Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Is "competition" a joke?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was listening to the Drill this morning and a good point was made. There has been competition preached at LT this whole offseason but Beachum won the job without having to do nearly anything. Granted, the Joke is awful but has done relatively well as an OT this offseason where Beachum didn't take many reps at all. Has competition just become coach speak here?

Meh, I think Beachum was just flat out that much better than Luke.
Obviously we were forced to keep Luke Joeckel at LT until Kelvin Beachum was cleared to play. If Beachum was healthy, one of two things could have happened:

1. A competition for the starting job.

2. Moving Joeckel to LG when training camp started.

Gussy addressed this in his presser yesterday. He acknowledged the lack of competition at LT, and stated he felt Luke got better this offseason at LT. He said the entire body of work of Beachum is what landed him the starting job. In other words, he is saying Luke is trash. 

Quote:Gussy addressed this in his presser yesterday. He acknowledged the lack of competition at LT, and stated he felt Luke got better this offseason at LT. He said the entire body of work of Beachum is what landed him the starting job. In other words, he is saying Luke is trash. 

If Gus said Luke got better at LT, he obviously was saying Joeckel is not trash.
Quote:If Gus said Luke got better at LT, he obviously was saying Joeckel is not trash.

You can polish a turd, but it's still a piece of crap.
LJ did not come back any stronger this year. Lower or upper body strength. It appears he may have an aversion to weight lifting or any kind of strength building. To the point of the thread. Gus admitted there was no real competition and they were probably aware there wouldn't be when LJ reported weak as he was last season.

Quote:You can polish a turd, but it's still a piece of crap.

Yes, but really, how do you polish a turd?   It would all come apart when you polished it.  So what you're saying has no validity. 
There was never going to be a competition. You don't pay a guy that much and bring him in for "competition". The fact that Bradley said it was the entire body of work that won Beachum the position is also a sham. Whether people like Joeckel or not, his body of work and Beachum's are almost identical, except Joeckel actually had less penalties and more playing time.

Quote:Yes, but really, how do you polish a turd?   It would all come apart when you polished it.  So what you're saying has no validity. 
Incorrect, proof below.

[Image: golden-poo1.jpg]

Quote:Incorrect, proof below.

[Image: golden-poo1.jpg]

I stand corrected.  In fact, your picture there led me to the source of all knowledge (the internet), where I found out, you actually can polish a turd. 

Mythbusters polishes a turd.
Quote:You can polish a turd, but it's still a piece of crap.

Gus did not say Luke is trash.