Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 65,000 stayed on food stamp rolls despite winning big in lottery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I despise people who abuse the system. They're taking away funds from the people that really need the help.......

65,000 stayed on food stamp rolls despite winning big in lottery, government data show

Food stamp spending has doubled from $60 billion in 2019 to $120 billion last year

A government watchdog group uncovered that well over 65,000 substantial lottery winners since 2019 continued collecting food stamps, even when they were over the federal income threshold for the program. 

The Foundation for Government Accountability’s survey of data from thirteen states shows recipients of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), commonly known as food stamps, took home substantial lottery winnings ranging from $4,250 to $2 million, all amounts above the federal asset threshold to qualify for the government assistance program.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/65000-stayed-...-data-show#
They should have to pay it back.
People on food stamps should not be buying lottery tickets in the first place.
(10-24-2023, 01:41 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]People on food stamps should not be buying lottery tickets in the first place.

Or having more kids out of wedlock, but the irony is that’s how they get more handouts.

Pay them like the military pays service members with dependents; one rate regardless of how many they have. A married service member, of equal rank, with a spouse and no children was paid the same as me with a spouse and five children. But politicians can’t get votes that way. 

And that, boys and girls, is how lower classes are perpetuated. In Washington, it’s the gift that keeps on giving.
That was by design. Our whole welfare system is a trap based on bad ideology.
(10-24-2023, 04:13 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]That was by design. Our whole welfare system is a trap based on bad ideology.

Keep everyone ignorant, poor, on welfare and voting democrat..
Teach a man to fish and he'll feed himself for a day. Give a man a fish and you've got a Democrat voter for life.
There's been that many big lottery winners? That's crazy
(10-28-2023, 03:35 PM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]There's been that many big lottery winners? That's crazy

It does seem like a large number. Even more surprising is having $4200 in assets apparently puts you over the limit for food stamps.
(10-28-2023, 03:46 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2023, 03:35 PM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]There's been that many big lottery winners? That's crazy

It does seem like a large number. Even more surprising is having $4200 in assets apparently puts you over the limit for food stamps.

working full time puts you out of food stamps consideration. I just don't see how someone wins the lottery and then still gets food stamps? 65,000 cases of fraud and we didn't catch it?
The article is not very clear.  It keeps switching between "assets" and "income," which are two completely different things.  For example: 

"A government watchdog group uncovered that well over 65,000 substantial lottery winners since 2019 continued collecting food stamps, even when they were over the federal income threshold for the program.

The Foundation for Government Accountability’s survey of data from thirteen states shows recipients of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), commonly known as food stamps, took home substantial lottery winnings ranging from $4,250 to $2 million, all amounts above the federal asset threshold to qualify for the government assistance program."

Which one is it?  Income threshold or asset threshold?  For example, a person can win $4,250, and have income of $4,250, but assets of 0, if they use the money to pay their credit card bills.
(10-29-2023, 08:18 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]The article is not very clear.  It keeps switching between "assets" and "income," which are two completely different things.  For example: 

"A government watchdog group uncovered that well over 65,000 substantial lottery winners since 2019 continued collecting food stamps, even when they were over the federal income threshold for the program.

The Foundation for Government Accountability’s survey of data from thirteen states shows recipients of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), commonly known as food stamps, took home substantial lottery winnings ranging from $4,250 to $2 million, all amounts above the federal asset threshold to qualify for the government assistance program."

Which one is it?  Income threshold or asset threshold?

Income, that's why they have to recertify each year. And also why winning the lottery this year doesn't change their income next year. If you won $5k in the lottery do you really think that's going to solve your income gap next year? This is a nonsense article written to generate a Drifter Thread.
(10-28-2023, 06:32 PM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2023, 03:46 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]It does seem like a large number. Even more surprising is having $4200 in assets apparently puts you over the limit for food stamps.

working full time puts you out of food stamps consideration. I just don't see how someone wins the lottery and then still gets food stamps? 65,000 cases of fraud and we didn't catch it?

Working full time doesn’t necessarily disqualify someone for SNAP benefits. There are some military families and minimum wage earners who are justifiably on the program. Winning 5K give or take on a scratch off ticket or a lottery won’t substantially affect that.
(11-02-2023, 02:11 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2023, 06:32 PM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]working full time puts you out of food stamps consideration. I just don't see how someone wins the lottery and then still gets food stamps? 65,000 cases of fraud and we didn't catch it?

Working full time doesn’t necessarily disqualify someone for SNAP benefits. There are some military families and minimum wage earners who are justifiably on the program. Winning 5K give or take on a scratch off ticket or a lottery won’t substantially affect that.

I know guys that make around 40-45k with a family of 3 or 4 and they don't qualify, blows my mind. The program is severely abused but the people that need it really need it. I wish it was more like the wic program where there's certain healthy benefiting products to choose from and provided. 

I remember our first kid was a wic baby and it really helped us, you got like 2 gallons of milk, a couple loads of bread, specific amount of fruits and veggies. Obviously we still got snap at that time, back then snap was just a debit card with x amount of dollars the more you made the less you got. The hardest part was when you finally started making enough they cut you off and it really was a set back until you could advance another 5-10k a year. Thankfully those days are long gone for us but I feel for people on those programs and wish it was better managed.
Down on the corner of Moncrief one can purchase EBT cards for a dime on the dollar. $200 card for $20 in cash. Whats that tell you about need verses availability and qualification?
(11-03-2023, 02:11 PM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]Down on the corner of Moncrief one can purchase EBT cards for a dime on the dollar. $200 card for $20 in cash. Whats that tell you about need verses availability and qualification?

That's been going on for years and years and it's all over..
(11-03-2023, 02:16 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2023, 02:11 PM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]Down on the corner of Moncrief one can purchase EBT cards for a dime on the dollar. $200 card for $20 in cash. Whats that tell you about need verses availability and qualification?

That's been going on for years and years and it's all over..

Yep, excellent way to get damn near free groceries.