Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: First Impressions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The Good:

The offensive line allowed 0 sacks. I know players didn’t suit up, but that’s not our problem. 

The defense had 4 sacks and an interception. Hamilton is going to be a stud. Abdullah had 3 tackles and 1 sack and is putting Walker on notice right off rip. He almost had 2 sacks. I have a feeling he will force Walker to switch positions. He puts a lot of pressure on them tackles coming around that edge. He’s just got raw quickness and speed that nobody else on the dline has but that’s also his weakness. They ran RPO right at him all night and he struggled with breaking down and reading the play. He’s got to slow it down upstairs. The days of him using his raw talent are over. Grier ran for a big gain and then Vaughn score  on the same play from a different side.

Trevor played great. All QBs throw interceptions. The Favre’s the Manning’s , Brady’s, etc. they all throw picks. Came back and marched right down the field and dotted it up with Kirk in the corner and followed that up with a dot to Zay for 2. Saw a guy in the Gameday thread worried about an interception in the first preseason game of the season. I’d be more worried if he’s not in the MVP discussion for the next 7 years with 1 or 2 Super Bowl trophies.

Prince is going to make the team. If he catches that TD in bounds the internet would have broke with that 1 handed tip catch. He would probably be most teams TE2. After so many years of disregarding the TE position, all of a sudden they got 3 guys that can get it done. Strange showed strong hands and fluid route running with the ability to get open but he’s an even better blocker. Ain’t no other TE on the team blocking like this dude. Go watch the play where Bigsby busted loose and watch 85 put his guy in a body bag. He manhandle-blocked his guy 25 yards down field. I rewatched it 3 or 4 times. That’s how you block!

Harrison showed enough that we shouldn’t have a drop off since we lost Taylor. It’s crazy how good he moves for his size. Looks like he will fit into the Jaguars culture and scheme nicely. 

Fortner pulled from center on an Etienne run. Pretty cool to see. I think he will be better going into year 2. 

Hodges showed road grading ability. He can probably sneak into the starting lineup down the line for a game or 2. Dude is stout but he needs to get that technique right but he okays hard. Later on he pulled from RG and sprung Johnson for a big gain. Nobody will probably even notice who helped Rourke stay on his feet to throw that dime to Ollison, but it was your hometown boy Hodges. I had to go back and watch it a few times, but what a play by Rourke and a heads-up type of play by Coop. The defender was going to sack Rourke but Hodges lifted the defender up as Rourke was being sacked, it gave him a split hair second longer to throw that Double Cheek Fire Ball Dilfer Dime. Go check it out because it was a heck of a play by Cooper Hodges. 

Little looked just fine at LT. No complaints at all. Cam played LT with the 2s and did fine. 

Oline gave up 0 sacks and all of the RBs combined averaged 4.6 yards per carry. Johnson averaged 6.2, Bigsby averaged 5.8, Etienne averaged 4.4

Tim Jones is back at it again. He forced a fumble on kickoff team. Teams love guys that can contribute on special teams while being a quality backup. 

OLB Coleman had a nice rep on the left side. He missed a sack, but caused enough penatration that the qb was sacked anyway.

Devin Lloyd took on an offensive lineman with same leg-same shoulder technique and then stuffed the RB in the backfield for no gain. Expecting a big year out of him after leading all LB in the NFL with 5 takeaways in 2022. Lloyd and Oluokun gives us a solid LB unit. 

Logan Cooke was dropping nukes. 3 punts for 164 yards with a 54.7 average. Killed one inside the 20. 

The trio of Ridley, Zay, and Kirk are in mid season form. Ridley and Kirk with 2 catches a piece and Kirk with the TD. Zay caught a nice toe toucher for 2 points. Good luck covering all 3 of them all game with Agnew and Engram. 

Rourke is got all kinds of GMs scrambling to make phone calls to the Jaguars to see how much he would cost. If performs next week liek he did this week, then CJ’s job is safe because Rourke will be playing for another franchise. They don’t grow on trees and you find em where you find em. 

The Bad: 

Austin with the dropped balls. In a position battle with guys like Ridley, Kirk, Zay, Washington, Tim Jones, Pryor, you can’t afford any mistakes. He’s probably heading out after that. 

Conner with the fumble. He also averaged 2.1 yards per carry. 

Obviously you always want to clean up the penalties. But hey it’s preseason and that’s what preseason is for. We’ll take the win.
Great write up, miss Bullseyes takes but this was great!

Compared to last year we have SO much depth, don’t know if we’ve EVER looked this good as a TEAM in the preseason.

I think Ridley has some minor groove issues, he caused that INT by Trevor. Trevor should’ve thrown a better ball but Ridley put that CB in position. Just a matter of gelling into the system more so not concerned.

Shoutout to Abdullah I thought he had a strong showing

PENALTIES were the only red flag to me, way too many for a Peterson coaches team that was weird.
Putting Walker on notice. LOL
(08-13-2023, 01:28 AM)MojoKing Wrote: [ -> ]Great write up, miss Bullseyes takes but this was great!

Compared to last year we have SO much depth, don’t know if we’ve EVER looked this good as a TEAM in the preseason.

I think Ridley has some minor groove issues, he caused that INT by Trevor. Trevor should’ve thrown a better ball but Ridley put that CB in position. Just a matter of gelling into the system more so not concerned.

PENALTIES were the only red flag to me, way too many for a Peterson coaches team that was weird.

Ridley didn't cause the INT. TLaw explained during a sideline interview that he was meaning to throw it deeper to Engram but he botched the throw and it ended up way short.

If anything Ridley drew zone coverage away from Engram.  If TLaw had thrown it deeper down the sideline like he meant to, Engram may have gotten a TD.
My first impression was Doug Pederson has a firm grip on this team. No one looked comically out of position and all of the players played hard. At no time during this game did I think ‘yep, another same old sucky Jaguars season full of false hope.’
Our first preseason game was nice. I say nice as our 1's were going against a lot of their 2's. They should look like that. I was pleasantly surprised how the rest of our players performed. The Jags are definitely building depth. I would like to get more excited but putting that on hold till after our Lion experience. Our game against the Lions next week will tell us a lot more. It does appear we have the chance to trade a few surplus players prior to the final cut to get to some draft picks. If this doesn't happen a few of our guys will not clear wavers to get to the practice squad.
(08-13-2023, 07:57 AM)Predator Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-13-2023, 01:28 AM)MojoKing Wrote: [ -> ]Great write up, miss Bullseyes takes but this was great!

Ridley didn't cause the INT. TLaw explained during a sideline interview that he was meaning to throw it deeper to Engram but he botched the throw and it ended up way short.

If anything Ridley drew zone coverage away from Engram.  If TLaw had thrown it deeper down the sideline like he meant to, Engram may have gotten a TD.
How did Ridley draw zone coverage away from Engram when he brought his defender INTO that area….
(08-13-2023, 08:56 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-13-2023, 07:57 AM)Predator Wrote: [ -> ]Ridley didn't cause the INT. TLaw explained during a sideline interview that he was meaning to throw it deeper to Engram but he botched the throw and it ended up way short.

How did Ridley draw zone coverage away from Engram when he brought his defender INTO that area….

I studied it and firmly believe it was magic!  That and TL said that throw was on him and he "babied" the throw.
(08-13-2023, 09:00 AM)Jag149 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-13-2023, 08:56 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]How did Ridley draw zone coverage away from Engram when he brought his defender INTO that area….

I studied it and firmly believe it was magic!  That and TL said that throw was on him and he "babied" the throw.
You will never see Trevor blame another teammate for anything.

Ridley tried to improvise and go up field but didn’t realize that’s where Engrams route was leading.

This is what preseason is for.
(08-13-2023, 12:52 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]The Good:

The offensive line allowed 0 sacks. I know players didn’t suit up, but that’s not our problem. 

The defense had 4 sacks and an interception. Hamilton is going to be a stud. Abdullah had 3 tackles and 1 sack and is putting Walker on notice right off rip. He almost had 2 sacks. I have a feeling he will force Walker to switch positions. He puts a lot of pressure on them tackles coming around that edge. He’s just got raw quickness and speed that nobody else on the dline has but that’s also his weakness. They ran RPO right at him all night and he struggled with breaking down and reading the play. He’s got to slow it down upstairs. The days of him using his raw talent are over. Grier ran for a big gain and then Vaughn score  on the same play from a different side.

Trevor played great. All QBs throw interceptions. The Favre’s the Manning’s , Brady’s, etc. they all throw picks. Came back and marched right down the field and dotted it up with Kirk in the corner and followed that up with a dot to Zay for 2. Saw a guy in the Gameday thread worried about an interception in the first preseason game of the season. I’d be more worried if he’s not in the MVP discussion for the next 7 years with 1 or 2 Super Bowl trophies.

Prince is going to make the team. If he catches that TD in bounds the internet would have broke with that 1 handed tip catch. He would probably be most teams TE2. After so many years of disregarding the TE position, all of a sudden they got 3 guys that can get it done. Strange showed strong hands and fluid route running with the ability to get open but he’s an even better blocker. Ain’t no other TE on the team blocking like this dude. Go watch the play where Bigsby busted loose and watch 85 put his guy in a body bag. He manhandle-blocked his guy 25 yards down field. I rewatched it 3 or 4 times. That’s how you block!

Harrison showed enough that we shouldn’t have a drop off since we lost Taylor. It’s crazy how good he moves for his size. Looks like he will fit into the Jaguars culture and scheme nicely. 

Fortner pulled from center on an Etienne run. Pretty cool to see. I think he will be better going into year 2. 

Hodges showed road grading ability. He can probably sneak into the starting lineup down the line for a game or 2. Dude is stout but he needs to get that technique right but he okays hard. Later on he pulled from RG and sprung Johnson for a big gain. Nobody will probably even notice who helped Rourke stay on his feet to throw that dime to Ollison, but it was your hometown boy Hodges. I had to go back and watch it a few times, but what a play by Rourke and a heads-up type of play by Coop. The defender was going to sack Rourke but Hodges lifted the defender up as Rourke was being sacked, it gave him a split hair second longer to throw that Double Cheek Fire Ball Dilfer Dime. Go check it out because it was a heck of a play by Cooper Hodges. 

Little looked just fine at LT. No complaints at all. Cam played LT with the 2s and did fine. 

Oline gave up 0 sacks and all of the RBs combined averaged 4.6 yards per carry. Johnson averaged 6.2, Bigsby averaged 5.8, Etienne averaged 4.4

Tim Jones is back at it again. He forced a fumble on kickoff team. Teams love guys that can contribute on special teams while being a quality backup. 

OLB Coleman had a nice rep on the left side. He missed a sack, but caused enough penatration that the qb was sacked anyway.

Devin Lloyd took on an offensive lineman with same leg-same shoulder technique and then stuffed the RB in the backfield for no gain. Expecting a big year out of him after leading all LB in the NFL with 5 takeaways in 2022. Lloyd and Oluokun gives us a solid LB unit. 

Logan Cooke was dropping nukes. 3 punts for 164 yards with a 54.7 average. Killed one inside the 20. 

The trio of Ridley, Zay, and Kirk are in mid season form. Ridley and Kirk with 2 catches a piece and Kirk with the TD. Zay caught a nice toe toucher for 2 points. Good luck covering all 3 of them all game with Agnew and Engram. 

Rourke is got all kinds of GMs scrambling to make phone calls to the Jaguars to see how much he would cost. If performs next week liek he did this week, then CJ’s job is safe because Rourke will be playing for another franchise. They don’t grow on trees and you find em where you find em. 

The Bad: 

Austin with the dropped balls. In a position battle with guys like Ridley, Kirk, Zay, Washington, Tim Jones, Pryor, you can’t afford any mistakes. He’s probably heading out after that. 

Obviously you always want to clean up the penalties. But hey it’s preseason and that’s what preseason is for. We’ll take the win.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

So you guys think we get 2 first rounders or 3 for Rourke? 
Walker might not even make the team 
We have Tony Gonzalez, Gronk and Gates at TE

So many positives from the 1st preseason game
(08-13-2023, 09:27 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]

The Bad: 

Laughing Laughing Laughing

So you guys think we get 2 first rounders or 3 for Rourke? 
Walker might not even make the team 
We have Tony Gonzalez, Gronk and Gates at TE

So many positives from the 1st preseason game

Not even close to what he said but ok.
I was very encouraged by a lot of the things I saw, but I suspect the Cowboys were a little further down their depth chart than we were for most of the game.
I think we can definitely say our depth, especially at D and receiver, is better than last season.
How much better remains to be seen. That's why we have 2 more games.
Yasir Abdullah Could be a contributor

The Bad: 

I had the game on at work yesterday but couldn't pay close attention much of the time.
I'll post comments after rewatching.

A few things though -
Abdullah hasn't put anyone on notice yet, but if he does it would be Chaisson, not Walker. 

We are more likely to replace CJ with Rourke than to deal Rourke away IMO. We signed him to a 3 year deal when we brought him in. 

Defensively - our LBs, nickels, and safeties absolutely have to get better at defending the middle of the field.
Anton played very well.

Jags loaded at WR.

Time to cut Chaisson and sign a vet pass rusher (like 90% of the board has been saying for months).
(08-13-2023, 07:57 AM)Predator Wrote: [ -> ]

As someone once said, Trevor struggles on accuracy rolling to his left.

Dunno who said it but someone said it.
(08-13-2023, 02:01 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-13-2023, 07:57 AM)Predator Wrote: [ -> ]Ridley didn't cause the INT. TLaw explained during a sideline interview that he was meaning to throw it deeper to Engram but he botched the throw and it ended up way short.

99% of right handed QBs struggle with it.
Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back about not understanding that.

Combined rolling and pocket passes in Lawrence's 2022 season to that area of the field where he threw the pick yesterday - he is 23 QB rating points above the league average.
(08-13-2023, 02:01 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]

https://x.com/devywarehouse/status/10436...915L-t18Xg

https://x.com/scout_aldomu/status/143016...915L-t18Xg

https://x.com/apthirteen/status/14497661...915L-t18Xg

https://x.com/bcarr_13/status/1574816656...915L-t18Xg
(08-13-2023, 02:26 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-13-2023, 02:01 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]As someone once said, Trevor struggles on accuracy rolling to his left.

https://x.com/devywarehouse/status/10436...915L-t18Xg

I don't know what's more impressive, Trevor dropping dimes while rolling to his left, or your ability to find so many videos talking about Trevor dropping dimes while rolling to his left.
(08-13-2023, 02:30 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-13-2023, 02:26 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]https://x.com/devywarehouse/status/10436...915L-t18Xg

I don't know what's more impressive, Trevor dropping dimes while rolling to his left, or your ability to find so many videos talking about Trevor dropping dimes while rolling to his left.
Took me 10 seconds lol

Just typed in “Lawrence rolling to left” on Twitter and wouldn’t you know it…. Many videos popped up!
Pages: 1 2 3