Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The most hated play in this offense?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My pick is easy.

Any shotgun formation on 3rd and 4th in short.
Why are you focused on a negative? How about What is your favorite play in this offense? Qui'cher [BLEEP].
Any play that doesn't score a TD on every call is my most hated play.
(11-27-2023, 12:54 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Any play that doesn't score a TD on every call is my most hated play.

"Whatever Press Taylor called last!"
I don't hate anything about our 8-3, AFCS-leading offense except how badly the OL has struggled in most games and our poor efficiency in the red zone.

The run game struggles are 80% OL related IMO.

Play calling has been good enough to win games. We'd all change a few things here and there but the play calling is sound.

They need to revamp the red zone page in the play book and they need to find some better short yardage run designs.
Pretty minor stuff when the plays they are calling have us at 8-3 against a bunch of teams with winning records.
(11-27-2023, 12:51 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: [ -> ]My pick is easy.

Any shotgun formation on 3rd and 4th in short.

Absolutely !!!
I agree with the effect of the O-line on the run game. Look a few of us knew this is what was going to happen this year. It was predictable this preseason. We began the year with our LT on 6 game suspension for PED's. The team said little about this and stood behind him. (maybe the use was to enhance recovery time between games the previous year?) We threw our shiny new rookie into the fire at RT. Our RG came into the season on a hurt ankle. Reserves were all either beat up or coming off major injuries and had very limited reps before the season. Our center? well let's not deal with that here. I cannot think of a worst way to begin a year.

I believe play calling has been done very well and has been done in a way to limp through games despite the offensive line. I do hate the times they get cute.

The red zone is another issue. They have a bunch of plays in that playbook. They are just afraid to call them. The other teams know this as well, thus the ones that go lateral to the goal line are keyed on. The touchdown sneak Trevor made by extending the ball had zero push by the o-line.

All in all this has been a pretty good ride this season. As a long term fan/season ticket holder I am uncomfortable or out of practice as how to behave LOL
(11-27-2023, 12:57 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I don't hate anything about our 8-3, AFCS-leading offense except how badly the OL has struggled in most games and our poor efficiency in the red zone.

The run game struggles are 80% OL related IMO.

Play calling has been good enough to win games. We'd all change a few things here and there but the play calling is sound.

They need to revamp the red zone page in the play book and they need to find some better short yardage run designs.
Pretty minor stuff when the plays they are calling have us at 8-3 against a bunch of teams with winning records.

Yep. This offense has shot itself in the foot a few times in their wins and losses. The drops in the redzone and endzone in particular or the untimely fumble while getting into a rhythm. 

The running game is abysmal. I didn't mind the swing pass attempts to Etienne in yesterday's game. It's better than getting into those 2nd and 11 or 2nd and 14 situations which in turn puts them in the 3rd and 4 trouble areas.

They're finding ways to move the football and spread it around though now. Farrell had some nice plays yesterday. Seems like it's going to inevitably set up a nice twin TE package look that could involve Engram finally getting a [BLEEP] TD this year. 

Short yardage run designs are tricky but I did like the Bigsby plays where he ran it directly out of the H-back slot. I also wouldn't mind seeing that very same pitch run that was blown up before half time yesterday ran on the left side next time. Little is quick at LT and can reach the 2nd level and Cleveland CLEARLY has a 2nd gear based on that screen play yesterday.

There's plenty of room and areas for this offense to grow. Which makes it fun as a fan on my end because they're still 8 - 3 and still nowhere near where they should be offensively. I think it's not mentioned enough. This offense is nowhere near it's surface yet. Sometimes it feels like they're nearing it and about to break through it consistently but they always have one or two head scratchers in a game.

It's fine.
We got rid of the play where the Guard does a pirouette before attempting a block, so the rest of em are fine in my book.

Every play call is awful when it fails; when it works, though, you're a genius. Doesn't matter if it's QB Dive, bubble screen or flea flicker.
The run where four defensive linemen somehow end up behind the offensive line, simultaneously, a quarter second after the snap.
OK, I'll play. In order of dislike:
Any double reverse flea flicker type of play. We never execute them.

Any forward pitch to a WR in motion across center.

Any bubble screen where the success of the play is dependent on a WR/TE holding thier block more than 1 second.