Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Meet your CB3…Impressions after Lions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I would like to introduce everyone to your new CB3 for 2023, Greg Junior.

After 2 preseason games: 

Forced Fumbles - 1
Fumble Recoveries - 1
Interceptions  -  1
Passes Defended - 1
Tackles - 4

Junior is making plays out there. 

Here are some other players that stood out @ Detroit Preseason game #2:

6’4 Cooks is probably going to get that final WR spot. He could be an excellent WR5 in a set where Coach P wants to open them up and go 5 wide. With Washington working the sticks and the underneath stuff and Cooks stretching the field and using his big frame against another teams 4th CB. Maybe a little motion involved. He appears to have good hands and can run for his size. Cooks is averaging 27.8 yards per catch. He has 4 receptions for 111 yards. 

Washington with the TD reception shows his ability to operate in small areas and use his shiftiness and agility to turn up field and YAC them to death. He touched the football 6 times and was able to rack up 82 yards and a touchdown. 

Cam Robinson got some work at LT and he looked good. He almost got beat on an inside swim move but Beathard was able to step up and throw and TD pass to Washington. 

Walker Little started at LG and he did his job. He gives us flexibility along the offensive line. He can play left guard, left tackle, and right tackle. He starting to remind me a little bit of Ben Coleman. Little did give up a sack from the LG spot.

Bigsby is going to be fun to watch this year in this offense. He’s another weapon for Lawrence and he can pick up the tough yards between the tackles or get out on the perimeter and make a move and pick up a quick 12 yards. He’s got good vision and a good Shady McCoy type juke button.

Miller with another sack from the LB position. But his best play of the preseason came on the opening kickoff. You’ve got to go watch the play…he was getting blocked by 2 guys at one time, and he was able to grab the ball carrier with 1 arm to slow him up enough for a teammate to make the tackle. What a heck of a play. Miller has a total of 4 tackles and 2 sacks.  

Vohasek reminds me of a Derek Landri. Undersized DT that can penetrate and cause some plays to stuffed in the backfield. 

Tim Jones just continues to make plays. Last week he caused a fumble on kickoff team and this week he comes up with a big catch of 40+ yards. He made the catch against Stephon Gilmore.

How about Johnson? He’s making the most of his chances. Johnson is averaging 6 yards per carry. He’s carried the ball 11 times for 66 yards and 2 touchdowns. He also has 3 receptions for 14 yards. 

Bigsby has 22 rushes for 122 yards with an average of 5.5 yards per carry. 

Strange has 5 receptions for 31 yards.

This roster is deep and they gotta cut some good players. I know it’s preseason but a dub is a dub, and I’ll take a 2-0 start.
Better gets used to dubs guys.
(08-19-2023, 10:49 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]I would like to introduce everyone to your new CB3 for 2023, Greg Junior.

After 2 preseason games: 

Forced Fumbles - 1
Fumble Recoveries - 1
Interceptions  -  1
Passes Defended - 1
Tackles - 4

6’4 Cooks is probably going to get that final WR spot. He could be an excellent WR5 in a set where Coach P wants to open them up and go 5 wide. With Washington working the sticks and the underneath stuff and Cooks stretching the field and using his big frame against another teams 4th CB. Maybe a little motion involved. He appears to have good hands and can run for his size. Cooks is averaging 27.8 yards per catch. He has 4 receptions for 111 yards. 

Washington with the TD reception shows his ability to operate in small areas and use his shiftiness and agility to turn up field and YAC them to death. He touched the football 6 times and was able to rack up 82 yards and a touchdown. 

Cam Robinson got some work at LT and he looked good. He almost got beat on an inside swim move but Beathard was able to step up and throw and TD pass to Washington. 

Walker Little started at LG and he did his job. He gives us flexibility along the offensive line. He can play left guard, left tackle, and right tackle. He starting to remind me a little bit of Ben Coleman. Little did give up a sack from the LG spot.

Bigsby is going to be fun to watch this year in this offense. He’s another weapon for Lawrence and he can pick up the tough yards between the tackles or get out on the perimeter and make a move and pick up a quick 12 yards. He’s got good vision and a good Shady McCoy type juke button.

Miller with another sack from the LB position. But his best play of the preseason came on the opening kickoff. You’ve got to go watch the play…he was getting blocked by 2 guys at one time, and he was able to grab the ball carrier with 1 arm to slow him up enough for a teammate to make the tackle. What a heck of a play. Miller has a total of 4 tackles and 2 sacks.  

Vohasek reminds me of a Derek Landri. Undersized DT that can penetrate and cause some plays to stuffed in the backfield. 

Tim Jones just continues to make plays. Last week he caused a fumble on kickoff team and this week he comes up with a big catch of 40+ yards. He made the catch against Stephon Gilmore.

How about Johnson? He’s making the most of his chances. Johnson is averaging 6 yards per carry. He’s carried the ball 11 times for 66 yards and 2 touchdowns. He also has 3 receptions for 14 yards. 

This roster is deep and they gotta cut some good players. I know it’s preseason but a dub is a dub, and I’ll take a 2-0 start.

No, Washington is the 5, Cooks is the 6th at best. Unless you really think Washington forces Agnew off the roster, and that's unlikely.
Junior should be CB 3. He will get beat at times but so does Herndon and JR is only in his 2nd year and looks to be a player on the rise, he's also a playmaker. I really hope Doug makes him CB 3
Junior has turned out to be quite a find. The scout who found him deserves a bonus! He may not start on day 1, but it should only be a matter of time before he replaces Herndon at nickel. The toughest cut will be at the last receiver spot. Cooks, Harris, Mitchell and Tim Jones have all proven worthy of making the 53 man roster. Jones has excelled on special teams, but Cooks and Harris have the height advantage for the red zone. I'm sure some teams will claim a few of the receivers we try to place on the practice squad.
Some other notable players from the game to me not mentioned in the initial post....

Jeremiah Ledbetter, a 2017 6th round draft pick and practice squad veteran for 5 different teams, looked well....very good and had impact. He outplayed my pre-game perceptions of him.

I thought Tyler Lacy, our 4th rounder this year, looked active and stout inside.

DJ Coleman, the undrafted edge LB out of Missouri this year, has good size and was playing with high energy, enough to me to warrant a practice squad spot for further development.

Bobby Evans, who was signed this past week, came in late in the game at OT and did a solid job. I had dissed him at the signing as I had read multiple reports that indicated he had been a turnstile....he proved me wrong in my belief/understanding this game.
So Little at G gave up a sack vs some back up and he now obviously can play G? he was also mediocre at best at RT. He is a LT.
Funny cause I heard Cam Robinson looked bad (not that it really matters).
(08-20-2023, 03:59 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]So Little at G gave up a sack vs some back up and he now obviously can play G? he was also mediocre at best at RT. He is a LT.

https://twitter.com/DanDGriffis/status/1...8389924000
(08-20-2023, 05:15 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-20-2023, 03:59 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]So Little at G gave up a sack vs some back up and he now obviously can play G? he was also mediocre at best at RT. He is a LT.

It was a fun game to watch. It should be interesting vs the dolphins in the last preseason game. As far as little, it would be nice if we can get our best 5 out there on the o line in the middle of the season.
lol at Cam looking good. He looked like trash just like in the first game

[Image: pff-grades-offense-preseason-week-2-v0-o...89e1fd65ac]
What game did you watch where Cam was good? He was the worst player on the field!
Correction, I watched the game again and Blake Hance gave up the sack not Walker Little. The play was in the second quarter with 10:45 on the game clock if anyone wants to check it out.

Little’s guy went for a diving tackle which caused pressure on Beathard so he stepped up in the pocket, Hance’s guy disengaged and made the sack.

Robinson should have been called for a hold on the Washington TD. Refs missed that one.

(08-20-2023, 03:46 PM)ATLjag Wrote: [ -> ]Some other notable players from the game to me not mentioned in the initial post....

Jeremiah Ledbetter, a 2017 6th round draft pick and practice squad veteran for 5 different teams, looked well....very good and had impact.  He outplayed my pre-game perceptions of him. 

I thought Tyler Lacy, our 4th rounder this year, looked active and stout inside.

DJ Coleman, the undrafted edge LB out of Missouri this year, has good size and was playing with high energy, enough to me to warrant a practice squad spot for further development.

Bobby Evans, who was signed this past week, came in late in the game at OT and did a solid job.  I had dissed him at the signing as I had read multiple reports that indicated he had been a turnstile....he proved me wrong in my belief/understanding this game.

I agree on Evans. Also Jordan Smith.
(08-20-2023, 08:22 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]lol at Cam looking good.  He looked like trash just like in the first game

Dang. Look at the receiver grades. All pretty good scores until you get to run blocking. Look at the difference between Tim Jones and the rest and you’ll see why the staff loves him. Also why he came in the game for so many run plays last year.
(08-20-2023, 10:21 PM)Mississippi Jag Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-20-2023, 08:22 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]lol at Cam looking good.  He looked like trash just like in the first game

Dang. Look at the receiver grades. All pretty good scores until you get to run blocking. Look at the difference between Tim Jones and the rest and you’ll see why the staff loves him. Also why he came in the game for so many run plays last year.
Tim Jones is a good blocker but I do remember him getting called for holding in the last game. The announcers blamed it on the RB for not committing to a lane as the RB has to go off what direction the WR is blocking in.
I'm rewatching the condensed version now. Was hit or miss watching Saturday because I had my daughter's birthday party so I couldn't just spend the whole time at the TV lol

Looks like we were getting really good pressure on the Lions OL all game. Not sure if they had any starting OL in but we had no starting DL so that's whatever.

Coverage was tight and defense was flying all over to make tackles.

Absolutely LOVE the amount of deep shots we're taking and Tank is a great find. Him and ETN are going to be a perfect combo and Johnson is going to be the #3 for sure. Tim Jones deep catch *chef's kiss* We definitely have a surplus of talent at WR. Washington is getting that 5th spot but right behind him are all guys who can make some plays. Tim Jones deserves a roster spot somewhere in the league at this point.
Kick coverage needs work

Chirstian Braswell made some plays in the first half.

I love what I'm seeing from Rourke, he's already made the case to carry 3 QBs or even take the backup spot from Beathard. I know they like the veteran presence of CJ but Rourke has more upside and a better skillset with his running ability.

If you PS Jones and Rourke you essentially HAVE to mark them as protected each week. Elijah Cooks looks like a PS stash guy as well
(08-19-2023, 10:49 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]I would like to introduce everyone to your new CB3 for 2023, Greg Junior.

After 2 preseason games: 

Forced Fumbles - 1
Fumble Recoveries - 1
Interceptions  -  1
Passes Defended - 1
Tackles - 4

uh, no. Steven Gilmore is a rookie that played at Stupid Cow U.

@Or was Tim playing against the Cowpokes?@

Sorry, I just wanted to take a moment to ridicule Marshall.  Back to your regularly scheduled discussions.
(08-20-2023, 05:15 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]

Geez thanks lol. So he didn't gave up a sack then?

Anyway, imo this should be irrelevant. Lttle should be the starter at LT, isn't he the future there? and along with Cam suspension...
I don't like Little at G, unless he is gonna stay there, but to make him LT for some games then LG and then LT again next season? (assuming Robinson is gone next year)
(08-21-2023, 12:02 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-20-2023, 05:15 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]https://twitter.com/DanDGriffis/status/1...8389924000

Anyway, imo this should be irrelevant. Lttle should be the starter at LT, isn't he the future there? and along with Cam suspension...
I don't like Little at G unless he is gonna stay there but to make him LT for some games then LG and then LT again next season? (assuming Robinson is gone next year)

Said this for months, if the guy is a left tackle then why on Earth are you doing anything else with him?
(08-21-2023, 12:02 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-20-2023, 05:15 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]https://twitter.com/DanDGriffis/status/1...8389924000

I don't like Little at G unless he is gonna stay there but to make him LT for some games then LG and then LT again next season? (assuming Robinson is gone next year)

That seems to be the plan 

Little plays LT while Cam is suspended, Little plays LG when Cam comes back and then gets LT back next year when Cam is gone. 

Wouldn't have to do all this if Cam didn't suck at playing guard, and unfortunately it appears he sucks at playing tackle now too. 
 (I considered him "solid" with moments of poor play before seeing him get beaten by DET backups) 
Now Im concerned he's just done.
(08-21-2023, 01:42 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-21-2023, 12:02 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]Geez thanks lol. So he didn't gave up a sack then?

That seems to be the plan 

Little plays LT while Cam is suspended, Little plays LG when Cam comes back and then gets LT back next year when Cam is gone. 

Wouldn't have to do all this if Cam didn't suck at playing guard, and unfortunately it appears he sucks at playing tackle now too. 
 (I considered him "solid" with moments of poor play before seeing him get beaten by DET backups) 
Now Im concerned he's just done.

He's not done, he's disengaged. He knows there's no future and the salary was guaranteed. Why play hard and add wear to the body when you'll be looking for work next year?
Pages: 1 2