Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Calvin Ridleys Route Running Ability
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just another video to get hyped about the season, man I really hope Ridley is still the same player dudes so smooth with it.

I’ve heard a few espn guys say his route running is top 5 in the league. He’s about to open things up offensively.
Ridley has shown up and shown out at every opportunity thus far. He had one day of drops in camp coming off of a tweaked toe from ill fitting cleats. Got right back on track immediately following.
He acts like he wants to prove something and he has talent in spades.
Every indication is he'll be a legit threat that forces defenses to pay close attention. They either double him and get burned by other targets (of which we have plenty) or he'll eat. I don't really see any other outcome barring key injuries.
(08-09-2023, 10:12 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Ridley has shown up and shown out at every opportunity thus far. He had one day of drops in camp coming off of a tweaked toe from ill fitting cleats. Got right back one track immediately following.
Every indication is he'll be a legit threat that forces defenses to pay close attention. They either double him and get burned by other targets (of which we have plenty) or he'll eat. I don't really see any other outcome barring key injuries.

Along with very good WR/TE depth and RBs that are looking to have some layers. Doug is going to have all kinds of offensive weapons at his disposal.
(08-09-2023, 10:21 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-09-2023, 10:12 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Ridley has shown up and shown out at every opportunity thus far. He had one day of drops in camp coming off of a tweaked toe from ill fitting cleats. Got right back one track immediately following.

Along with very good WR/TE depth and RBs that are looking to have some layers. Doug is going to have all kinds of offensive weapons at his disposal.

If our pass rush can pull there socks up as well as the oline we got ourselves a damn good team
So you’re saying we’ll be shipping off our second round pick to Atlanta?
(08-09-2023, 11:16 PM)GaJag Wrote: [ -> ]So you’re saying we’ll be shipping off our second round pick to Atlanta?

I hope so.  But I don't think we will give him an extension until after this season.
Reminds me of Matt Jones.
(08-09-2023, 08:46 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]I’ve heard a few espn guys say his route running is top 5 in the league. He’s about to open things up offensively.

I don't know if I can really judge route running all that well but he has a different look to him. Very smooth and fluid and gets out of his breaks so cleanly. Reminds me a little of J-Smooth.
(08-10-2023, 10:51 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-09-2023, 08:46 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]I’ve heard a few espn guys say his route running is top 5 in the league. He’s about to open things up offensively.

I don't know if I can really judge route running all that well but he has a different look to him. Very smooth and fluid and gets out of his breaks so cleanly. Reminds me a little of J-Smooth.

Recent quote from Doug Pederson paraphrased:
 - the way he explodes off of the LOS, I can see where that could be terrifying to defenders
(08-10-2023, 11:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-10-2023, 10:51 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know if I can really judge route running all that well but he has a different look to him. Very smooth and fluid and gets out of his breaks so cleanly. Reminds me a little of J-Smooth.

Recent quote from Doug Pederson paraphrased:
 - the way he explodes off of the LOS, I can see where that could be terrifying to defenders

No doubt. He good.
(08-10-2023, 09:14 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]https://twitter.com/JStCyrTV/status/1689...02624?s=20

Don't think i've ever been more excited for a trade/free agent pickup since being a jaguars fan than this guy. He's got the ability to be a real star and he was unreal with a declining Matt Ryan, can only imagine what he will look like with a guy who is on the rise.

I don't rermember if the video was posted on here or somewhere else but I remember seeing a video from training camp last week where Zay Jones ran a route, and then was followed by Ridley doing the same exact route and it was like night and day, he made Zay look like a random off the street with how explosive he was with it. And for what it's worth Zay's no slouch.
(08-10-2023, 01:39 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-10-2023, 09:14 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]https://twitter.com/JStCyrTV/status/1689...02624?s=20

Don't think i've ever been more excited for a trade/free agent pickup since being a jaguars fan than this guy. He's got the ability to be a real star and he was unreal with a declining Matt Ryan, can only imagine what he will look like with a guy who is on the rise.

I don't rermember if the video was posted on here or somewhere else but I remember seeing a video from training camp last week where Zay Jones ran a route, and then was followed by Ridley doing the same exact route and it was like night and day, he made Zay look like a random off the street with how explosive he was with it. And for what it's worth Zay's no slouch.

It was an undefended drill. Players don't always go full speed in those. Not really as stark a contrast as ppl want to make it out to be. Players sometimes focus on particular technical aspects of the route in those drills as they are being coached up. 

Ridley is def quicker off the line and more sudden out of cuts, so he looks different for good reason, but I doubt that was Zay going all out in that clip. 

Speed and suddenness aside, Zay is a master technician of route running and was among the best in the league at separation last year. He ranked around 12-14th in the league in average separation at point of catch. That is REALLY good for your 3rd WR.
(08-10-2023, 02:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-10-2023, 01:39 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Don't think i've ever been more excited for a trade/free agent pickup since being a jaguars fan than this guy. He's got the ability to be a real star and he was unreal with a declining Matt Ryan, can only imagine what he will look like with a guy who is on the rise.

It was an undefended drill. Players don't always go full speed in those. Not really as stark a contrast as ppl want to make it out to be. Players sometimes focus on particular technical aspects of the route in those drills as they are being coached up. 

Ridley is def quicker off the line and more sudden out of cuts, so he looks different for good reason, but I doubt that was Zay going all out in that clip. 

Speed and suddenness aside, Zay is a master technician of route running and was among the best in the league at separation last year. He ranked around 12-14th in the league in average separation at point of catch. That is REALLY good for your 3rd WR.

Yeah I know I like Zay, I just think Ridley is gonna be insane.
Meh! I could cover him.
(08-10-2023, 10:51 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]

Theres a bunch of videos dedicated to showing his route running in all-22 film, his ability to find a hole and seperate himself on his breaks are as good as anyone in the league. He's like Davante Adams if Adams was fast.

(08-11-2023, 04:25 PM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]Meh! I could cover him.

Tyson Campbell spotted.
They said Zay out in about 10 pounds of muscle up top. These 3 receivers are about to put the league on notice. Pick your poison.