Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Cowherd predicts that Jags will win the #1 seed in 2023
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Prediction made mostly because he thinks we will go 6-0 in the weak AFCS.  Addition of Ridley is big on his radar as well.  Still ranks KC, Cincy, LA Chargers and Buffalo ahead of us as the teams to beat in the AFC.

While I'm not a big fan of some of his opinions, he's been right on predictions about as much as any other national pundit.
While we get the benefit of playing in the AFC South, as the 2022 Division winner, we have to play KC, Buffalo, and SF since they all won their divisions as well. That presents a real challenge.
(05-03-2023, 02:13 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]While we get the benefit of playing in the AFC South, as the 2022 Division winner, we have to play KC, Buffalo, and SF since they all won their divisions as well.  That presents a real challenge.

I think all three of those teams are beatable. Especially the Bills. I think we get the Chiefs at home this year do we not? That would be fun. San Francisco I think is overdue for a fall. That QB situation is still highly unstable. With or without Lance. With or without Purdy. You're only going to be able to go so far with that defense and ground game.
Hold up. It’s one game at a time. That’s nice though. Some recognition.
(05-03-2023, 02:21 PM)Jag88 Wrote: [ -> ]Hold up. It’s one game at a time. That’s nice though. Sone recognition.

OK .... since they schedule is set to be released on May 11, perhaps we can isolate our discussion specific to talking about our home opener for the next 4 months.  That should be fun.  Smile
It's better than what that [BLEEP] over on Good Morning Football thinks about our QB. Crazy S.O.B has Lawrence listed as a Tier 6 QB in the AFC. On par with guys like Pickett, while having guys like Wilson, Watson and Jimmy G above him and Herbert showing in Tier 3.

[BLEEP] lunatic. Kyle Brandt. He needs to be drug tested.
(05-03-2023, 02:26 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]It's better than what that [BLEEP] over on Good Morning Football thinks about our QB. Crazy S.O.B has Lawrence listed as a Tier 6 QB in the AFC. On par with guys like Pickett, while having guys like Wilson, Watson and Jimmy G above him and Herbert showing in Tier 3.

I saw that lol

I love Kyle but my god…. An absolutely HORRIBLE list
(05-03-2023, 02:26 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]It's better than what that [BLEEP] over on Good Morning Football thinks about our QB. Crazy S.O.B has Lawrence listed as a Tier 6 QB in the AFC. On par with guys like Pickett, while having guys like Wilson, Watson and Jimmy G above him and Herbert showing in Tier 3.

Bruh...

I heard about that this morning. 
For a minute I thought maybe Brandt was trying to do research on the Duval twitter-mob or something.
Like- trying intentionally to get dragged so he could write a piece about how ruthless that crew can be. 

That list was riDICulous.

He’s no football guy. He’s just a human interest story guy/entertainment dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(05-03-2023, 02:18 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-03-2023, 02:13 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]While we get the benefit of playing in the AFC South, as the 2022 Division winner, we have to play KC, Buffalo, and SF since they all won their divisions as well.  That presents a real challenge.

I think all three of those teams are beatable. Especially the Bills. I think we get the Chiefs at home this year do we not? That would be fun. San Francisco I think is overdue for a fall. That QB situation is still highly unstable. With or without Lance. With or without Purdy. You're only going to be able to go so far with that defense and ground game.

We should build our defense with KC in mind. Specifically, getting to and stopping Mahomes. We aren’t going anywhere until we learn how to neutralize him.
(05-03-2023, 03:19 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-03-2023, 02:18 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]I think all three of those teams are beatable. Especially the Bills. I think we get the Chiefs at home this year do we not? That would be fun. San Francisco I think is overdue for a fall. That QB situation is still highly unstable. With or without Lance. With or without Purdy. You're only going to be able to go so far with that defense and ground game.

We should build our defense with KC in mind. Specifically, getting to and stopping Mahomes. We aren’t going anywhere until we learn how to neutralize him.

Well, we could show all of our defenders video of the hip drop tackle Arden Key injured Mahomes with for starters.
(I'm kidding - it's legal, but probably not for long) 
In this year's league meetings - they actually discussed a ban on that style of tackle the way they did the horse-collar years ago. I guess it didn't pass yet, but it's probably a matter of time.  

Tony Pollard was hurt the same way last year. It is known to get the offensive players foot or feet trapped in very vulnerable positions.
I just don't think that will happen. The division winners and the AFC North will all be really hard/tough games. Honestly, just going 4-3 in those 7 games would be an amazing accomplishment, and 3 losses may be too many to get the No. 1 seed.

Plus just because the other South teams are eyeing rebuilding, I don't trust this team to just go 6-0 against them. Especially as the team with the target on their back. Probably more like 5-1 or 4-2. T-Law is used to that from college, but the rest of the team may not be.

Lastly, when was the last time the Jags swept an NFC division? Probably 3-1 at best due to a tough Atlanta offense and tough Carolina defense with Reich is pretty familiar with Jacksonville.

Also the Jags were the 2nd healthiest team in the league last year, and the biggest injury was one of fewest deep positions on the team last year. That will regress to the mean. (Yes they had other major injuries in the interior OL/DL, but LT is a bigger injury for most teams.)

I'm not saying they won't win the division, but No. 1 seed is too rich of a projection.
Getting the top seed would be an incredible feat. I would be impressed. With that said. I agree with rpr. I am taking the over, slightly, with an 11 - 6 record in 2023. I expect us to have a few games where the ball doesn't bounce our way for a young team still trying to gel on both sides just simply has an off day. It's going to happen and that's okay. I still think we'll make a nice play-off run and it's possible we'll be in the AFC Championship game against the Chiefs or Bengals more than likely. There's always, always a few teams though that sneak up on it's respective conference.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sean Payton quickly turns the Broncos around with Wilson and they end up with 10 or more wins and edging teams out of their division like the Raiders and Chargers. Pittsburgh is also a scrappy team. Can't believe they won 9 games last year with Pickett as a rookie. They could egde out the Ravens. Not as big as the mainstream is on the Rodgers/Jets plane. Think they might improve slightly from 7 - 10 but still manage to fall just behind the Dolphins and Bills. Can never count Belichick out as well in New England.
No way in Hades am I ever having those kinds of expectations out of the Jaguars. It's nice to have some continuity, and I think we have the best team in the division, but it's a long season and there's a fine line between winning and losing. I have faith the Jaguars are a playoff caliber team, but in 2018 I had that same faith and we got kicked in the nads.
Smart man

I'm actually glad we play those 3 teams in the regular season, because I think the experience of going against likely superbowl contenders early could help us should we make the playoffs and have to face them again, or dare I say if we make the SB and play SF.

(05-03-2023, 05:20 PM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: [ -> ]No way in Hades am I ever having those kinds of expectations out of the Jaguars.  It's nice to have some continuity,  and I think we have the best team in the division,  but it's a long season and there's a fine line between winning and losing.  I have faith the Jaguars are a playoff caliber team,  but in 2018 I had that same faith and we got kicked in the nads.

2018 was basically "Well if our defense can be historic again, maybe we could get back in to the playoffs"
2023 is "Aslong as Trevor dosen't regress and continues upon his improvement from last year, we could get back to the playoffs"

I think it's safer to assume One guy will continue to improve versus the idea of 7-8 players remaining absurdly good for two straight seasons.
(05-03-2023, 05:43 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm actually glad we play those 3 teams in the regular season, because I think the experience of going against likely superbowl contenders early could help us should we make the playoffs and have to face them again, or dare I say if we make the SB and play SF.

(05-03-2023, 05:20 PM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: [ -> ]No way in Hades am I ever having those kinds of expectations out of the Jaguars.  It's nice to have some continuity,  and I think we have the best team in the division,  but it's a long season and there's a fine line between winning and losing.  I have faith the Jaguars are a playoff caliber team,  but in 2018 I had that same faith and we got kicked in the nads.

2018 was basically "Well if our defense can be historic again, maybe we could get back in to the playoffs"
2023 is "Aslong as Trevor dosen't regress and continues upon his improvement from last year, we could get back to the playoffs"

I think it's safer to assume One guy will continue to improve versus the idea of 7-8 players remaining absurdly good for two straight seasons.

Gotta disagree about 2018.  We looked great through the Pats game.  Both starting tackles got hurt, I’m pretty sure in that game.  Then Bortles was running for his life for most of the rest of the year as we were playing street free agents on the line by the end of the year.  I actually think 2018 destroyed Bortles (not that he was ever anymore than average).  His confidence was shot and he was never even adequate after that.
(05-03-2023, 07:34 PM)RicoTx Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-03-2023, 05:43 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]I'm actually glad we play those 3 teams in the regular season, because I think the experience of going against likely superbowl contenders early could help us should we make the playoffs and have to face them again, or dare I say if we make the SB and play SF.

Gotta disagree about 2018.  We looked great through the Pats game.  Both starting tackles got hurt, I’m pretty sure in that game.  Then Bortles was running for his life for most of the rest of the year as we were playing street Fred agents on the line by the end of the year.  I actually think 2018 destroyed Bortles (not that he was ever anymore than average).  His confidence was shot and he was never even adequate after that.
Im not saying the tackles being injured didnt hurt our win total but our defense was clearly not the same as it had been the year prior
The schedule comes out next week. That will be important to see.
(05-03-2023, 07:34 PM)RicoTx Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-03-2023, 05:43 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]I'm actually glad we play those 3 teams in the regular season, because I think the experience of going against likely superbowl contenders early could help us should we make the playoffs and have to face them again, or dare I say if we make the SB and play SF.

Gotta disagree about 2018.  We looked great through the Pats game.  Both starting tackles got hurt, I’m pretty sure in that game.  Then Bortles was running for his life for most of the rest of the year as we were playing street free agents on the line by the end of the year.  I actually think 2018 destroyed Bortles (not that he was ever anymore than average).  His confidence was shot and he was never even adequate after that.

Cam Robinson was lost for the season in the game 3 loss vs the Tacks. We beat the Jets handily the next week, but then got destroyed by the Chiefs. Bortles threw 4 picks in that game, and Fornette was lost for 4 games. That was the beginning of the end for Bortles.
Pages: 1 2 3