Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Basic things we do not see from this offense.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
-Stacking Receiver formations:  Ridley is being pressed almost weekly by tight man coverage.  Creative offenses stack receivers to prevent them from being engaged on the line.

- Tight Bunch Formations: We see this once in a blue moon but is almost key in any offense. This confuses defenses and often times allows one receiver to sneak through the confusion. This is a great 3rd and short formaiton.

- 2 tight end formation or Ace sets: We have engram on one side and we have Strange a second round pick on the other. I thought this would be our base formation with zay jones out.  

-PLay action on first down:  ETN has been a workhorse. There is no doubt that opposing defense's are focusing on shutting ETN down.  I would like to see some play action and deep shots now and then on first down.

-Power I on 3rd and short: Sometimes putting some big guys on the line and trying to overpower the defense is the best call.

-Taking Deep SHots:  I read recently the Jags are 32nd in receiver average route from the LOS. Meaning that many Jaguar plays have no deep shot option. Lawrence was deadly last year chucking the deep ball. This team needs to go back to taking more deep shots instead of relying on every drive to be 10+ plays.  I understand the offensive line is a problem but they do not get beat on every play and every game.  The 49ers literally sat down all game in zone coverage eliminating all the short stuff.
Agree totally about the two TE sets. Seems like a great formation when you have two talented TEs and a crap o-line. Get some extra beef up there for the running game.
(11-18-2023, 10:40 AM)Newton Wrote: [ -> ]Agree totally about the two TE sets. Seems like a great formation when you have two talented TEs and a crap o-line. Get some extra beef up there for the running game.

Strange just needs to play better and I think we will see more of it. One of the reasons they drafted him
Audibles
(11-18-2023, 12:55 AM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: [ -> ]-Stacking Receiver formations:  Ridley is being pressed almost weekly by tight man coverage.  Creative offenses stack receivers to prevent them from being engaged on the line.

- Tight Bunch Formations: We see this once in a blue moon but is almost key in any offense. This confuses defenses and often times allows one receiver to sneak through the confusion. This is a great 3rd and short formaiton.

- 2 tight end formation or Ace sets: We have engram on one side and we have Strange a second round pick on the other. I thought this would be our base formation with zay jones out.  

-PLay action on first down:  ETN has been a workhorse. There is no doubt that opposing defense's are focusing on shutting ETN down.  I would like to see some play action and deep shots now and then on first down.

-Power I on 3rd and short: Sometimes putting some big guys on the line and trying to overpower the defense is the best call.

-Taking Deep SHots:  I read recently the Jags are 32nd in receiver average route from the LOS. Meaning that many Jaguar plays have no deep shot option. Lawrence was deadly last year chucking the deep ball. This team needs to go back to taking more deep shots instead of relying on every drive to be 10+ plays.  I understand the offensive line is a problem but they do not get beat on every play and every game.  The 49ers literally sat down all game in zone coverage eliminating all the short stuff.

I would add utilizing the middle of the field in the passing game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ITA with the play action on first downs. They're going to work ETN into the ground like Carolina did with McCaffrey. And as you said, defenses know who to target because it's the same thing every time.

You watch almost any other team with a winning record and they mix things up and don't look so vanilla.
Jags need crossing routes and to work the mid range even if they don’t or can’t do deep range. The mid range is very important. You can’t live off the short range all the time, or the defense will not respect you, and they will jump on everything in that 10 yard range.
(11-18-2023, 07:11 PM)Jag88 Wrote: [ -> ]Jags need crossing routes and to work the mid range even if they don’t or can’t do deep range. The mid range is very important. You can’t live off the short range all the time or the defense will not respect you and they will jump on everything in that 10 yard range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What we don't see? The offensive line winning. Whether it's pass blocking or run blocking they lose much more often and more quickly than is sustainable to winning.
(11-18-2023, 07:20 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]What we don't see? The offensive line winning. Whether it's pass blocking or run blocking they lose much more often and more quickly than is sustainable to winning.

There was 1 game this year where the oline didn't allow any sacks
"Play calling doesn't matter"
(11-18-2023, 08:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]"Play calling doesn't matter"

Yeah. Imagine knowing and stating you have specific players that are weak at specific positions, and, as a fan, you just lay down and die and accept it. "Our interior sucks" [BLEEP] it. Let's keep letting our QB try and drop back or operate from the shotgun within the pocket though. Since it's been so effective. 

Yeah, there's NO WAY, that, you can call plays or scheme plays with the intent of moving away from that weakness during the field of play. There's NO WAY you can try and flush to the right or left a little bit more with intent with routes crossing, dragging or staggering out in tier levels of short - mid - deep to make up for that weakness. 

Nope. Just have to sit back, lay down and die, and accept it. If Etienne gets rolling, you can try and use more play action or RPO's (with the intent of the QB not running, we know, his knee is bad) but, that little bit of hesitation from the linebackers with that kind of action in the backfield here and there might give you just enough time to make a big throw downfield or over the middle somewhere.
Name a better duo

Jags qbs and making the easy throws look hella difficult
(11-19-2023, 12:18 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Name a better duo

Jags qbs and making the easy throws look hella difficult

ChrisJagBoy and making hella stupid posts.
(11-18-2023, 08:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]"Play calling doesn't matter"

The point is you guys are screaming for play calling that's actually worse considering our weaknesses. More power running? They can't block. Longer throws? Can't hold the blocks. Play action? No run threat that pulls the back 7 up and can't hold the blocks. The back up tight ends are playing 35 and 34 percent of snaps respectively. Ridley is the 1, his job is to.beat press coverage not hide from it.

In short there are basic reasons why you don't see what you think you want to see, and if you did see it, it's likely we just get more threads about how you don't like what you see. Title this thread Basic Stuff Doug Pederson Doesn't Understand About Football That I Do and really reflect on that statement. Denny Thompson took about 5 seconds to explain the problem on the radio yesterday, you guys just can't accept reality. That's ok, fans are prone to unrealistic expectations.