Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags Run D Splits
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't know if any site provides this breakdown for free (if they do, save me some time and point me in that direction please), but I was curious about our run D splits so I reviewed the game logs and pulled all the run plays into a spreadsheet and noted runner, direction, yardage and credited tackler(s).  I included designed QB runs and ignored scrambles.  I've divided them into Left, Middle, Right.  3 plays made no note of direction (for 5 yards) so I included them in "Middle".  Read what you will, if anything, into the numbers.  

7 games reviewed
Opponents ran 136 total attempts for 476 yards or 3.5 per attempt
4 of those attempts resulted in a TD
50 of those attempts were to the left and resulted in a total of 206 yards or 4.12 per attempt
45 of those attempts were up the middle and resulted in a total of 146 yards or 3.24 per attempt
41 of those attempts attempts were to the right and resulted in a total of 124 yards or 3.02 per attempt
35 of those attempts resulted in no gain or a loss
16 of those attempts resulted in a loss (TFL)

Not that our numbers to the left are egregious, but we appear to be more stout up the middle and to the right.  This might be more of an Oluokun post as he plays RILB, but also Walker plays from the right.  Noted slight bias by opposing teams to run to the left which appears to be smart.  Thoughts?
(10-23-2023, 09:44 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know if any site provides this breakdown for free (if they do, save me some time and point me in that direction please), but I was curious about our run D splits so I reviewed the game logs and pulled all the run plays into a spreadsheet and noted runner, direction, yardage and credited tackler(s).  I included designed QB runs and ignored scrambles.  I've divided them into Left, Middle, Right.  3 plays made no note of direction (for 5 yards) so I included them in "Middle".  Read what you will, if anything, into the numbers.  

7 games reviewed
50 of those attempts were to the left and resulted in a total of 206 yards or 4.12 per attempt
45 of those attempts were up the middle and resulted in a total of 146 yards or 3.24 per attempt
41 of those attempts attempts were to the right and resulted in a total of 124 yards or 3.02 per attempt

Not that our numbers to the left are egregious, but we appear to be more stout up the middle and to the right.  This might be more of an Oluokun post as he plays RILB, but also Walker plays from the right.  Noted slight bias by opposing teams to run to the left which appears to be smart.  Thoughts?
Makes the most sense. If that's Allen's side where the pass rush is coming from. That's also Campbell's side in coverage so there's always a trade off I guess.

Curious what the down and distances are though and which quarters of play.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
(10-23-2023, 09:57 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-23-2023, 09:44 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know if any site provides this breakdown for free (if they do, save me some time and point me in that direction please), but I was curious about our run D splits so I reviewed the game logs and pulled all the run plays into a spreadsheet and noted runner, direction, yardage and credited tackler(s).  I included designed QB runs and ignored scrambles.  I've divided them into Left, Middle, Right.  3 plays made no note of direction (for 5 yards) so I included them in "Middle".  Read what you will, if anything, into the numbers.  

7 games reviewed

Makes the most sense. If that's Allen's side where the pass rush is coming from. That's also Campbell's side in coverage so there's always a trade off I guess.

Curious what the down and distances are though and which quarters of play.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Yea, I thought the Saints running backs were keying on Allen when they ran.  He moved in they hit the C gap, he come straight or out they hit the B gap.
Update through 11 games.

11 games reviewed
Opponents ran 205 total attempts for 793 yards or 3.87 per attempt (72.1 yards per game including designed QB runs, but minus scrambles)
6 of those attempts resulted in a TD
71 of those attempts were to the left and resulted in a total of 368 yards or 5.18 per attempt
67 of those attempts were up the middle and resulted in a total of 203 yards or 3.03 per attempt
67 of those attempts attempts were to the right and resulted in a total of 222 yards or 3.31 per attempt
45 of those attempts resulted in no gain or a loss
18 of those attempts resulted in a loss (TFL)

I will say that the increase in YPA to the left is due to a couple of long ones.  One by WR Chris Moore of the tacks for 38 yards and they turned the ball over on the next play anyway and another by Deebo for 23 yards which resulted in a TD.  Both were WR end arounds and I would chalk that more up to scheme than to suggest our Run D to the left is necessarily slipping.  Opposing offenses are generally having to get cute to generate a ground game for the most part.
(12-01-2023, 12:49 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]Update through 11 games.

11 games reviewed
Opponents ran 205 total attempts for 793 yards or 3.87 per attempt (72.1 yards per game including designed QB runs, but minus scrambles)
71 of those attempts were to the left and resulted in a total of 368 yards or 5.18 per attempt
67 of those attempts were up the middle and resulted in a total of 203 yards or 3.03 per attempt
67 of those attempts attempts were to the right and resulted in a total of 222 yards or 3.31 per attempt

I will say that the increase in YPA to the left is due to a couple of long ones.  One by WR Chris Moore of the tacks for 38 yards and they turned the ball over on the next play anyway and another by Deebo for 23 yards which resulted in a TD.  Both were WR end arounds and I would chalk that more up to scheme than to suggest our Run D to the left is necessarily slipping.  Opposing offenses are generally having to get cute to generate a ground game for the most part.

Yeah. They continue to do a great job overall against the run game. If they're running it to their left though, that would be towards Allen, most of the time, correct? 

Makes sense. If he's dead set on getting after the QB you would be better off catching him off guard or working his side anyway Vs. trying to get after Walker on the opposite side. Oluokon probably also plays towards that side more when they play a 3 - 4 look or nickel look.
(12-01-2023, 03:44 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-01-2023, 12:49 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]Update through 11 games.

11 games reviewed

Yeah. They continue to do a great job overall against the run game. If they're running it to their left though, that would be towards Allen, most of the time, correct? 

Makes sense. If he's dead set on getting after the QB you would be better off catching him off guard or working his side anyway Vs. trying to get after Walker on the opposite side. Oluokon probably also plays towards that side more when they play a 3 - 4 look or nickel look.

Yeah the left is Allen.  Has Allen ever shifted to another spot on a play or series?  I don't know.   Walker has shifted inside a handful of times.  Also, Oluokun is listed as the RILB so he would be closer to Walker than Allen most of the time, which likely accounts toward further strengthening the run D on that side.

I'm really interested to see this Defense once Campbell gets back.
(12-01-2023, 04:32 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-01-2023, 03:44 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah. They continue to do a great job overall against the run game. If they're running it to their left though, that would be towards Allen, most of the time, correct? 

Yeah the left is Allen.  Has Allen ever shifted to another spot on a play or series?  I don't know.   Walker has shifted inside a handful of times.  Also, Oluokun is listed as the RILB so he would be closer to Walker than Allen most of the time, which likely accounts toward further strengthening the run D on that side.

I'm really interested to see this Defense once Campbell gets back.

I think I have seen him move around a few times. He worked Tunsil at one point and then I believe he was on the other side working that RT when he sacked Stroud late to push them further away on that FG try.