Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The History of the Jaguars vs Browns
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What if I told you that from 1995 until 2000, which is 6 NFL seasons, the Jaguars beat a team 8 times in a row. However, if you include their name change plus their original name that number increases from 8 wins in a row to 16 games in a row. 

A perfect 16-0. 

I’m still researching to see if that can be added to the NFL record books or not. 

It wasn’t until the year 2000 when this team(s) finally won a game against the Jaguars. The team I’m talking about is the Browns/Ravens Browns. After the 1995 season, the Browns moved to Baltimore as the Ravens. The city of Cleveland put the owner in a law suit and won, so the league decided to give the team back to Cleveland but not the players so they formed another expansion team which is today’s Browns. The old Browns are the now today’s Ravens. 

Back in the old days the Browns, Ravens and Jaguars were in the AFC Central Division and played each other 2 times per year and the Jaguars racked up some wins against this/these team(s) depending on how you look at it. 

If you include the 2001 season, the Jaguars beat these teams 17 times in 7 seasons. 

This includes the following teams:

1995 Browns 
1996 Ravens (who were the 1995 Browns)
1997 Ravens see above 
1998 Ravens 
1999 Browns 
1999 Ravens 
2000 Browns 

*2001 Browns (beat them once that year)

Then the next decade craziness started happening in these Ravens/Browns/Browns games ……

In 1995 in week 8 the Jaguars closed the game out with an interception in the endzone with the score 23-15.

I’m 1995 in the 2nd game vs Cleveland in week 17, the game was tied 21-21 in the 4th quarter with :16 seconds left in the game. Brunell threw a long pass attempt to Desmond Howard which drew a pass interference and put the Jaguars in FG range. Hollis MISSED THE GAME WINNING FG..BUT…The Browns was flagged for offsides and the Jaguars get another chance to win the game with with about 6 seconds left on the clock. Hollis lines up for the 34 yard FG and drilled it for the game winner.

in 2000 the Ravens beat us in the famous Jimmy Smith almost 300 yards game. Sharpe caught the game winner with a couple minutes left in the game.

2001 Week 3 the game ended when backup QB Quinn was picked off to end the game.

2001 Week 14 Morgan was ruled for not making the catch, the Browns turned the ball over on downs to end the game. Which caused Bottle Gate to happen.

2002 Tim Couch throws a Hail Mary to Morgan to end the game. Browns won as time expired.

2005 was the famous Garrard 3rd and 19 scramble for a first down to help seal the game in a Jaguars win. At the time it was one of the biggest plays in franchise history because it helped us make the playoffs that season while Leftwich was out with injury. 

2008 Matt Jones drops a Fail Mary with 5 seconds left in the game. Browns won

2009 Browns knocked us out of playoff contention. Browns won 23-17. Zach Miller caught a TD with 0 seconds left on the clock. 

2010 Sean Considine ended the game with an interception which sealed the win for the Jaguars. Garrard had 4 turnovers this game. 

The other Ravens game in 2000, Brackens intercepted a Tony Banks pass at the 2 yard line and lunges forward for a touchdown, but the refs say he fumbled and took the touchdown away from the Jaguars, leading to a Ravens win 15-10.

In 2011, the Jaguars were losing 14-10 in the 4th quarter. Gabbert attempted a pass to Jason Hill but the Browns were flagged for pass interference with :52 seconds left in the game with the ball spotted at the 12 yard line. With :03 seconds left in the game and then all spotted at the 1 yard line. Gabbert lined up in the shotgun on 3rd down and attempts to hit Mike Thomas for the game winner, but it fell incomplete with 0 seconds remaining. Browns hold on to win 14-10.

In 2013 with 4:24 left in the game, Jaguars lead the Browns 22-21 in the 4th quarter. Scobee gives the Jaguars another 3 points on a FG to extend the lead to 25-21. With about 4:09 left in the game, Braden Weeden dropped back in his own endzone and threw a pass to Josh Gordon, who then raced to the endzone for a TD. Gordon became the 1st player in NFL history to have 200 yards in back to back games. Gordon’s TD gave Cleveland the lead with a score of 28-25 with 3:55 left in the 4th quarter. On 3rd and 9 with :45 seconds left in the game, Chad Henne hit Cecil Shorts for a TD pass which gave the lead back to Jacksonville with the score of 32-28. The TD was reviewed for an extended amount of time but was ruled a catch and a TD. It marked the 3rd lead change in the 4th quarter alone. There were 5 lead changes in the game. With :06 seconds left in the game, the Browns line up for a Hail Mary from about the 45 yard line. Weeden threw the ball in the endzone and Chris Prosinski batted the football to the ground. Game over. Jaguars win 32-28.

2020 the Jaguars lined up for a 2pt conversion to tie the game 27-27 but Jaguars QB Mike Glennon threw a wild pass that fell incomplete. The Browns win 27-25.

I would have kept going but that’s enough for now. Let me know what you guys think.

Mmmmm bop bop bommm skeppmmmmddummmp, I am the “stat-man”
That's wild! Nice find man! Have we ever swept the division? Whether it was AFC Central or AFC South historically? Curious.
The 1999 and 2000 Browns were different organisations than the 1995 Browns/Ravens.  Still 12 in a row is impressive not to mention the wild back and forth late game heroics between the teams since then.
(06-28-2023, 08:51 AM)copycat Wrote: [ -> ]The 1999 and 2000 Browns were different organisations than the 1995 Browns/Ravens.  Still 12 in a row is impressive not to mention the wild back and forth late game heroics between the teams since then.

That’s correct. That was covered in the post.
(06-28-2023, 07:59 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]That's wild! Nice find man! Have we ever swept the division? Whether it was AFC Central or AFC South historically? Curious.

Since 2002 a divisional sweep has happened 22 times but the Jaguars have never swept the entire division in a single season. However..I got a few stats in that category.

What is the Jaguars most division wins in a season? 8, which happened in 1999. The Jaguars went 8-2 in the AFC Central.

What is the least amount of division wins in a season? 1, which happened in 2014,2018,2020,2021

The Jaguars won went 4-4 in their first season ever in 1995. The following season in 1996, the Jaguars finished 5-3 in the division. In 1997 they went 6-2. In 1998 6-2. In 1999 8-2, 2000 5-5 and in 2001 5-5.

And then we got transferred the AFC Manning Division and never won more than 4 division games in a season. Since the 2002 alignment we have won 4 division games just three times…(2005, 2017, 2022).

Weird stat of the week: The Jaguars have never beat the Rams by more than 3 points, the Packers by more than 4 points, the Broncos by more than 9 points, Patriots by more than 11 points, or Seahawks by more than 12 points. 

In the regular season, what is the Jaguars largest margin of victory ever???? Yep…you guessed it….Cleveland 48-0 which happened on December 3, 2000.
History says the Jaguars and Browns will come down to the last couple plays of the game. Just hoping we get the Dub.
I'll be happy with us running off the field with the W while the refs are avoiding beer bottles again.
(12-10-2023, 08:28 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: [ -> ]I'll be happy with us running off the field with the W while the refs are avoiding beer bottles again.

Getting the W is paramount, but I'd take a bottlegate 2.0 as well honestly.
(12-10-2023, 08:28 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: [ -> ]I'll be happy with us running off the field with the W while the refs are avoiding beer bottles again.

Those were the days .... Rolleyes 
there's some crazy fans up there