Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Sad day in the world of cycling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gino-ma...sse-crash/

26 year old Gino Mader of Team Bahrain Victorious passed away this morning from injuries suffered in a crash yesterday in the Tour de Suisse. Today the peloton rode in honor of his memory instead of racing the stage and it was done in good taste. 

The guts of it is he died in his home country. I try to tell myself at least he died doing what he loved but the fact is he had his whole life ahead of him to pursue his career, marry his girlfriend and start a family, etc. 

I'm at an age where most of my life is behind me. Even if I live 50 more years they won't be youthful years and seeing my parents, in-laws and others their age and older having the health issues they have, and some folks we know have died recently, it puts things in a perspective I'm not ready for yet. A sentiment like at least he died doing what he loves falls flat for me now in a way it didn't before. 

We aren't promised tomorrow or even the next hour. Gino woke up yesterday morning to race the stage and had no idea there would be a DNF next to his stage race stats by the afternoon that would be his last DNF. 

Ride in eternity, Gino. You will be missed.