Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Madame Mayor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Donna Deegan wins. Daniel Davis didn’t really qualify. He’s a robot.

I think she’ll do alright.
I'm amazed she's beaten breast cancer for this long. I wish the best for her and the city, but, being that I haven't lived there for about 2 decades, I have nothing else to say about it.

Other than, non-partisan primaries and runoff elections work. They find a moderate and unifying candidate more often then other methods. Ranked choice elections seem to work even better.
Watched the debate with her and Davis. He honestly didn't stand a chance.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
The name recognition alone here in jax got her a whole lot of votes. People have been watching her for years, and hearing about her breast cancer run, that’s a lot to overcome.
She says “Love won today.” I have no idea what that means but I sure hope it doesn’t become some weird theme of her administration.

Sadly, my biggest concern with this mayoral race was the Jaguars. She’s already stated her support for a renovated stadium and having them play here during that time. Let’s hope she follows through.
(05-17-2023, 06:09 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]She says “Love won today.” I have no idea what that means but I sure hope it doesn’t become some weird theme of her administration.

Sadly, my biggest concern with this mayoral race was the Jaguars. She’s already stated her support for a renovated stadium and having them play here during that time. Let’s hope she follows through.

That's the only thing I was concerned about in this election- do the stadium renovations.  Don't lose the team.
(05-17-2023, 06:09 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]She says “Love won today.” I have no idea what that means but I sure hope it doesn’t become some weird theme of her administration.

She's all in on woke, commie stuff. It's terrible for Jacksonville that she won.

DeSantis picked another loser. This should have been easy to win because she had nothing but talking a good game as a reporter. Unfortunately they picked someone who was bland and didn't motivate anyone to vote.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
(05-17-2023, 07:13 AM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]

She's all in on woke, commie stuff. It's terrible for Jacksonville that she won.

DeSantis picked another loser. This should have been easy to win because she had nothing but talking a good game as a reporter. Unfortunately they picked someone who was bland and didn't motivate anyone to vote.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

She's more conservative than liberal. Don't [BLEEP] yourself. She ran as a Democrat because she needed the votes and she wanted to win. While some of her ideas and Davis' ideas sound great on paper. I just have a hard time buying into it. Getting the water and septic issues resolved for the northern and northeast region of Jacksonville natives is a good idea. My concern is how is she going to drum up small businesses and help the black community out when it's the black communities that are trapped in downtown hell. Especially with gun violence, gang issues and homelessness being an issue down there.

Hard to get a small business going right now with costs rising across the board. Affordable housing is nearly impossible at the moment. That's not just a Jacksonville issue. That's a major issue across the nation. Crime is up because people are on the streets now. Punishing panhandlers for trying to scrape by? How does that help? Downtown is a mess. Then, they were trying to speak to getting more jobs down there and along the northern area. Listen, Jacksonville is a huge city, by land, we're the biggest in this country. We're just too damn spread out to make a lot of these things work. 

Nobody that lives on the beaches or that lives within the San Pablo, Hodges, Kernan and St. Johns Bluff area is going to venture downtown very often to support a small business. It's just not realistic. Ease of access and public transportation improvements or parking locations with main attractions that have a permanent foothold in that area would be more realistic to keep a small business afloat in the long run. I do agree that she needs to work with Khan, who, by all accounts, not only has the money but the willingness to invest in this city. 

I like her approach about bringing in people to work out a new deal with him that have actual NFL experience. She was quick to throw the J Lot situation in Davis' face as well as the JEA situation that he stumbled on in that debate. She really took him to the cleaners. Not to sound insensitive but her surviving breast cancer should have no bearing nor any meaning to people looking for changes or improvement in this city. It's politics. Not lifetime move night nor daytime TV. I think she won because she was simply the better candidate than Davis.
All hail Magda!!! I can see it now.

"Hi, I'm Donna Deegan, Jacksonville's newest mayor. Please come and visit, our sun is so great you too can have a face of leather by the age of 62."
I wonder if Dan Hicken also voted for her
(05-17-2023, 08:02 AM)jaglyn Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if Dan Hicken also voted for her

He has probably buried the hatchet by now I would imagine. At least she got her scandal out of the way early in her career. She fits in perfectly with the rest of the political leaders across the board. Went from pickin' with the Hicken's to dickin' with the Hicken's. Sometimes it just happens.
(05-17-2023, 08:08 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-17-2023, 08:02 AM)jaglyn Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if Dan Hicken also voted for her

He has probably buried the hatchet by now I would imagine. At least she got her scandal out of the way early in her career. She fits in perfectly with the rest of the political leaders across the board. Went from pickin' with the Hicken's to dickin' with the Hicken's. Sometimes it just happens.

He talked about it this morning though he didn't disclose his vote. Basically it was 20 years ago and they've both moved on.
I always admired Dan Hicken for how he handled the situation. It could have easily gone sideways and ugly but he put the well-being of his children above all else. He was the mature adult in the room that kept it civil.
(05-17-2023, 08:30 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-17-2023, 08:08 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]He has probably buried the hatchet by now I would imagine. At least she got her scandal out of the way early in her career. She fits in perfectly with the rest of the political leaders across the board. Went from pickin' with the Hicken's to dickin' with the Hicken's. Sometimes it just happens.

He talked about it this morning though he didn't disclose his vote. Basically it was 20 years ago and they've both moved on.

Yep. He's remarried since then as well. It didn't hurt neither one of their careers. All it did was just reveal the nature of two married people at the time with Donna and Tim.
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I damn sure wouldn't have voted for someone who supported Gillum..
(05-17-2023, 08:33 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]I always admired Dan Hicken for how he handled the situation. It could have easily gone sideways and ugly but he put the well-being of his children above all else. He was the mature adult in the room that kept it civil.

Yep. He's a better man than I. I would have bodied Tim on the spot.
(05-17-2023, 08:37 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-17-2023, 08:33 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]I always admired Dan Hicken for how he handled the situation. It could have easily gone sideways and ugly but he put the well-being of his children above all else. He was the mature adult in the room that kept it civil.

Yep. He's a better man than I. I would have bodied Tim on the spot.

I have somewhat of a funny Tim story.. 

Long time ago, I used to work as a contractor for outdoor security lighting. Was doing an install on Atlantic Beach, some bar or restaurant, and Tim was riding by me on his beach cruiser bike.. Me, being young, got a bit excited seeing somewhat of a local 'celeb' that's on TV.. As he rode by, I yelled out, 'Yo Tim, how ya doing dude!'.. And as he rode by, he gave me an eye roll like he was totally embarrassed to have seen me.. I then yelled something along the lines of "WELL [BLEEP] YOU TOO YOU BACON FACED MOTHER [BLEEP]!!".. He then turned and looked back at me and sped up like I was gonna chase him down with a shovel in my hand lololol

He was a jackass..
(05-17-2023, 10:09 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-17-2023, 08:37 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Yep. He's a better man than I. I would have bodied Tim on the spot.

Long time ago, I used to work as a contractor for outdoor security lighting. Was doing an install on Atlantic Beach, some bar or restaurant, and Tim was riding by me on his beach cruiser bike.. Me, being young, got a bit excited seeing somewhat of a local 'celeb' that's on TV.. As he rode by, I yelled out, 'Yo Tim, how ya doing dude!'.. And as he rode by, he gave me an eye roll like he was totally embarrassed to have seen me.. I then yelled something along the lines of "WELL [BLEEP] YOU TOO YOU BACON FACED MOTHER [BLEEP]!!".. He then turned and looked back at me and sped up like I was gonna chase him down with a shovel in my hand lololol

He was a jackass..

Haha! Nice! He really does give off a [BLEEP] vibe. Doesn't surprise me at all.
(05-17-2023, 10:09 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-17-2023, 08:37 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Yep. He's a better man than I. I would have bodied Tim on the spot.

He was a jackass..

I read an account somewhere of how he apparently violated a surfer code off Jax Beach. Another surfer paddled over and slapped him hard across the face. He got out of the water, packed up his surf board and left.
(05-17-2023, 10:19 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-17-2023, 10:09 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]I have somewhat of a funny Tim story.. 

He was a jackass..

I read an account somewhere of how he apparently violated a surfer code off Jax Beach. Another surfer paddled over and slapped him hard across the face. He got out of the water, packed up his surf board and left.
It was probably my post years ago. I was there and witnessed it. It was at The Poles. Drunk timmy paddles out and immediately snaked a wave from the dude resulting in a collision and a significant sized ding. Dude paddles over, slaps the ever living dog [BLEEP] out of timmy. No response other than padding in and walking the kook walk of shame. It was hilarious.
Pages: 1 2