice squad and reserve that have a chance to take a similar step up this season.  Who?

WR Kevin Austin.  Just under 6'3" and a solid 200 pounds, Austin went undrafted a year ago out of Notre Dame and spent the season on the Jags practice squad.  After a suspension and injury ruined his sophmore and junior college seasons, he started only 13 games at Notre Dame, but shined using his 4.4 speed and athleticism (9.89 RAS score).  With his limited experience, he needed skills development.

Edge Jordan Smith.  The 2021 draft notably delivered Lawrence, Etienne, Campbell, Cisco, and Little.  In the 4th round, the Jags drafted Jordan Smith, a 6'6" 264 pound development prospect out of UAB (and a former UF suspension/transfer).  He spent the 2021 season at the back end of the roster for development purposes, and a knee injury during last year's OTAs landed him on IR for the 2022 season.  With hard work and guidance of the Jag's training staff, he is now healthy and has molded a stronger but leaner 250 pound build.  When Pederson was asked about possible better pass rush from development in the roster, Smith was mentioned along with Allen and Walker.  

I am sure there are others, but I will be watching these two closely...
If there is anyone lurking on the bottom of the roster from any period of acquisition, I hope they can step up and do something for the pass rush, the nickel DB spot, or the LG position. We did little to help ourselves in these areas.