Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Why did the Jags draft a FULLBACK?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I don't get it.   In the Jags offense they can have Strange or Farrell do what they need Parish to do. 

Anyone think he makes the 53 man roster?
It was the last pick of the draft

They saw potential and grabbed him, if it paid off its a massive steal, if it didn't who cares

Atm he has not done much, he probably ends up practice squad
He won’t make the team or practice squad.

Wasted pick but you can’t hit on all of them.
An a more relevant note…why are we concerned about this four months after the fact?
(08-22-2023, 07:01 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: [ -> ]I don't get it.   In the Jags offense they can have Strange or Farrell do what they need Parish to do. 

Because they had like 8 picks in the last 3 rounds of the draft?

And have you seen what Juzszyck does for the SF offense? 

Shanahan has a RB who is also a WR.
A WR who is also a RB.
And a FB who is also an H-Back, a TE, and a RB.

Opens a lot of creative windows for play design. 
Not a bad flier for a 7th round wing and a prayer pick.
Probably because short yardage situations were so terrible. 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 were rarely converted by us. We don't want to have to go for it on 4th down all the time..
(08-22-2023, 07:01 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: [ -> ]I don't get it.   In the Jags offense they can have Strange or Farrell do what they need Parish to do. 

I dunno that he makes PS, buddy

(08-22-2023, 10:36 PM)RicoTx Wrote: [ -> ]An a more relevant note…why are we concerned about this four months after the fact?

wE cOulDa DarFted [insert hindsight UDFA pick here]
They should give him some playing time at DE where he played looked damn good before he got injured. He had 4.5 sacks in 1 game before the injury and set the AAC record
Because he plays multiple positions and our short yardage game needs the lead blocker.
"That position, we talk about versatility. It's a position that can line up in the backfield, it can line up as a tight end. It could be a third tight end. They play special teams. It's a position that you can do multiple things with. And it's something that having a guy on the roster that can play those positions just opens up your offense just a little bit more." -Pederson (after taking Parish in the draft)

Baalke just after the draft mentioned that in San Francisco, they had drafted Bruce Miller, a 7th round pick converted to FB from college DE at UCF. Miller played about 5 years for the 49ers in both FB and ST roles. Baalke also understood Parish had never played FB and would need time...
"They're similar in size. Derek is even a little faster. But again that's a work in progress. We've got to get him in here and see how he adjusts to that position. And the key thing for him, like it is for a lot of these guys, is what are they going to do on special teams?"

The above was from a John Shipley article on why the Jags drafted Parish and a FB. I think the organization understood that he would be a work in progress, and a practice squad spot (1 of 16) is a definite possibility.
(08-23-2023, 08:22 AM)ATLjag Wrote: [ -> ]"That position, we talk about versatility. It's a position that can line up in the backfield, it can line up as a tight end. It could be a third tight end. They play special teams. It's a position that you can do multiple things with. And it's something that having a guy on the roster that can play those positions just opens up your offense just a little bit more." -Pederson (after taking Parish in the draft)

Baalke just after the draft mentioned that in San Francisco, they had drafted Bruce Miller, a 7th round pick converted to FB from college DE at UCF.  Miller played about 5 years for the 49ers in both FB and ST roles.  Baalke also understood Parish had never played FB and would need time...
"They're similar in size. Derek is even a little faster. But again that's a work in progress. We've got to get him in here and see how he adjusts to that position. And the key thing for him, like it is for a lot of these guys, is what are they going to do on special teams?"

The above was from a John Shipley article on why the Jags drafted Parish and a FB.  I think the organization understood that he would be a work in progress, and a practice squad spot (1 of 16) is a definite possibility.

He should be working on long snapping too.

I stated the same thing when everyone here was so enamored with his workout videos.  Wasted pick.
(08-23-2023, 08:50 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]

I stated the same thing when everyone here was so enamored with his workout videos.  Wasted pick.

Wastes pick on whom??

You think with one of those other people we could of drafted in the 7th round, we could of found some world beater steal of the season type pick?
(08-23-2023, 08:55 AM)StrayaJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-23-2023, 08:50 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]I stated the same thing when everyone here was so enamored with his workout videos.  Wasted pick.

Wastes pick on whom??

You think with one of those other people we could of drafted in the 7th round, we could of found some world beater steal of the season type pick?

I simply don't understand the rationale of selecting a player from a position that is not going to be included in the 53 man roster based on Doug Pederson's offense.  We have other needs that they could have taken flyers on players (eg. OL & DL) but then again, I also thought we should signed a pass rusher in free agency but what do I really know.    I get it, not everything is perfect, just puzzling.
(08-23-2023, 04:32 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-23-2023, 08:55 AM)StrayaJag Wrote: [ -> ]Wastes pick on whom??

I simply don't understand the rationale of selecting a player from a position that is not going to be included in the 53 man roster based on Doug Pederson's offense.  We have other needs that they could have taken flyers on players (eg. OL & DL) but then again, I also thought we should signed a pass rusher in free agency but what do I really know.    I get it, not everything is perfect, just puzzling.

Ummmm, Because Doug Pederson literally uttered the words "it opens your offense up more [if you can find one of those guys]"

He was willing to roll the dice on adding a new facet. That's cool. 

I don't get the consternation over the 4th pick we had in the seventh round, LOL

It was an afterthought wing and a prayer - why not try for something a bit unique? 

Were y'all expecting Brock Purdy?
(08-23-2023, 05:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-23-2023, 04:32 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]I simply don't understand the rationale of selecting a player from a position that is not going to be included in the 53 man roster based on Doug Pederson's offense.  We have other needs that they could have taken flyers on players (eg. OL & DL) but then again, I also thought we should signed a pass rusher in free agency but what do I really know.    I get it, not everything is perfect, just puzzling.

Ummmm, Because Doug Pederson literally uttered the words "it opens your offense up more [if you can find one of those guys]"

He was willing to roll the dice on adding a new facet. That's cool. 

I don't get the consternation over the 4th pick we had in the seventh round, LOL

It was an afterthought wing and a prayer - why not try for something a bit unique? 

Were y'all expecting Brock Purdy?

Nope.  Just a wasted pick.  That's all.

Opens up the offense.  Lol.   We have Trevor, ETN, Ridley, Kirk, Jones, Engram, Strange, Agnew ..... and they were looking to this guy to open up the offense more.

Well, at least we didn't waste a 2nd round pick on him like the Jags did with Greg Jones (913 career rushing yards).
Because the Ouija board told therm too.
He ain’t making practice squad for any NFL team.
Late rounders are a crap shoot.  For every Brock Purdy and Tom Brady, there are a hundred picks that don't make a roster.  It was worth a flyer since he can play offense and defense and contribute on special teams.
(08-23-2023, 10:48 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: [ -> ]Late rounders are a crap shoot.  For every Brock Purdy and Tom Brady, there are a hundred picks that don't make a roster.  It was worth a flyer since he can play offense and defense and contribute on special teams.

So many draft picks. They all can’t make the team.
Pages: 1 2