Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NC congressman introduces 'Stop Pot Act' to curb recreational marijuana legalization
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Probably just trying to make a name for himself........ Get with the times Congress........

NC congressman introduces 'Stop Pot Act' to curb recreational marijuana legalization

Legislation introduced on Friday by a North Carolina congressman seeks to slash a portion of federal funding to individual U.S. states as well as Native tribes that legalize marijuana.
The so-called Stop Pot Act, sponsored by U.S. Rep. Chuck Edwards (R-NC), would withhold 10 percent of federal highway funding to jurisdictions “in which the purchase or public possession of marijuana for recreational purposes is lawful.” Introduction of the bill comes less than a week before a tribe in Edwards’s home state votes on an adult-use marijuana legalization referendum.
Edwards argues that state and tribal laws allowing cannabis use by adults are an affront to U.S. law.

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/gop-cong...marijuana/
There's no going back now.. Big Daddy Gov got a taste of those medical marijuana taxes..

Only a matter of time..
(09-03-2023, 07:21 PM)The Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]Probably just trying to make a name for himself........ Get with the times Congress........

NC congressman introduces 'Stop Pot Act' to curb recreational marijuana legalization

Legislation introduced on Friday by a North Carolina congressman seeks to slash a portion of federal funding to individual U.S. states as well as Native tribes that legalize marijuana.
The so-called Stop Pot Act, sponsored by U.S. Rep. Chuck Edwards (R-NC), would withhold 10 percent of federal highway funding to jurisdictions “in which the purchase or public possession of marijuana for recreational purposes is lawful.” Introduction of the bill comes less than a week before a tribe in Edwards’s home state votes on an adult-use marijuana legalization referendum.
Edwards argues that state and tribal laws allowing cannabis use by adults are an affront to U.S. law.

I know it's almost impossible to enforce laws against use of marijuana, but on the other hand, I do worry that people are going to be driving around very stoned.  Now, you can say it doesn't affect your driving ability, but way back when I smoked that stuff, there was no way I could drive a car while I was stoned, and I know a lot of other people who were the same way.
(09-04-2023, 09:19 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-03-2023, 07:21 PM)The Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]Probably just trying to make a name for himself........ Get with the times Congress........

I know it's almost impossible to enforce laws against use of marijuana, but on the other hand, I do worry that people are going to be driving around very stoned.  Now, you can say it doesn't affect your driving ability, but way back when I smoked that stuff, there was no way I could drive a car while I was stoned, and I know a lot of other people who were the same way.

I've gone back and forth on this a bit. The weed of today is so much different than the weed in the 70s and 80s. Some of it is incredibly potent. It's a lot more possible for people (especially inexperienced people) to get it over their heads so to speak. I do think it being schedule 1 is ridiculous and it should be legal for at least medical use and decriminalized in other cases. I question wide open recreational use though.

The driving thing...anyone who thinks they can drive safely while stoned is fooling themselves. I know a lot of people think they can but they're wrong.
(09-04-2023, 09:40 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-04-2023, 09:19 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]I know it's almost impossible to enforce laws against use of marijuana, but on the other hand, I do worry that people are going to be driving around very stoned.  Now, you can say it doesn't affect your driving ability, but way back when I smoked that stuff, there was no way I could drive a car while I was stoned, and I know a lot of other people who were the same way.

I've gone back and forth on this a bit. The weed of today is so much different than the weed in the 70s and 80s. Some of it is incredibly potent. It's a lot more possible for people (especially inexperienced people) to get it over their heads so to speak. I do think it being schedule 1 is ridiculous and it should be legal for at least medical use and decriminalized in other cases. I question wide open recreational use though.

The driving thing...anyone who thinks they can drive safely while stoned is fooling themselves. I know a lot of people think they can but they're wrong.

It even smells different, very skunky.
(09-04-2023, 11:20 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-04-2023, 09:40 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]I've gone back and forth on this a bit. The weed of today is so much different than the weed in the 70s and 80s. Some of it is incredibly potent. It's a lot more possible for people (especially inexperienced people) to get it over their heads so to speak. I do think it being schedule 1 is ridiculous and it should be legal for at least medical use and decriminalized in other cases. I question wide open recreational use though.

It even smells different, very skunky.

Yup, that's the potency.
I get in cars every day that are just saturated in weed smell. I make sure to do very good inspections they usually buy everything, they especially never want to break down.

Legalize it, decriminalize it, just regulate it like alcohol to me that's the best solution.
(09-04-2023, 08:57 PM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]I get in cars every day that are just saturated in weed smell. I make sure to do very good inspections they usually buy everything, they especially never want to break down.

Legalize it, decriminalize it, just regulate it like alcohol to me that's the best solution.

If you can get a DUI/DWI with alcohol you damn sure better get one when high on marijuana.
(09-07-2023, 07:51 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-04-2023, 08:57 PM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]I get in cars every day that are just saturated in weed smell. I make sure to do very good inspections they usually buy everything, they especially never want to break down.

If you can get a DUI/DWI with alcohol you damn sure better get one when high on marijuana.

Absolutely and local towns can make rules about if you can smoke in public or be high in public. This is to easy of a problem at this point.
(09-07-2023, 07:51 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]

It's been the case in Colorado for years.  Folks have been convicted for driving while high on pot. The original DUI laws were written broadly to cover all drugs that impair driving and they haven't changed.