Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Shelter State? See what it got,you............
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Massachusetts National Guard deployed to assist with spiraling migrant crisis as governor calls on White House

More than 6,000 migrant families are in emergency shelters across the state

Massachusetts National Guard members were officially deployed as "rapid response teams" Wednesday to assist with the state's bursting migrant shelters, as pressure mounts for President Biden to address the crisis in the state.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/massachusetts...hite-house
Those are new Democrat voters. They'll figure something out for them before the election. For sure.
(09-16-2023, 05:41 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Those are new Democrat voters. They'll figure something out for them before the election. For sure.

They're useless to them in an already deep blue state though.  Unless you abolish the electoral college as they'd like to do.
This is what pisses me off about conservatives. Latinos coming to this country ARE conservatives. Republicans reject them on principle, which I get, but it's a terrible long-term strategy.
(09-16-2023, 10:21 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]This is what pisses me off about conservatives. Latinos coming to this country ARE conservatives. Republicans reject them on principle, which I get, but it's a terrible long-term strategy.

Principles.  Plural.  Some good some bad.
But you're right.
(09-16-2023, 10:21 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]This is what pisses me off about conservatives. Latinos coming to this country ARE conservatives. Republicans reject them on principle, which I get, but it's a terrible long-term strategy.

Being governed by one's principles is a terrible long-term strategy?
(09-16-2023, 10:42 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]

Being governed by one's principles is a terrible long-term strategy?

If the principles conflict, and some of them are bad, yes.
The anti-immigrant principles are various.  
Some people are upset that the law is being broken.  If the law accommodated more legal immigrants, they wouldn't disagree.  
Some people think the immigrants are going to start receiving welfare and become deadbeats, but that's ignorant.
Some people think the immigrants are going to bring drugs and gang violence, and that's often true, but good police work and vetting can mitigate that.
Some people are trying to protect the value of the labor market.  That's protectionism, and we do need to protect the labor market, but at this juncture the labor market is tight. 
Some people are upset about the Spanish language becoming more and more prominent.  That's basically nationalism, but a bad version of it.  And there are some who distrust Catholics but that's much less than it used to be.
Finally we have the racists, including the people who don't realize they are racist.  
All of these people will resist changes to the status quo for different reasons.  Trying to unify them and lead them is precarious.
(09-16-2023, 11:04 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-16-2023, 10:42 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Being governed by one's principles is a terrible long-term strategy?

If the principles conflict, and some of them are bad, yes.
The anti-immigrant principles are various.  
Some people are upset that the law is being broken.  If the law accommodated more legal immigrants, they wouldn't disagree.  
Some people think the immigrants are going to start receiving welfare and become deadbeats, but that's ignorant.
Some people think the immigrants are going to bring drugs and gang violence, and that's often true, but good police work and vetting can mitigate that.

Some people are trying to protect the value of the labor market.  That's protectionism, and we do need to protect the labor market, but at this juncture the labor market is tight. 
Some people are upset about the Spanish language becoming more and more prominent.  That's basically nationalism, but a bad version of it.  And there are some who distrust Catholics but that's much less than it used to be.
Finally we have the racists, including the people who don't realize they are racist.  
All of these people will resist changes to the status quo for different reasons.  Trying to unify them and lead them is precarious.

That's the whole point of the law or laws, is it not? The whole argument stems from too many illegal immigrants flooding into the country. I don't live in a sanctuary city. I don't live along the border of Texas/California/Mexico. As far as all immigrants being deadbeats, and collecting welfare? Sure, not all immigrants are the same. This rule applies to all colors and creeds. With that said. Again, I think the issue most people have is that those immigrants come into the country with better monthly benefits than actual citizens that have paid their dues here already. 

As far drugs and violence, does that statement not bother you a little bit? If it's "often" true? Why are we not tightening up on immigration? Especially if it's more than likely the illegal ones that are doing this? As far as good police work and vetting processes. How can this be achieved in our society when it's being demonized for taking harsh, preventive measures to keep this from becoming a theme? Also, it's pretty obvious who runs Mexico. It's also been made apparent that we already have small locations and towns on our side of the border that are more than likely already controlled by said group who runs Mexico. 

The labor market is a touchy one for me. The jobs these people cry about that these immigrants take are not the jobs that the average US citizen truly wants nor desires. Let's just be real. Hard labor is a [BLEEP]. We've been conditioned to thrive in air condition. The job market is [BLEEP] because the politicians are in place to protect corporations, banks and wall street. Not the average US family. Just the reality of it. 

The language barrier is understandable. I live in Jacksonville. I work with a lot of folks along the east coast. Especially in South Florida. It is what it is. I don't think it's so much as another language. It's the fact that, whether you like it or not, or, we like it or not, English is the predominant language here. When you encounter people that clearly cannot speak it? In areas of service? It's aggravating. My wife is Bosnian. I have been to her country. And around her family. I am a fish out of water most of the time. However, that comes with the territory, as I personally took that on for myself.

Pretty sure most Americans DID NOT sign up for this influx of immigration with non speaking English folk entering the country. It's common sense really. 

Racists are racists. That's everywhere unfortunately. That will never go away. Unless we agree to start banging each other for fun. Which, hey. I am down for that party. I liked Alexander the Great's idea. Breed them out. Take them all in. We usually kill those people or something intervenes on a divine level. Just no prima nocta. That wasn't cool. Even though it probably explains why I have some Irish and Scottish heritage in my veins.
Immigrants simply do not receive welfare payments or food stamps or chip or medicaid. It does not happen. If you say the reason you don't want them here is because they get better benefits than we get, that is false and you are wrong.
(09-16-2023, 01:32 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Immigrants simply do not receive welfare payments or food stamps or chip or medicaid. It does not happen. If you say the reason you don't want them here is because they get better benefits than we get, that is false and you are wrong.
https://youtu.be/fDktMAFeFQQ?si=RkEsR9PANa9vehIe

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

https://youtu.be/Bc-S4J5KyiI?si=n8SHtjGcKUJblbd6

https://youtu.be/Un21cdI_6ko?si=5PsBg8eaKYFF2EpP

https://youtu.be/SgqApO_yt8A?si=fUmGEumeK45nGX--

(09-16-2023, 01:47 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-16-2023, 01:32 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Immigrants simply do not receive welfare payments or food stamps or chip or medicaid.  It does not happen.  If you say the reason you don't want them here is because they get better benefits than we get, that is false and you are wrong.
https://youtu.be/fDktMAFeFQQ?si=RkEsR9PANa9vehIe

Right.  They get no federal aid.  They are upset about it.  Sometimes they get state and local aid.  Usually they don't.
(09-16-2023, 02:28 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-16-2023, 01:47 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]https://youtu.be/fDktMAFeFQQ?si=RkEsR9PANa9vehIe

Right.  They get no federal aid.  They are upset about it.  Sometimes they get state and local aid.  Usually they don't.

Which is why people are mostly upset. Why is the federal aspect of our country not stepping in and intervening to help balance it all out for everybody else in need?
(09-16-2023, 02:29 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-16-2023, 02:28 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Right.  They get no federal aid.  They are upset about it.  Sometimes they get state and local aid.  Usually they don't.

Which is why people are mostly upset. Why is the federal aspect of our country not stepping in and intervening to help balance it all out for everybody else in need?

Wait, so you would be less upset if some of these migrants got federally funded benefits?
(09-16-2023, 03:01 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-16-2023, 02:29 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Which is why people are mostly upset. Why is the federal aspect of our country not stepping in and intervening to help balance it all out for everybody else in need?

Wait, so you would be less upset if some of these migrants got federally funded benefits?
No. I am saying. Where is the balance? Where is the support for the black communities? Where is the support for the tax payers? The communities that have already been disenfranchised?

How is it okay to ask these people to foot a $51M bill, for a problem they did not create nor personally ask for? While we're in the middle of inflation?

I am all for legal immigrants getting accounted for. For them having a chance here. However, what about these people? Don't they deserve better? Can we not do better?

Surely, we can balance some of this out. I mean, just look at all that Ukraine money and Israel money over the years. Are we going to put our nation's people first? Or, continue to sell them out and push them further down the pecking order?

This feels awfully like class warfare. This feels awfully like things that started tearing down Empires. You can only spread your people and it's resources so far before it's beyond thin.

Unless you're Ukraine, Israel or the Military Industrial Complex apparently.

(09-16-2023, 01:32 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Immigrants simply do not receive welfare payments or food stamps or chip or medicaid.  It does not happen.  If you say the reason you don't want them here is because they get better benefits than we get, that is false and you are wrong.

LOL. Yes it does.
(09-16-2023, 04:29 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-16-2023, 03:01 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ] Wait, so you would be less upset if some of these migrants got federally funded benefits?
No. I am saying. Where is the balance? Where is the support for the black communities? Where is the support for the tax payers? The communities that have already been disenfranchised?

How is it okay to ask these people to foot a $51M bill, for a problem they did not create nor personally ask for? While we're in the middle of inflation?

I am all for legal immigrants getting accounted for. For them having a chance here. However, what about these people? Don't they deserve better? Can we not do better?

Surely, we can balance some of this out. I mean, just look at all that Ukraine money and Israel money over the years. Are we going to put our nation's people first? Or, continue to sell them out and push them further down the pecking order?

This feels awfully like class warfare. This feels awfully like things that started tearing down Empires. You can only spread your people and it's resources so far before it's beyond thin.

Unless you're Ukraine, Israel or the Military Industrial Complex apparently.

It is and it's everywhere all the time affecting everyone but it's often called something else. Black and brown people aren't the only poor people in this country but it's better for the politicians to play this card. I have known some extremely poor white families. I'm talking extreme. Go deep into the hills and mountains of NC, VA, WVA, and KY and you'll see poverty that would make the housing projects and neighborhoods of Chicago, NYC, Detroit, Baltimore, etc., look luxurious. But no one talks about them because they're almost all white. And they possibly don't vote. 

I realize you're talking about something a bit different but that small, bolded sentence, specifically the last two words, is being waged in America on several fronts but no one talks about it.