Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: CB#3-CB#7 - 2023
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
last year the Jags initially kept 7 CBs on their 53 man roster 

Could do so again depending on who they keep and who they label a Safety or CB

We know Ty Campbell and D Williams are locks to start outside, so how will it shake out from there down the depth chart?

Candidates include

Tre Herndon (vet who knows the system - but loses in coverage too often)
Tevaughn Campbell - Canadian transplant player with experience but talent level is questionable
Montaric Brown - 2nd year guy making some splashes in camp - still unproven with a ways to go
Gregory Junior - 2nd year guy getting looks at nickel in camp - showing some promise 
Erick Hallett - rookie safety/CB hybrid drawing praise from coaches throughout camp
Christian Braswell - rookie who missed 2 weeks of camp - but now looks like he's in the mx to compete for a spot
Claybrooks - 4th year guy who looks to be losing the backup returner role to Parker Washington and losing depth snaps to younger players with upside

Antonio Johnson is listed as a safety - so if you add him to this list - you are assuming the team keeps 4 safeties and 7 CBs that may include Johnson. If you assume Johnson makes it as a safety - the team might only keep 6 CBs. 

Rookies Divaad Wilson and Kaled Hayes round out the camp depth and are long shots for the 53. 

Name three of these guys you are keeping on the roster. 
Campbell
Williams
Junior
Hallett
Braswell

Cisco
Jenkins
Dewey
Johnson

PS - Tevaughn, Montaric

Herndon and Claybrooks are out, one of those UDAs probably goes to the Squad. I think they scour the wire for another safety.
Campbell is the CB1 & Darious Williams is the CB2 I agree those are locks on the outside. Disregarding nickel I think the rest of the group should be ordered as such:

CB #3 - Greg Junior - done well in camp, ran with the 1's, showed a nose for the ball on both defense and ST's making big plays around turnovers! He's an incredible athlete from a lower division school and the game is slowing down for him.
CB #4 - Tre Herndon - vet who knows all 3 spots and can help diffuse knowledge in a young room. He's not the starter or even the nickel, but can be adequate if someone needs a breather or he has to spell for an injury; fine as depth.
CB #5 - Montaric Brown - flashed in camp so far; I really liked some of his tape at the end of last year. I think there's some things to build on.
CB #6 - Antonio Johnson - I think he plays a role as a "Big Nickel" who they're grooming to cover TE's and larger sized guys who line up in the slot to negate matchup problems. Might be inactive a lot or up on gameday depending on matchups.

It really depends on if they consider Johnson and Hallett safeties or CB's. I think they keep 6 CB's to start the year and could easily see them going younger and getting off Tre Herndon as he is what he is at this point and if you can get similar production for cheaper; not to mention on a rookie contract with more team control.

As for the Safeties I think they keep 5: Cisco, Jenkins, Daniel Thomas, Wingard, Antonio Johnson/Hallett
On the initial 53 announced last year, the Jags kept 6 CBs (Griffin, Campbell, Williams, Herndon, Claybrooks, and Brown) and 5 Ss (Jenkins, Cisco, Thomas, Wingard, and Thompson).

If they keep the same initial numbers in the secondary, I would guess...

CBs:
Campbell- Tyson is a lock on the outside.
Williams- lock opposite Tyson.
Herndon- versatile and Junior not quite ready to start at nickel.
Junior- developing small schooler, will challenge for nickel and play ST.
Claybrooks- only 25 with speed, good ST and provides vet backup.
Brown- tough choice with Braswell and Hallett challenging for final spot.

Ss:
Jenkins- lock for a starter role.
Cisco- promising young ball hawk.
Wingard- highly valued STer with starting safety experience.
Thomas- experienced former 5th rounder with ST skills.
Johnson- has shined in camp and outplaying his draft position thus far.
Definites: Tyson Campbell, D. Williams, Junior at corner

Jenkins, Cisco Wingard and A. Johnson at safety

Likely: Herndon and Brown at corner

Toss-up: Braswell, Hallett and Thomas ( 2 should make it from this group)

Don't rule out someone being added to roster from free agency or after cuts. Bryce Callahan is a possibility depending on what they think about Junior's progress.
How did the younger dbs look? Couldn't see the full game just the highlights so was a bit difficult to see much of anything... hoping someone shines enough to demote Herndon to backup.
(08-14-2023, 01:29 PM)Firesky Wrote: [ -> ]Campbell is the CB1 & Darious Williams is the CB2 I agree those are locks on the outside. Disregarding nickel I think the rest of the group should be ordered as such:

CB #3 - Greg Junior - done well in camp, ran with the 1's, showed a nose for the ball on both defense and ST's making big plays around turnovers! He's an incredible athlete from a lower division school and the game is slowing down for him.
CB #4 - Tre Herndon - vet who knows all 3 spots and can help diffuse knowledge in a young room. He's not the starter or even the nickel, but can be adequate if someone needs a breather or he has to spell for an injury; fine as depth.
CB #5 - Montaric Brown - flashed in camp so far; I really liked some of his tape at the end of last year. I think there's some things to build on.
CB #6 - Antonio Johnson - I think he plays a role as a "Big Nickel" who they're grooming to cover TE's and larger sized guys who line up in the slot to negate matchup problems. Might be inactive a lot or up on gameday depending on matchups.

It really depends on if they consider Johnson and Hallett safeties or CB's. I think they keep 6 CB's to start the year and could easily see them going younger and getting off Tre Herndon as he is what he is at this point and if you can get similar production for cheaper; not to mention on a rookie contract with more team control.

As for the Safeties I think they keep 5: Cisco, Jenkins, Daniel Thomas, Wingard, Antonio Johnson/Hallett

Is it normal to keep 11 DB's? That seems like a lot.

I mean if they are going to carry 3 QB's aren't they already gonna be squeezed by the roster limit?
(08-14-2023, 05:44 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]How did the younger dbs look? Couldn't see the full game just the highlights so was a bit difficult to see much of anything... hoping someone shines enough to demote Herndon to backup.

Haven't watched the replay enough to analyze DB play, but Braswell had a late game pick at nickel stepping in front of an ill advised to throw to a simple curl route to the slot, Greg Junior made a couple plays (one on ST) , I need to watch the replay for Hallett and Johnson sightings.

(08-14-2023, 05:58 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-14-2023, 01:29 PM)Firesky Wrote: [ -> ]Campbell is the CB1 & Darious Williams is the CB2 I agree those are locks on the outside. Disregarding nickel I think the rest of the group should be ordered as such:

Is it normal to keep 11 DB's? That seems like a lot.

I mean if they are going to carry 3 QB's aren't they already gonna be squeezed by the roster limit?

I think it will be ten. 

I mentioned that they had 11 last year to start the year, but it was actually only  6 CBs and 4 safeties. 
(my bad!)

I botched the math by adding both Shaq Griffin and the player brought up after he was IR'd
The contract says Herndon is here week 1. Perhaps he's traded for a 7th to a CB needy team if the young guys have clearly outplayed him, but I can't imagine signing a guy to a 1 year fully guaranteed $2.5 million dollar contract earlier this offseason and then cutting him loose before the season starts. He'd have to be a head case off the field or his play would have to have significantly declined from last year.
(08-14-2023, 06:09 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]The contract says Herndon is here week 1.  Perhaps he's traded for a 7th to a CB needy team if the young guys have clearly outplayed him, but I can't imagine signing a guy to a 1 year fully guaranteed $2.5 million dollar contract earlier this offseason and then cutting him loose before the season starts.  He'd have to be a head case off the field or his play would have to have significantly declined from last year.

The amount of money they paid Herndon above vet minimum is equal to 0.6% of the salary cap. 

I don't think they'll bat an eyelash as letting that money walk out the door if a younger player is clearly outperforming him. 

It's an interesting situation to watch though. So many guys competing for 4 spots on the roster. 

Herndon has a good chance to be among the four IMO because of his experience playing inside and outside in this scheme  - and the probability of at least 3 of the other guys on the depth chart being young/inexperienced.
(08-14-2023, 01:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]last year the Jags initially kept 7 CBs on their 53 man roster 

We know Ty Campbell and D Williams are locks to start outside, so how will it shake out from there down the depth chart?

Candidates include

Tevaughn Campbell - Canadian transplant player with experience but talent level is questionable
Montaric Brown - 2nd year guy making some splashes in camp - still unproven with a ways to go
Gregory Junior - 2nd year guy getting looks at nickel in camp - showing some promise 
Erick Hallett - rookie safety/CB hybrid drawing praise from coaches throughout camp
Christian Braswell - rookie who missed 2 weeks of camp - but now looks like he's in the mx to compete for a spot
Claybrooks - 4th year guy who looks to be losing the backup returner role to Parker Washington and losing depth snaps to younger players with upside

Antonio Johnson is listed as a safety - so if you add him to this list - you are assuming the team keeps 4 safeties and 7 CBs that may include Johnson. If you assume Johnson makes it as a safety - the team might only keep 6 CBs. 

Rookies Divaad Wilson and Kaled Hayes round out the camp depth and are long shots for the 53. 

Tre Herndon, Gregory Junior, Antonio Johnson 

I put Erick Hallett and Trevaughn Campbell on  the practice squad. 

I think Claybrooks is out. He doesn’t fit the culture any longer with his run ins with the law.

Herndon’s veteran experience is what helps him, along with him being able to play both corner spots and/or nickel. He can also give you a start here and there if a starting CB gets sidelined with an injury.

Junior has made the biggest improvements in the group, so he gets the nod for now.

Antonio Johnson is the best of the rookie safeties so he gets the nod here.
(08-14-2023, 01:22 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Campbell
Williams
Junior
Hallett
Braswell

Cisco
Jenkins
Dewey
Johnson

PS - Tevaughn, Montaric

Herndon and Claybrooks are out, one of those UDAs probably goes to the Squad. I think they scour the wire for another safety.

This is the way.

(08-14-2023, 05:44 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]How did the younger dbs look? Couldn't see the full game just the highlights so was a bit difficult to see much of anything... hoping someone shines enough to demote Herndon to backup.

Johnson lead the defense in tackles with 8+. One of which was a pretty good lick. 
Junior made two really good plays to get the football back. 
Braswell had two calls go against him early but made up for it with an INT later on in the game. 
Hallett was okay. I don't remember seeing him around the football too much.
Whether people like it or not, I think Herndon is a lock at either #3 or #4. He'll be depth at the very least. Vet with experience. Appeared in 67 games with 30 starts.

Also this from Doug.
https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...9020818432
(08-14-2023, 11:14 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]Whether people like it or not, I think Herndon is a lock at either #3 or #4. He'll be depth at the very least. Vet with experience. Appeared in 67 games with 30 starts.

Also this from Doug.

I don't care if he's a backup, depth whatever.. just don't really want him starting at nickel after how piss poor he was last season.
(08-14-2023, 11:19 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-14-2023, 11:14 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]Whether people like it or not, I think Herndon is a lock at either #3 or #4. He'll be depth at the very least. Vet with experience. Appeared in 67 games with 30 starts.

Also this from Doug.

I don't care if he's a backup, depth whatever.. just don't really want him starting at nickel after how piss poor he was last season.

Well unless Greg Junior seriously impresses in these next two games, it's highly likely Herndon will be starting on the inside come week 1.
(08-14-2023, 11:19 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]

Also this from Doug.

Who do you think it should be then? It's quite possible that starting Herndon means we have a weakness at nickel but that's a different question from asking who's the best current nickel on our roster. 

Locks to make the roster: 

CB1: Tyson Campbell
CB2: Darious Williams
CB3: Tre Herndon

S1: Andre Cisco
S2: Rayshawn Jenkins
S3: Dewey Wingard

The rest are open and will depend on how guys perform in the next two games. I think Claybrooks and Daniel Thomas could be cut because they're veteran players without much starting experience. Some churn at the bottom of the depth chart is expected to search for potential.
(08-14-2023, 11:21 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-14-2023, 11:19 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]I don't care if he's a backup, depth whatever.. just don't really want him starting at nickel after how piss poor he was last season.

Well unless Greg Junior seriously impresses in these next two games, it's highly likely Herndon will be starting on the inside come week 1.

Ballou talked about this for 10 minutes last night. Said that Junior has the NB spot on lockdown already with his camp work, so we'll see. I've said all off-season that the two draftees from last year were going to step up and push some older guys out. I think Herndon, Claybrooks, and Thomas are bubble guys today at best.
I think Junior has the nickel spot for now but I think Herndon still makes the team.
(08-14-2023, 01:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]last year the Jags initially kept 7 CBs on their 53 man roster 

Candidates include

Herndon, Junior and Johnson are in. Brown and Hallett deserve a lot of consideration, though. I'd give the edge to Brown due to experience, but Hallett will probably get called up from PS if anyone is out with injury for an extended time.

Between Agnew and Washington, I think Claybrooks is quite expendable now. Herndon is a very sure tackler and I think that gives him the edge over some of the younger guys.
Pages: 1 2 3