Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Post Bye Week Personnel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Any changes you guys expecting after the bye?

Little will be back at LG, Zay/Campbell/Cisco should be back. 

I think we see Johnson in a more prominent role moving forward. 

I wonder if they work on ways to get Trevor some more passing TDs or if they just keep on keeping on with the current plan. By default having Zay back will probably lead to more production from Trevor as it opens up Kirk that much more or leaves Zay open. Agnew/Jones/Cook are ok, but they won’t be beating coverages the way Zay does (or the circus catches he can make)

If we make a move for a pass rusher now, having the bye to get them acclimated will be interesting to see how they utilize Walker in pure rushing situations. 

I’m excited to see this team against SF. It’s going to be a long, anxious 12 days of waiting. Feels like we’re getting ready for week 1 all over again
For me, it would be:

Offensively:
Hasty > Bigsby with Johnson seeing a minimum of 5 carries per game to relieve Etienne when or if needed in the RB2 role. Hasty can do a lot of things in the passing game.

Shatley getting some first team practice at Center with Little firmly back at LG. Fortner continues to struggle in allowing pressures. I think long term he's not going to be the answer there. I would consider moving him into RG to relieve Scherff in the very near future. That was his most familiar position at Kentucky to begin with.

Elijah Cooks at WR. I think I would like to see him more active and used in some unique packages if possible maybe stacked up with Engram in a spread out twin TE set inside the redzone. Would like to see more TE screen plays with Strange involved in particular.

Want to see more play action man. It's needed. Especially with Zay coming back as our primary deep threat. Need to start airing out the ball more when possible and giving Lawrence some opportunities to get outside of the pocket where he honestly feels more comfortable and natural as a passer at times.

Defensively:

Just keep doing what they're doing really. Caldwell was showing some nice 5 - 2 hybrid looks and against the Saints he was using Walker more inside. I think as Smoot and Hamilton get more comfortable and back in the full swing of things it'll be a nice rotational approach moving forward with this front seven.

I also would think guys like Wingard and Johnson have earned some opportunities to come in and play in some moments for us from the secondary. Both of those guys immediately made a difference in getting that win in Pittsburgh. I think both guys are pretty damn good tacklers. This would be the kind of guys I would want to see maybe blitzing after the QB more often while pursuing a potential running play on the way to the QB.

Enabling guys like Cisco to stay back in a single high look to play ball hawk in those interesting 2nd and 10+ situations. We've got some big time games coming up. Especially primetime slots with Ravens and Bengals. Good time to be a fan.
I'd still like to see Johnson get opportunities at the Nickel spot over Herndon
(10-31-2023, 08:11 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]I'd still like to see Johnson get opportunities at the Nickel spot over Herndon

I prefer the reliable veteran.  Rookies tend to make God-awful mistakes.
I don't think you force TDs by or to anyone. One thing we've seen is that this team is not poisoned by ego. They are focused on long-term goal, getting wins and making the postseason. We're not surprising anyone this year, it's known that we are going to be a tough weekend if we're on your schedule. Keep doing what works, why break it?

I think the trade deadline passes without activity. We're winning with the team we have, and look to return a few starters from injury. Can't help but think that can only bolster our roster.

Only changes I want to see are fewer names on the injury report. Get some rest, it's going to be a busy and long second half of the season.
(10-31-2023, 09:28 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think you force TDs by or to anyone. One thing we've seen is that this team is not poisoned by ego. They are focused on long-term goal, getting wins and making the postseason. We're not surprising anyone this year, it's known that we are going to be a tough weekend if we're on your schedule. Keep doing what works, why break it?

I think the trade deadline passes without activity. We're winning with the team we have, and look to return a few starters from injury. Can't help but think that can only bolster our roster.

Only changes I want to see are fewer names on the injury report. Get some rest, it's going to be a busy and long second half of the season.

That last part there in bold is why I want to see D. Johnson, Hasty, Strange & Cooks on offense along with Hamilton, A. Jonhson, Wingard & Smoot more on defense. To keep everybody rotating to stay, not only healthy and fresh, but, to also throw some different looks out there at our opponents on both sides of the football to keep them guessing. 

There was a good example of this in the Pittsburgh game and Charles Davis gave Press Taylor props for doing it. They specifically rolled out there with obvious run based personnel and in a specific package where they had kept running it a number of times. I forget the exact play but it was a nice gain and nice play design that ended up being a throw and catch. 

That's what I want to see more of. Presenting a set that gets a defense on it's toes. It was fun to see that happen to a good defense on Sunday. It was also good to see them using the screens more. It was hit or miss but when it hit it was pretty damn good out there. The best plays of the game for me on offense was that 1st and 20 play to Engram where he faked an out route and cut back inside for a chunk play. 

The other play was Ridley working underneath and drawing Etienne's coverage down to him which sprung him wide open along the sideline for the TD. That's the kind of stuff we need to see that puts them in that 2nd and 3rd level we know they're capable of reaching.