Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: You woke idiots were told exactly what would happen...... Did you listen?...... NOPE!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Defund the police movement wrecks America's third-largest city

The plunge into lawlessness can be attributed to liberal policies and inept governance

The defund the police movement continues to wreak havoc on the streets of Chicago, as lawlessness and crime reach unprecedented levels. The city that was once known for its vibrant culture and thriving communities has now become a hotbed of violence and chaos. 

As a conservative and a former policeman, I am deeply concerned about the state of our cities and the safety of our citizens. It is high time we discard the misguided notions of "wokeness" and political correctness and return to the principles of law and order that have served our society well for centuries.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/defund-p...rgest-city
Glad you're back, duder..

Missed your headlines lolol
Idiots will be idiots
This article will probably look really silly as the actual numbers of Chicago's police funding since 2019 continue to come to light.

There is so much disinformation out there that it's hard to decipher, but from what I've read at a half dozen less biased sites than fox news, the police budget in Chicago was never defunded. They examined the budget - moved ahead with funding - but just made strategic cuts to trim fat in areas that called for it.

Their annual budget actually INCREASED from everything I'm seeing, it just didn't increase at the same rate it had been increasing annually prior to the cuts.

The actual numbers are apparently hard to get because of ongoing lawsuits.
If anyone is able to dig up actual numbers released from the city records - I'd be interested to see them.
Trust your eyes..
(07-17-2023, 06:16 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]Trust your eyes..

Police budget spending has increased 19% in Chicago since the mayor threatened to "defund" 

Try again

Why would I do that? I'm in Florida.  And Chicago has had the highest raw numbers of crime reports basically my entire life.
On a per capita basis, Chicago is only like #10.
(07-17-2023, 06:31 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]

Police budget spending has increased 19% in Chicago since the mayor threatened to "defund" 

Try again

I just don't care what you have to say..

Don't try again..
(07-17-2023, 07:13 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-17-2023, 06:31 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Police budget spending has increased 19% in Chicago since the mayor threatened to "defund" 

Try again

Don't try again..

Yes, yes, truth and facts make you uncomfortable, I know.
Blah blah blah liberal garbage blah blah blah
(07-17-2023, 07:13 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-17-2023, 06:31 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Police budget spending has increased 19% in Chicago since the mayor threatened to "defund" 

Try again

Don't try again..

At least I see now it's not personal.
(07-17-2023, 08:01 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-17-2023, 07:13 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]I just don't care what you have to say..

Don't try again..

At least I see now it's not personal.

It may not be personal 

Facts=Garbage is a mantra for Trump cultists
(07-17-2023, 12:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]This article will probably look really silly as the actual numbers of Chicago's police funding since 2019 continue to come to light.

There is so much disinformation out there that it's hard to decipher, but from what I've read at a half dozen less biased sites than fox news, the police budget in Chicago was never defunded. They examined the budget - moved ahead with funding - but just made strategic cuts to trim fat in areas that called for it.

Their annual budget actually INCREASED from everything I'm seeing, it just didn't increase at the same rate it had been increasing annually prior to the cuts.

If anyone is able to dig up actual numbers released from the city records - I'd be interested to see them.
You don't understand how a budget cut works for the government. Cutting funding doesn't mean that you actually lost funding from the previous year, it means what you wrote. Anytime you don't get the same % increase the following year, it is a budget cut. The budget increase each year is a given and they expect it. So cutting the standard increase $1 is a cut to the government.

Also just because the total $ amount didn't change or increased doesn't mean the police actually get the money. It could be going to hire peace keepers or whatever else stupid program. There could be less cops even with the larger budget.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
(07-17-2023, 08:27 PM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-17-2023, 12:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]This article will probably look really silly as the actual numbers of Chicago's police funding since 2019 continue to come to light.

You don't understand how a budget cut works for the government. Cutting funding doesn't mean that you actually lost funding from the previous year, it means what you wrote. Anytime you don't get the same % increase the following year, it is a budget cut. The budget increase each year is a given and they expect it. So cutting the standard increase $1 is a cut to the government.

Also just because the total $ amount didn't change or increased doesn't mean the police actually get the money. It could be going to hire peace keepers or whatever else stupid program. There could be less cops even with the larger budget.

LOL

I clearly said cuts were made. 
I later stated the increase was 19% in funding annually. 
Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the increase would have been more if they didn't make the cuts. 

The relevant point I was making is that the attempt to paint the "defunding" in the extreme fashion the OP article portrayed was disingenuous to the truth of what actually happened.

Gotta love these facts. Only the facts, brosephs. It's impossible to distort them. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.
(07-17-2023, 09:30 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]

Gotta love these facts. Only the facts, brosephs. It's impossible to distort them. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

LOL

Please regale us with what facts you can find on the matter not shared here.
(07-17-2023, 08:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-17-2023, 08:27 PM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]You don't understand how a budget cut works for the government. Cutting funding doesn't mean that you actually lost funding from the previous year, it means what you wrote. Anytime you don't get the same % increase the following year, it is a budget cut. The budget increase each year is a given and they expect it. So cutting the standard increase $1 is a cut to the government.

LOL

I clearly said cuts were made. 
I later stated the increase was 19% in funding annually. 
Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the increase would have been more if they didn't make the cuts. 

The relevant point I was making is that the attempt to paint the "defunding" in the extreme fashion the OP article portrayed was disingenuous to the truth of what actually happened.

Funding increasing can still be called a cut by the government. Even a 19% increase could be a cut. So yes it is stupid to say that is a cut but governments from state to federal do that all the time.

The media then picks it up and uses shock titles and 1st paragraphs to influence your feelings. They may or may not finally mention that cut was to an imaginary budget and the actual budget increased it but they were expecting a larger increase.

Both sides do this but federally there hasn't been a budget in a while so those headlines haven't been used much.

(07-17-2023, 09:40 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-17-2023, 09:30 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]Gotta love these facts. Only the facts, brosephs. It's impossible to distort them. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

LOL

Why bother, dude? You believe what you want to believe. You're so invested in what you're told that you can't believe your eyes. Defund the police? ...Can't defund it if it's getting more money, right? Those are the FACTS™.   

Meanwhile, in reality world, Chicago has been downsizing its actual sworn-in police department members in spite of high crime for the last 5 years. So, even though they are increasing their budget, putting you clearly on the right side of the FACTS™, they aren't using it to actually, you know, get more police. They are reducing their police force. But, hey, technically downsizing isn't defunding, right? That downsizing is just a coincidence. Don't worry, though... while you repeat the FACTS™ about their budget increasing, I'm sure some nice corporate contractor is somehow finding new ways to funnel money from the taxpayers while crime continues to skyrocket. And I'm not even going to mention the problems the defund the police movement has created for cops who are now too afraid to police. Gotta love dem FACTS™.

[Image: 7.8.22_blog_p1.png]
(07-18-2023, 02:19 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-17-2023, 09:40 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]LOL

Why bother, dude? You believe what you want to believe. You're so invested in what you're told that you can't believe your eyes. Defund the police? ...Can't defund it if it's getting more money, right? Those are the FACTS™.   

Meanwhile, in reality world, Chicago has been downsizing its actual sworn-in police department members in spite of high crime for the last 5 years. So, even though they are increasing their budget, putting you clearly on the right side of the FACTS™, they aren't using it to actually, you know, get more police. They are reducing their police force. But, hey, technically downsizing isn't defunding, right? That downsizing is just a coincidence. Don't worry, though... while you repeat the FACTS™ about their budget increasing, I'm sure some nice corporate contractor is somehow finding new ways to funnel money from the taxpayers while crime continues to skyrocket. And I'm not even going to mention the problems the defund the police movement has created for cops who are now too afraid to police. Gotta love dem FACTS™.

LOL

Police forces nationwide struggled to maintain numbers during Covid and many have struggled ever since. 

Including Chicago. 
Nothing to do with "defunding." 
They are actively recruiting but can't get enough officers to fill the vacancies. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/chi...o-suburbs/
(07-18-2023, 02:19 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-17-2023, 09:40 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]LOL

The y axis origin of a graph like this should be either 0 or 12,154
9000 was picked to make the data look worse than it is.
We also don't know if "sworn police officers" are getting more specialized.  Perhaps some tasks they used to do are now done by other types of police department employees

But mostly

None of us are in Chicago.
None of the politicians any of us might vote for have anything to do with Chicago.
Pages: 1 2