Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Tragic horse racing injury
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yesterday I witnessed the most devastating thing I've seen in sports for as long as I can remember. A filly named Maple Leaf Mel was racing at Saratoga in her biggest race to date. She was undefeated in 5 starts and a co-favorite in this race. What made this horse so special was the bond she and her trainer, Melanie Giddings shared. Giddings had been an assistant trainer for years prior to being diagnosed with Stage 4 ovarian and cervical cancer in 2020. She endured several rounds of chemotherapy yet miraculously recovered this past year and went into remission. Bill Parcells heard about her story and bought this horse and she was made head trainer. Parcells refers to Giddings as his 4th daughter due to their special bond. 

In yesterday's race Maple Leaf Mel fought off the challenge from several horses, including co-favorite Pretty Mischievous and was literally one step from crossing the finish line when she stumbled causing the jockey to fall to the turf. The injury to her right leg was so severe that she had to be humanely euthanized shortly after. What would have been a joyous occasion to all associated with this horse turned into their worst nightmare. My guess is that Parcells would say this was the worst moment of his entire sports life- much worse than any losses he suffered as an NFL head coach. 

I share this story because it puts our love of sports in perspective. As devastated as our fans felt following heartbreaking losses (Titans 1999, Patriots 2018, etc), these were still just football games and not a matter of life and death. Sure, I'll still be heartbroken if the 2023-24 Jaguars make it to the AFC Championship or Super Bowl and lose. That being said, it takes incidents like yesterday's horse race to remind us that while being a huge sports fan is a great hobby and distraction it is not a matter of life and death when our team loses. 

To end on a more positive note, what happened this morning regarding this incident demonstrates the true meaning of sportsmanship. The trainer of the winning horse, Pretty Mischievous, presented Giddings with the winning wreath after consoling her and saying the best horse didn't win. The trainer, Brendan Walsh, then said how he'd give anything for his horse to have finished 2nd in that race. Of course, Giddings will never totally get over what happened to the horse she loved but Walsh''s incredible gesture will hopefully help her begin to overcome her grief.
(08-06-2023, 01:46 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: [ -> ]Yesterday I witnessed the most devastating thing I've seen in sports for as long as I can remember. A filly named Maple Leaf Mel was racing at Saratoga in her biggest race to date. She was undefeated in 5 starts and a co-favorite in this race. What made this horse so special was the bond she and her trainer, Melanie Giddings shared. Giddings had been an assistant trainer for years prior to being diagnosed with Stage 4 ovarian and cervical cancer in 2020. She endured several rounds of chemotherapy yet miraculously recovered this past year and went into remission. Bill Parcells heard about her story and bought this horse and she was made head trainer. Parcells refers to Giddings as his 4th daughter due to their special bond. 

In yesterday's race Maple Leaf Mel fought off the challenge from several horses, including co-favorite Pretty Mischievous and was literally one step from crossing the finish line when she stumbled causing the jockey to fall to the turf. The injury to her right leg was so severe that she had to be humanely euthanized shortly after. What would have been a joyous occasion to all associated with this horse turned into their worst nightmare. My guess is that Parcells would say this was the worst moment of his entire sports life- much worse than any losses he suffered as an NFL head coach. 

I share this story because it puts our love of sports in perspective. As devastated as our fans felt following heartbreaking losses (Titans 1999, Patriots 2018, etc), these were still just football games and not a matter of life and death. Sure, I'll still be heartbroken if the 2023-24 Jaguars make it to the AFC Championship or Super Bowl and lose. That being said, it takes incidents like yesterday's horse race to remind us that while being a huge sports fan is a great hobby and distraction it is not a matter of life and death when our team loses. 

To end on a more positive note, what happened this morning regarding this incident demonstrates the true meaning of sportsmanship. The trainer of the winning horse, Pretty Mischievous, presented Giddings with the winning wreath after consoling her and saying the best horse didn't win. The trainer, Brendan Walsh, then said how he'd give anything for his horse to have finished 2nd in that race. Of course, Giddings will never totally get over what happened to the horse she loved but Walsh''s incredible gesture will hopefully help her begin to overcome her grief.

"Seventh horse dies at Saratoga Race Course in less than a month"  -- They simply need to abolish this sport, which is infested within greedy owners and trainers.

On a secondary note, instead of giving the Wreath, perhaps fork over the $500,000 in prize money the horse would have earned for the 1st place finish.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/202...an-a-month
(08-07-2023, 04:25 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-06-2023, 01:46 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: [ -> ]Yesterday I witnessed the most devastating thing I've seen in sports for as long as I can remember. A filly named Maple Leaf Mel was racing at Saratoga in her biggest race to date. She was undefeated in 5 starts and a co-favorite in this race. What made this horse so special was the bond she and her trainer, Melanie Giddings shared. Giddings had been an assistant trainer for years prior to being diagnosed with Stage 4 ovarian and cervical cancer in 2020. She endured several rounds of chemotherapy yet miraculously recovered this past year and went into remission. Bill Parcells heard about her story and bought this horse and she was made head trainer. Parcells refers to Giddings as his 4th daughter due to their special bond. 

"Seventh horse dies at Saratoga Race Course in less than a month"  -- They simply need to abolish this sport, which is infested within greedy owners and trainers.

On a secondary note, instead of giving the Wreath, perhaps fork over the $500,000 in prize money the horse would have earned for the 1st place finish.

It's not so much the owners or the trainers, it's the breeders. Racehorses are coveted for wine stem legs which allows them to run faster because of lower mass. As a result, breeders are producing horses with increasingly thinner lower legs, thus, more fractures.
(08-07-2023, 04:33 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-07-2023, 04:25 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]"Seventh horse dies at Saratoga Race Course in less than a month"  -- They simply need to abolish this sport, which is infested within greedy owners and trainers.

It's not so much the owners or the trainers, it's the breeders. Racehorses are coveted for wine stem legs which allows them to run faster because of lower mass. As a result, breeders are producing horses with increasingly thinner lower legs, thus, more fractures.

Interesting fact.   I guess, all 3 have some blood on their hands.
Animals should never be put in any sport. That in itself is inhumane.
The horse was killed as humanely as possible. It's sad. There will always be sad things though. In our lifetime we have seen dogfighting go away, then dog racing. Maybe horse racing will be next. But we all still eat meat so I'm kind of meh about it. I do want to minimize the suffering of all animals, but horses are domesticated. There is nothing wrong with a human using a horse for entertainment as long as the horse's suffering is minimized.