Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: James Sample placed on IR
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Another lost season for him. Even before the injury, he had not really done anything of note.

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Jagu...561c0f7cf3

next year it's do or die for him.

otherwise he is cut

If belicheck was head coach of this team, he would be cut.
Josh Evans is breathing easy now.

Agreed, hopefully he takes the time to work on his technique and learn the defense.

Quote:Another lost season for him. Even before the injury, he had not really done anything of note.

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Jagu...561c0f7cf3

Extremely disappointing, was hoping he'd push Cyp
I think the team had to make this move.

he hasn't played - so we don't know that he CAN play.

why keep him on the roster in that case?  Why cut him, when he hasn't played yet?

I don't believe his injury was season ending, but this is the only way to keep him

Which 2 Safeties do they keep? Among Thompson, Evans, Wilson? Has Wilson done enough to take a spot from someone? Thompson and Evans haven't looked all that great, particularly in coverage.

Quote:Which 2 Safeties do they keep? Among Thompson, Evans, Wilson? Has Wilson done enough to take a spot from someone? Thompson and Evans haven't looked all that great, particularly in coverage.

I'm guessing they will keep Evans and Thompson and then try and hide Wilson on the PS.
Quote:Which 2 Safeties do they keep? Among Thompson, Evans, Wilson? Has Wilson done enough to take a spot from someone? Thompson and Evans haven't looked all that great, particularly in coverage.

It sounds like Thompson is a lock as the backup free safety.

I think Evans is probably the safer player, but I doubt he's on the roster after this year. So do you risk losing Wilson off the practice squad by keeping Evans?

I'll lean towards keeping Wilson.
Of note also is Jacobs was released. Probably a good sign for Ben Koyack.

Caldwell's fourth round picks haven't been very good.

Ace Sanders, Aaron Colvin, James Sample, Sheldon Day

Cut, Suspended, IR, possible IR

Laid the wood, broke the bat.

Quote:Caldwell's fourth round picks haven't been very good.

Ace Sanders, Aaron Colvin, James Sample, Sheldon Day

Cut, Suspended, IR, possible IR
Well Colvin is pretty solid and Sheldon Day hasn't played yet.
Quote:Well Colvin is pretty solid and Sheldon Day hasn't played yet.

Colvin is a decent player but has a four game suspension. And Day hasn't played. That's the point. Not one of his fourth rounders is likely to see the field the first month.
Quote:I'm guessing they will keep Evans and Thompson and then try and hide Wilson on the PS.

Eye got Jack
I think you're being a tad harsh. Colvin is very talented and is a good young player, plenty of good players get suspended (Brady, Bell etc). Sample is injured again so hard to judge, he's seemed decent when he's played though. Day is a rookie and Sanders was the 2013 draft but I agree on him.

If he keeps picking up great third rounders I don't mind to be honest.

Sanders provided more value then you would expect of a 4th rounder in his rookie year. Colvin played better than a typical 4th round pick last season as well, no reason to believe that can't/won't continue, but even if it doesn't, gave the team a solid season. Sample and Day haven't played..You can't predict injuries...

I'm much more concerned with 1st, 2nd, even 3rd round picks becoming starters as you might expect vs. lower drafted players who aren't typically expected to be long term starters. The failure of Joeckel at T and thus far G would be my biggest complaint for any of Caldwell's picks. Cyprien really needs to play better as well, otherwise the 2013 draft grade will certainly be a bad one. 2014 looks amazing so far, and 2015 has great potential.

That's too bad had hopes Sample could see the field a lot this season

Quote:Sanders provided more value then you would expect of a 4th rounder in his rookie year. Colvin played better than a typical 4th round pick last season as well, no reason to believe that can't/won't continue, but even if it doesn't, gave the team a solid season. Sample and Day haven't played..You can't predict injuries...

I'm much more concerned with 1st, 2nd, even 3rd round picks becoming starters as you might expect vs. lower drafted players who aren't typically expected to be long term starters. The failure of Joeckel at T and thus far G would be my biggest complaint for any of Caldwell's picks. Cyprien really needs to play better as well, otherwise the 2013 draft grade will certainly be a bad one. 2014 looks amazing so far, and 2015 has great potential.
The only things I can defend Caldwell on 2013 are: His first draft as GM, terrible draft for most teams & he was using Gene Smith's scouts that year.

Pages: 1 2 3